Vodka + Full Fat Coke = Normal BS

Li4m79

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
First off this is NOT an exact equation, but for me I feel this is strange....

From my teen days, i've always been a bit of a "lad" and for many years my drink has always been Double Vodka Cokes. Anyone that knows me, knows this is my drink!!... This has been the hardest habit of mine to break. I have cut out sugar from all areas of my diet, carbs are no more.. i'm managing LCHF life pretty good i think. However, I still binge on the old voddy cokes. Now 1 can of coke will do me 3 doubles and on an average Friday after work i'll go through 3 or 4 cans in a few hours.

No i check my bloods regulary, and I used to spike up to about 9 after drink lots but it would come down relatively quickly, but last weekend on the friday, I checked and I never went above 6.5. I had a leaving party to attend on the Sunday, so again tested throughout and again never went above 6.5. I checked on 2 separate monitors. Only reason I find this strange is after eating a few biscuits and some crisps last week, i spiked up to 10...

I know alcohol can reduce sugar levels but can this really be a nice clean balance for me?!?!?! Does this mean I can drink non diet drinks as long as i'm getting drunk at the same time???

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
First off this is NOT an exact equation, but for me I feel this is strange....

From my teen days, i've always been a bit of a "lad" and for many years my drink has always been Double Vodka Cokes. Anyone that knows me, knows this is my drink!!... This has been the hardest habit of mine to break. I have cut out sugar from all areas of my diet, carbs are no more.. i'm managing LCHF life pretty good i think. However, I still binge on the old voddy cokes. Now 1 can of coke will do me 3 doubles and on an average Friday after work i'll go through 3 or 4 cans in a few hours.

No i check my bloods regulary, and I used to spike up to about 9 after drink lots but it would come down relatively quickly, but last weekend on the friday, I checked and I never went above 6.5. I had a leaving party to attend on the Sunday, so again tested throughout and again never went above 6.5. I checked on 2 separate monitors. Only reason I find this strange is after eating a few biscuits and some crisps last week, i spiked up to 10...

I know alcohol can reduce sugar levels but can this really be a nice clean balance for me?!?!?! Does this mean I can drink non diet drinks as long as i'm getting drunk at the same time???

When do you test, in relation to the binge drinking? The human body can process about 1 unit of alcohol per hour, you might find that your glucose levels increase later once the alcohol has been sucked up.

Li4m79

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
ok friday night, I started after work at about 9pm, got home at about 00.30 and tested at about 1am where I was 6.1 . Following morning my wake up BS was 6.7.... As I said I used to see a noticeable spike, albeit not a huge one, but now nothing... I will need to maybe do some more testing into this

Sirmione

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Donald Trump
Starchy carbohydrates cause me much more of a problem than sugars --- my personal theory is that a sudden consumption sugars produce a more extreme stimulus to provokes release of insulin --- the proverbial Monty Python "poke in the eye with a sharp stick" which can't be a good thing in the longterm for my insulin resistance so I don't make a habit of it,

S

Sean01

4 cans x 3 doubles - 24 shots of vodka on a Friday night. I bet your Saturdays are quiet. I'm not here to judge, but you are T2 (same here) your body has decided, for whatever reason, that it no longer wants to play ball with managing your sugar levels. The Liver caries out literally hundreds of vital functions - some related to sugar conversion/storage/release. I would start taking a bit more care.

Reactions: 4 people

Li4m79

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree, i do look at my diabetes as my body giving me a subtle sign, and to be honest this is my only vice that i'm finding hard to curve... I don't drink at home, i don't drink during the week, but the habit of a friday night and the weekend is pretty much encoded into my dna now!.... I work long shifts, up to 13hours a day, i'm on my feet for all of them in a hot sometimes stressful kitchen. I have the day to day stresses of life and work, and this release at a weekend is a great calmer for me. I think most Chefs, have one vice or another..

ps: and my Saturdays are spent, up early for another day at work!! Ironically i'm only really off on a wed/thur!!!

Reactions: 2 people

paulliljeros

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
The Liver caries out literally hundreds of vital functions - some related to sugar conversion/storage/release. I would start taking a bit more care.
A doctor simply explained to me some time back that I only have one liver, and I NEED it to process the medication I swallow. If I don't have a functioning liver, I can't absorb medication, and the game is over. My life is dependent on medication. and so I do not underestimate the importance of this organ!

S

Sean01

I agree, i do look at my diabetes as my body giving me a subtle sign, and to be honest this is my only vice that i'm finding hard to curve... I don't drink at home, i don't drink during the week, but the habit of a friday night and the weekend is pretty much encoded into my dna now!.... I work long shifts, up to 13hours a day, i'm on my feet for all of them in a hot sometimes stressful kitchen. I have the day to day stresses of life and work, and this release at a weekend is a great calmer for me. I think most Chefs, have one vice or another..

ps: and my Saturdays are spent, up early for another day at work!! Ironically i'm only really off on a wed/thur!!!
Totally get it - I stress just making the sunday lunch for 4 of us. We all have our vices - mine used to be food and drink - mainly food - hence 'T2' . Good to see we are still speaking!!

Reactions: 2 people

Li4m79

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I just wanted to state especially for @Galja , A lot of what I say will nearly always carry a humorous or sarcastic undertone. Ultimately I was perplexed as to how my levels didn't spike. I know that the "lad" lifestyle over the years has done (medically) no favours for me, and believe me, compared to 10 years ago I have slowed down big time, and after being diagnosed with T2D, i'm just trying to find the balance of what works and what doesn't..

@Sean01 takes a lot for me not to speak to someone buddy!!

Reactions: 4 people