Scary drop long after insulin

itconor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This morning I woke up high fairly normal at this point. I had 2.5cps worth of cereal and a 4 correction dose as I was 18, I stayed high dispite this but then a werid thing happened. 3 hours after I injected I got the worst drop ever I noticed I was dropping fast and ate about 5cps worth of jelly babies . This seemed to have no effect as 10 mins later I was still rapidly dropping, starting to panic I drank an entire small bottle of lucosade as I was alone.

This brought me back but not before dipping to 3.8 nearly half an hour after o ate the jelly babies. I had a 4cp lunch and took 6 units, I then started to drop again fearing the worst I took some more lucosade , I'm starting to regain it in now but it was panic inducing and it happened outside of my normal danger zone for lows (2 hours after I inject )
ca2f146fe2d0fa532b872473aae03063.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
That is peculiar and strange why it took so much glucose to get your bg levels back up, had something similar happen 2 years ago and it was a scary moment, hopefully yours will be one-off @itconor and tomorrow will be fine.

kayesimpson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Small minded people. Also people who judge a book by its cover
I have been the same tonight. Mines dropped to 3.6 drank a glass of coke then it went to 3.3 crazy feeling I've had some glucogel so need to wait 5 minster and check again. Very unusual for me.

itconor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That is peculiar and strange why it took so much glucose to get your bg levels back up, had something similar happen 2 years ago and it was a scary moment, hopefully yours will be one-off @itconor and tomorrow will be fine.
Im thinking i may bave an injection site issue, this has happened before, possibly a delayed release of the morning dose of novo rapid

itconor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been the same tonight. Mines dropped to 3.6 drank a glass of coke then it went to 3.3 crazy feeling I've had some glucogel so need to wait 5 minster and check again. Very unusual for me.
hope your allright remember the Glucogels are only 10G Carbs take at least 2.

Reactions: 2 people

kayesimpson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Yeah I will take another. Don't know if to take my lantus now as am so low mo.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Im thinking i may bave an injection site issue, this has happened before, possibly a delayed release of the morning dose of novo rapid

Yes that's quite possible, maybe leave that site well alone for the time-being.

kayesimpson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I've had glass of cola 2 glucogel and a Mars bar lifted it to 4. But still not sure to do about my lantus. Feel silly phoning NHS 24 but I don't want it dip during the night.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Have you tried a different injection site for your Lantus?

Flakey Bake

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had a scary drop like that. I had to practically eat my own body weight in sugar to correct. My drop happened because my big dose of lantus basal went into a vein rather than subcut. I now avoid that particularly veiny area of my thigh. Out of interest had you just taken a basal dose?

Reactions: 2 people

Richard F

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sometimes it just happens and sometimes I understand why (usually a mistake/miscalculation)
The worst one was a couple of yrs ago, out on a walk, no phone reception, 2 miles from habitation.

I sat down took some glucogel then some more and some biscuits, checking my sugar every few mins. Watching in horror as kept going down and down and down no more glucose with me. The lowest point was 0.8 and I was still concious, I even changed the cartridge in my meter in disbelief.

Eventually it came back up after 30mins it was 3, so I started walking slowly, feeling very rough, took me 45mins to get home by which time it was 4.5. (Then I had a lie down for a bit :) )

Scary stuff, I couldn't work out what happened, never happened quite like that since (thank heavens) but I'm very, very careful.

itconor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had a scary drop like that. I had to practically eat my own body weight in sugar to correct. My drop happened because my big dose of lantus basal went into a vein rather than subcut. I now avoid that particularly veiny area of my thigh. Out of interest had you just taken a basal dose?

About 4 horse earlier

Flakey Bake

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi itconor. Doesn't sound like you had my problem, I crashed in about 20-30 mins. However if you are on Lantus, 3-4h is the time it takes to really kick in.

itconor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi itconor. Doesn't sound like you had my problem, I crashed in about 20-30 mins. However if you are on Lantus, 3-4h is the time it takes to really kick in.

Levmir here. I'm going to reduce my dose as something werid is going on all my ratios seem to have dropped to 1:10 this last week, I'm barely taking any insulin for things I previously would have had to have a big dose, gonna try dropping the evening levmir as the morning o already dropped to 10 with no effect

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello,

I had a similar problem with Levemir when I was on a single dose. I increased my dose in order to avoid morning highs, but in turn I noticed a 3/4 hour hypo after the injection.

I fixed this by splitting my Levemir equally across two injections 12 hours apart.

Also, have you been backing up your Libre readings with finger prick tests? I found the Libre pretty erratic especially with regards to rapid BGL changes.

Hope you get this problem sorted out!

Cheers,
Grant

paulpapa

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Are you doing blood based checks, too? Sometimes my Libre shoots up and down for no reason.

Browndoff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'm using an insulin pump and yet I have similar problems - in fact the time when I most often suffer a hypo is at 02:30 - when I don't wake up to the symptoms! I've been a Type-1 for 45 years and regularly suffer drops in BG just before lunch and evening meal - whether I've been 'active', or not, for the previous hour.
The amount of carbs needed to remove the symptoms of low BG is, however, mostly a matter of how long it takes for the food to be absorbed and to remove the horrible shaky feelings. There have been times, though, when I've corrected one drop in BG, seen it rise in a subsequent test - only to see it drop again within the hour! That's the sort of 'daft' result that makes one wonder if even old Typ-1 diabetics don't sometimes still produce some insulin!