Help with kinked infusion sets

Pitsgate

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
A week ago I went through 5 quicksets in a day with all but last kinking. First 2 I inserted manually, last 3 with the serter (usually have no issues either way). Bg went obviously crazy with ketones and I corrected with old school needles but not quickly enough so it got out of hand, and the needle corrections made it difficult to determine if the new sets were working or not.
By the end, having started the process at lunchtime, I was in tears at 2am as it seemed impossible to get the **** things inserted & working. Have had kinked sets before but not in this scale!

So, I was hoping to hear some thoughts on infusion sets - which haven't worked for you and which have... Etc.
I guess it's a matter of me trying others, but as the quicksets (6mm) more often than not do actually work for me, it feels like a tiresome mission to properly test & find a set that won't fail me. Or am I after something that does not exist?

The metallic ones won't kink, but I find those a bit... unpleasant (and I don't like the idea of having 2 stickers on me). Perhaps I need to get over that as they seem the obvious choice.

I'm slim (with an athletic past, tho not currently in super shape) and only use the lower back/top of bottom/sides for the infusion sets. After 2 decades of injecting on the stomach I have complete aversion to using it these days, and my legs are fairly muscular so don't think they would work - might be wrong.
Any thoughts greatly appreciated. I love my pump but am really getting anxious over set changes.

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I had some problems with infusion sets but experiment with different types/lengths and now happy with what I use.
Started with 6mm steel cannulas (I'm on accu chek insight) which I liked a lot, but they discontinue producing them. Then moved to 6mm flex cannula which didn't work at all for me. Lots of occlusions, there was a day when I changed cannula five times! Next I tried tender link which was ok but the adhesive wasn't very good and cannula was falling off after a shower or one day of wearing. Now I'm on 8mm flex cannula which works well. No big problems so far

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Can't help regarding the sets but do make sure Medtronic replace the sets as they cost about £10 each.

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I had this exact problem with the quick sets, tried the mio and still the same, always kinking, I now use sure t, I know you say you aren't keen on them but I have never had a single issue in 2 years of using them, I was freaked at first there is a needle inside of me but you don't feel it at all and the 2 stickers thing doesn't bother me but I know we are all different.

Hope you get sorted!

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

Reactions: 2 people

iHs

I sometimes use steel needle Contact D sets which are more or less the same as Sure T. I don't use my tummy for them but insert in the top of my arm towards the side and stick the tail part of the set tube down onto a piece of thick plastic bag and then cut around the bag with a pair of scissors so that I'm only sticking the needle part of the set on my skin and the other part is loose but still enables me to unclipping the tube when I need to and re clip again.

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Some years ago I had this problem with insets and my DSN told me to put the sets in the fridge as it firms up the teflon and makes it less likely to kink. Worked for me then but as time went on I started to have other issues due to scar tissue. I now avoid the area with the problems.

I did find when I lost weight I also had issues and was told to try angled sets - the inset 30 for my pump. I didn't get on with these as well so gained a bit of weight back and my sets started working perfectly again. I also use bio oil to help keep sites in good condition.

candi-girl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Can't help regarding the sets but do make sure Medtronic replace the sets as they cost about £10 each.

Yes, def contact Medtronic to replace. I had to with 3 boxes as they all gave me terrible problems.

Pitsgate

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Great, thanks to all. Will concentrate on testing the angled and steel ones (on paradigm so silhouette & sure-t), tho the fridge-cooled cannulas are interesting too :). And will make sure Medtronic replaces - half a box in one day is not good...

@Mrsass, 2 years with no issues is brilliant! For that kind of security and confidence I'd love to get over my issues with the steel & extra patch. How often do you change the site with the sure-t's? And also, do yo know what's the thing on Medtronic site saying up to 2nd trimester of pregnancy with them? Not relevant to me at the moment, just wondering as it sounds odd.

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Pitsgate I change my site every 2 days as they are recommended for 2 rather than 3 as they could be likely to get infected if left in the skin too long, although I have left mine in until the 3rd morning on a fair few occasions and not had any problems but obviously I wouldn't recommend that.

I don't use the Medtronic site so I'm not sure but you might be talking about them being the best choice of cannula's when pregnant as they are stronger than the others so as your stomach gets harder later in pregnancy they are still able to be used if that is where you put them, I can vouch that's true as there is no chance any of the other sets would have got through my stomach at the moment lol

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

Dave9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi,I have been using quicksets for 9 years approx, about 4 months ago I started having problems with them, kinked cannulas mainly. I rang Medtronic who suggested using the Mio 30 which is primarily designed for slim athletic types and goes in at an angle of 30 degrees and uses a teflon cannula. It took a while for the clinic to approve this change of sets but I have been using them for the last couple of weeks. The set is self contained with its own built in insertion device and the tubing is separate, I have found it brilliant, I find it a bit more fiddly than the quick set but I am sure as I get more expert at using it it will be fine.

Pitsgate

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ah, good to hear, didn't know mio had other than the 90 degree ones. I tried them in the beginning when i started with the pump but went for the quicksets as they worked fine then...
So far have now tested a few sure-ts and silhouettes. Both fine but the sure-t feels special... such a relief not having to stress whether it works or not. Tho changing every 2 days is a bit of a pain...
Silhouettes were ok too but I was somehow more aware of them and they seemed to leave a larger mark. Maybe down to my insertion technique - not quite got the hang of the angled approach (no inserter device so it's been manual). I have no needle phobia but did find the silhouettes pretty difficult (as in scary) to insert.
Will ask for mio30s next and see how they feel. Thank you!

Reactions: 2 people

tigger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
registrars asking silly questions
I also had that experience with the quicksets. I've used silhouettes for about 9 months manually inserted. I found in the beginning numbing the area with an ice pack helped as the needle can be a bit brutal. They do leave marks. I'm a bit scared of the inserter device. Memories of the autolet if you're old enough to recall.

I've recently started using mios on my back and so far it's going really well. The 90 ones. Painless, easy and so far no occlusions.

Pitsgate

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yeah, the silhouettes feel bit brutal! When I first had a look at it I went *** as assumed I was supposed to get the needle in with the blue needle cover on which I mistook for the cannula (like on quicksets). Not sure what I was thinking, perhaps I was a touch low.
Things slightly improved when I figured out to remove the cover (properly looked at the manual, yawn) but still, of all the sets it's been the toughest one to get in. But you've got more comfortable with them then @tigger? And you don't use the inserter at all? I struggled to get a feel of the angle, thought the inserter might help. Tho it does look quite... unfriendly.

I'm getting more sure-t's and some new mios to see how they work in longer use - changing the set every two days is currently my main issue with the sure-t. I fear I may be too lazy for that.

tigger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
registrars asking silly questions
Yes @Pitsgate . I simply take 90° then half it and do slightly less. They are relatively easy to put in after a while. I'm still working up the nerve to try the inserter. I'm enjoying the mios (less painful ) but getting very erratic readings on my back so will have to move further down. Pity. It was a really comfy easy site.