Addison's and Diabetes

Pat13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I saw this quite recently and would like to communicate with the person who placed this:

"I recently ran 5km in 20:20. I haven't run that fast since I was 19. That was 37 years ago. How? Doctors at the Medical Board have suggested I might be using prednisolone to manage my diabetes. No, this is not a misprint.
After I suggested they amend or retract it, they chose instead to repeat it.
Yes, they know I have Addison's.
Has anyone else had success using "prednisolone .. to manage (their) Type 1 diabetes."

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate

Pat13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Pat is talking about steroid use for Addison's disease which is a different kettle of fish :) I answered her question on another diabetes forum this morning.
Thanks for this. Sorry I didn't see your other response.

nietos3

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I saw this quite recently and would like to communicate with the person who placed this:

"I recently ran 5km in 20:20. I haven't run that fast since I was 19. That was 37 years ago. How? Doctors at the Medical Board have suggested I might be using prednisolone to manage my diabetes. No, this is not a misprint.
After I suggested they amend or retract it, they chose instead to repeat it.
Yes, they know I have Addison's.
Has anyone else had success using "prednisolone .. to manage (their) Type 1 diabetes."
Hi I read your message and noticed that this medication is what I have to take to protect my new kidney transplant. I take 5 mg a day. I am all new to this only been told I was type 1 in January this year. When I next go to Addenbrookes I will ask them about the consequences of my medication. It is the result of all my medication I have to take everyday which induced my type 1 to happen. It was mentioned that possibly my medication would have to be altered and kept a check on. I haven't been out the house since I was diagnosed in January but now I feel able I will ask them when I go.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Pat the person you are referring to has type 1 diabetes and Addison's disease his health board (Canada) are having a brain malfunction and are accusing him of misappropriate prescription usage, which is obviously very wrong as many type 1's with Addison's use Pred and HC to control their Addison's disease which in turn controls their diabetes.
This is the post you are referring too http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/steroids-for-diabetes.101038/#post-1151201

Last edited by a moderator:

Pat13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi I read your message and noticed that this medication is what I have to take to protect my new kidney transplant. I take 5 mg a day. I am all new to this only been told I was type 1 in January this year. When I next go to Addenbrookes I will ask them about the consequences of my medication. It is the result of all my medication I have to take everyday which induced my type 1 to happen. It was mentioned that possibly my medication would have to be altered and kept a check on. I haven't been out the house since I was diagnosed in January but now I feel able I will ask them when I go.
Good luck all round! I don't know much about this medication - my daughter has both Addison's and type 1 and is having great problems keeping going really.