Advice/Opinions on Insulin Pump Insurance.

Jems7

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Rudeness and ignorance!
Hey guys!
Have been looking into insurance for my insulin pump as I just didn't feel my contents insurance covered myself too greatly!
I've found a company called "Insurance4InsulinPumps" and the quote per month is fairly reasonable!
I just wondered if anyone has used this company before and If they are as good as they seem ?

Thanks!!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I've seen the company mentioned on the forum before, I'll tag a few experienced pump users who may know something about them @azure @CarbsRok @iHs

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Jems7 :)

I'm afraid I don't know anything about that particular company. My pump is insured under my Contents insurance. I listed it as an individual item as it's obviously not cheap. I dint think it increased my premium much, if at all.

Hopefully, some other pump users will be able to help out.

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
Here is some information. It might be worthwhile contacting your current contents insurer to see if they will cover your pump and in what circumstances eg loss, breakage etc. before looking at additional cover.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/insulin-pump-insurance.html

Regards

Doug

iHs

I've done the same as Azure.....the pump is covered as a named item on my household contents insurance with no increase in premium

fozzie84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey guys!
Have been looking into insurance for my insulin pump as I just didn't feel my contents insurance covered myself too greatly!
I've found a company called "Insurance4InsulinPumps" and the quote per month is fairly reasonable!
I just wondered if anyone has used this company before and If they are as good as they seem ?

Thanks!!

I have mine insured with this company - can't comment on how they behave during any claims, as so far have had no need to use it, but I felt more confident that they would provide a quicker service if needed. Based on other comments I read previously about questions asked by home insurance providers I'm not convinced all insurers would fully understand the device and act at the speed I would personally want mine replaced, but that's just me. It would be interesting to hear if anyone has claimed on their home insurance and how easy/quick it was.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
My pump is insured on home contents ins as a separate medical device, just make sure they know that where you go the pump goes as well.

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've just done the reverse and gone back to pump insurance 4 you from home insurance. My premium went up a lot when I added my pump and I honestly felt they didn't have a clue (will it be kept in a safe?!). Also I'm going on holiday so the loaner pump is covered for free with this company.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Mine is simply covered under the contents part of my home insurance as it covers all risks worldwide.

paulliljeros

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
My contents insurance would have increased by well over £150 per year, and they would only insure the pump when it was inside the house ... I guessed they weren't used to insuring pumps so I opted for Insurance4InsulinPumps instead. Afraid I can't comment on how good they are, as have not had to claim yet, but did not see anything negative in my brief research.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
My ins company charged me about £17 for the year.

Medusa41

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have mine insured with this company - can't comment on how they behave during any claims, as so far have had no need to use it, but I felt more confident that they would provide a quicker service if needed. Based on other comments I read previously about questions asked by home insurance providers I'm not convinced all insurers would fully understand the device and act at the speed I would personally want mine replaced, but that's just me. It would be interesting to hear if anyone has claimed on their home insurance and how easy/quick it was.

Hi. I insured mine with this company when I got it last month. I liked the fact they could get a replacement to me within 48 hours. It wasn't too expensive either.