Rice substitutes

Topexeccoach_

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Type 2 following 5:2 diet guidelines. I have found and used Cauliflower 'rice' and Butternut Squash 'rice' to replace my previous over-generous portions of rice with a good degree of success. Anyone in forum used other alternatives successfully and willing to share?

Sent from my SM-G357FZ using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

Reactions: 2 people

AnandaUK

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
There is a brand called "Better Than" that does pastas and rice made from Konjac. Konjac has no carbs, is extremely low cal, and has been shown to help lower blood sugars. It works really well in curries and other dishes with a sauce. You wouldn't want to eat it on its own though as it doesn't have much flavour by itself.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

bobrobert

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Quinoa. Uncle Ben has a couple of varieties. Yesterday I had about 100grms, four slices of roast beef, a carrot and 5 very small tomatoes. 2 hours later 6.2 reading. The Quinoa was tasty.

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
Type 2 following 5:2 diet guidelines. I have found and used Cauliflower 'rice' and Butternut Squash 'rice' to replace my previous over-generous portions of rice with a good degree of success. Anyone in forum used other alternatives successfully and willing to share?

Sent from my SM-G357FZ using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app
Hi might try the butternut squash rice sounds good.:)

Quiller

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It may seem bit odd, but I sometimes have finely chopped savoy cabbage; the point is to have something bland (and low carb!) on which to serve a curry or chilli. Discard the tough outer green leaves, and use a quarter of the cabbage per person. Cut out the stalk then cut the cabbage into strips one way, turn 90 degrees and cut the other way - the object being to cut into as small pieces as possible. Rinse and put into microwavable dish and microwave with a little water for 2 to 3 minutes. Drain water, add some butter and microwave again for 2 to 3 minutes. One point to note is that the curry or chilli or whatever you serve it with should be fairly dry; rice can absorb the liquid from a "wet" curry, but obviously cabbage doesn't.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dry curried cauliflower is a great alternative to eat with curries. We used to make it with a cauli and potato mix (Aloo Gobi) before I became diabetic. There's plenty of recipes on Google for this, but ours came from an Indian cookery book.

Robbity