tpaz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Cardio exercise
I seem to be in the minority here...

I never eat before bed. I usually have supper around 5:30 or 6. I will admit that I go to bed hungry sometimes (often), but if I eat before bed, my BG levels will be all over the place the next day.

I also take prescription sleep aids (I have insomnia) and find that unless I'm below 6 mmol, they simply won't work. Although, I have been told by several doctors that this is strange and they've never heard of it before.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Drs don't hear of a lot in my experience. I think I usually go to bed on the low side so taking lantus throws in a wrench. I am finding a swipe of peanut butter on celery is helping but I also think there are hormone times that nothing works

Finsky

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Drs don't hear of a lot in my experience. I think I usually go to bed on the low side so taking lantus throws in a wrench. I am finding a swipe of peanut butter on celery is helping but I also think there are hormone times that nothing works
Could you cope over night with smaller doze of lantus...preventing the need for bed night snack and take rest of your doze in the morning for the day ahead?

Last edited by a moderator:
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Never eaten just before bedtime, unless very low, then it would be a tiny amount and 1 unit less of night time Levemir, I really don't like eating just before bed.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Could you cope over night with smaller doze of lantus...preventing the need for bed night snack and take rest of your doze in the morning for the day ahead?

I only take one unit as it is. I don't like eating before bed but I don't like not sleeping at all. It's probably a teaspoon on 2 inches of celery but it seems to be working

Finsky

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
I only take one unit as it is. I don't like eating before bed but I don't like not sleeping at all. It's probably a teaspoon on 2 inches of celery but it seems to be working
Ah....sorry..didn't realize it was that little.
Well...if little snack is working..'don't mend it if it ain't broken'..;)

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Ah....sorry..didn't realize it was that little.
Well...if little snack is working..'don't mend it if it ain't broken'..;)

The whole thing is rather ridiculous. I just want to sleep. Nothing good about a day with no sleep. Especially with our nasty weather. No gumption on those days. I think looking back even before diabetes I akways needed a fat snack before bed.

Finsky

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
The whole thing is rather ridiculous. I just want to sleep. Nothing good about a day with no sleep. Especially with our nasty weather. No gumption on those days. I think looking back even before diabetes I akways needed a fat snack before bed.
No it is not ridiculous at all...our bodies do what they do independently regardless what our minds say/want..:rolleyes: I don't need any 'before bedtime' snack...but every night between 10-11, I get hungry messages :banghead: If I show little will power, once it has passed 11pm, I'm fine again and can have my night owl habits going without any urges for eating. I'm lucky with sleeping...what ever time in the evening my head decides to hit the pillow..I WILL sleep..nothing will disturb my beauty sleep. But if I go to bed before my 'usual' hours..I will wake up too early too..brain is set up for set amount of sleep and cannot program it otherwise :rolleyes:

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
There have been nights I can 'will' my way through no snacks but at least 50% of the time I just toss and turn for hours until I finally succum. I guess now I prefer to head it off at the pass and get my full sleep.

I'm the same way with exact hours if sleep. I'm great if I get it but if I'm short by 3 hours I'm groggy.

Thanks for understanding. You're a gem

cz_dave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sound great :) Do u make or buy them?
I usually make them. I would use about 250g of flax seeds, soak them in water for about 30 minutes, add a handful of sunflower seeds and then spread the mixture on a couple of baking trays covered with baking paper. I would bake it for about 90 mins at 100 degrees. Then I would turn the already solid cracker upside down so that it becomes completely dry by baking it for another 90 minutes or so.

xTomomi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tory party, Injustice, Snakes, Slugs,
i have JUST read a free e-book about foods that are ok to eat before bed... to promote weight loss and aid restful sleep
the 6 foods they mention are:
Bananas
Cottage cheese
Handful of Almonds
Turkey
Tuna
Cherries
Now i realise the content of sugar in some of these, but i think the book is certainly worth a download and read as it IS backed up by medical evidence, but when i look at some of the bedtime snacks listed above in the replies, i feel that these foods present no more of a problem than those mentioned.

here is the link: https://authoritynutrition.com/ebook/

hope this helps xx

tpaz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Cardio exercise
i have JUST read a free e-book about foods that are ok to eat before bed... to promote weight loss and aid restful sleep
the 6 foods they mention are:
Bananas
Cottage cheese
Handful of Almonds
Turkey
Tuna
Cherries
Now i realise the content of sugar in some of these, but i think the book is certainly worth a download and read as it IS backed up by medical evidence, but when i look at some of the bedtime snacks listed above in the replies, i feel that these foods present no more of a problem than those mentioned.

here is the link: https://authoritynutrition.com/ebook/

hope this helps xx

I'm going to agree with everything except for bananas. I haven't touched one of those in a long long time.

drakman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
racism, bigotry and fashion
I am struggling at the moment as I seem to need more carbs to get to sleep at the moment, I was managing with a Zero yoghurt like Sainsbury low fat or muller O% fat but lately its a bowl of dry cereal or biscuits. I am eating a LOT of fruit too

maryphill

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can't sleep without a snack before bed. Anyone else? What do you eat?
Is it a lantus thing?
I have a slice of ham and a drink of chamomile tea and sometimes a drink of milk. I thought I would never be able to sleep without my evening biscuits but don't even have them in the house now.

AnnKelcey

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Don't think its anything to do with lantus unless your bg levels are running low.

I stopped snacking between meals and eating supper around 7 years ago, evening meal see's me through to the morning and rarely feel hungry before bed, find if I do eat before bed it can lead to less predictable bg levels through the night.
Thank
Don't think its anything to do with lantus unless your bg levels are running low.

I stopped snacking between meals and eating supper around 7 years ago, evening meal see's me through to the morning and rarely feel hungry before bed, find if I do eat before bed it can lead to less predictable bg levels through the night.
thank you for the Chinese proverbs that accompany your replies

AnnKelcey

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I tend to have a slice of ham and cheese. Occasionally naughty with milk and biscuits if bloods low enough.
I think the "naughty with milk and biscuits" might be something to work on! Biscuits were certainly a quick fix to my hunger pangs a while back, but once I got rid of them all, I found I didn't hanker after them so much. I'm still pre-diabetic, so need to work harder, but I so want to avoid developing type 2.

LaurenMoffitt

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I think the "naughty with milk and biscuits" might be something to work on! Biscuits were certainly a quick fix to my hunger pangs a while back, but once I got rid of them all, I found I didn't hanker after them so much. I'm still pre-diabetic, so need to work harder, but I so want to avoid developing type 2.
You can get sugar free biscuits. Home bargains, pound shops etc are the best place to look.

Sent from my XT1032 using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

P17BULL

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Same here, but this happened even when I wasn't affected by diabetes. I think it's just a bad habit. :)