Diabetic parents - teaching children what to do during a hypo?

zoem1503

Hi my husband is type 1 diabetic - this weekend his level dropped and he fell unconscious - our 4 year old daughter found him and told me that 'daddy's not talking to me - his eyes are open though so he's not asleep' I knew at this point what had happened - I was able to phone a ambulance - he did begin to fit as the paramedics arrived - his level had fallen to 1.1 - they gave him glucose and raised his level to above 8 but it fell again instantly leading to another fit which was when the ambulance arrived and more glucose was administered and they were able to stabilise him at the hospital - and other than a sore back / ribs and bruised toes he's fine (just exhausted!) but it has led us to think that we need to explain to her what to do if this happens and there isn't another adult around as he obviously has our daughter in his own too. We have decided to put a medical pack by the phone with his glucose gel and tablets in also any medical info and next of kin contact details - we've also been checking she knows to phone 999 and to say daddy's diabetic and poorly as well as her address. Such a scary weekend but he's recovering now - anyone else offer any suggestions? thanks X

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
A huge well done to your daughter for realising things weren't right @zoem1503 !

I think it would be best to keep things simple for now as she's very young. You know her abilities best, but ideas could be, say, a two step thing - getting her dad glucose if he's conscious and unable to get it himself (maybe keep something in a place she can get to safely) and instructions on who to phone if he's unconscious. As well as explaining about 999 you could maybe programme some emergency numbers in the phone eg you or a neighbour or grandparent, etc, so that even if she panics and doesn't phone 999 she'll have an easy way to reach a trusted person (who can then reassure her and summon help).

Maybe some practice sessions would help too?

I hope your husband is recovering ok - that sounds a horrible hypo.

Reactions: 4 people

zoem1503

Thanks so much for your comments and suggestions - I've programmed some numbers on the quick dial list to make it easy for her to contact someone - and I'll be showing her/letting her use the phone so she's used to it xx I've also found a spare medical bag which I'll put somewhere accessible - I'll also go through it all with the 13 year old - although he has no problem using the phone just to tell him the signs and symptoms that my husband is dangerously low xx

Reactions: 6 people

xxAJxx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi my husband is type 1 diabetic - this weekend his level dropped and he fell unconscious - our 4 year old daughter found him and told me that 'daddy's not talking to me - his eyes are open though so he's not asleep' I knew at this point what had happened - I was able to phone a ambulance - he did begin to fit as the paramedics arrived - his level had fallen to 1.1 - they gave him glucose and raised his level to above 8 but it fell again instantly leading to another fit which was when the ambulance arrived and more glucose was administered and they were able to stabilise him at the hospital - and other than a sore back / ribs and bruised toes he's fine (just exhausted!) but it has led us to think that we need to explain to her what to do if this happens and there isn't another adult around as he obviously has our daughter in his own too. We have decided to put a medical pack by the phone with his glucose gel and tablets in also any medical info and next of kin contact details - we've also been checking she knows to phone 999 and to say daddy's diabetic and poorly as well as her address. Such a scary weekend but he's recovering now - anyone else offer any suggestions? thanks X

Awww well done to your wee girl, she did so well, as soon as my son was able to talk, we taught him daily on what to do in an emergency, he is 9 now and knows all that i know about diabetes, he knows to call for an ambulance and what to say to the person on the other end of the phone, he also knows how to administer my glucagon kit, sometimes i feel horrid for putting this heavy stuff on him, but he tells me "mum, dont worry if i can keep you alive, i will" i hope your husband feels better soon and i hope your wee girl is well proud of herself, well done to her!!! Xx

Nelmo14

Type of diabetes
Type 1

Hypos are different for different people, my worst has been 2.3 and I didn't collapse, I just felt light headed and shaky. I think most people that are close to you or someone with diabetes should be taught what to do in case of an imergency like that.

markastin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Same, I'm type 1 but only since last December. I however have felt every hypo and not been below 2.3, hopefully will always feel them. Your situation has certainally opened my eyes as to how important it is to educate people around you. Hope your husband is well and back under control

zoem1503

Thanks again everyone for your comments - the doctor was reluctant to prescribe the glucagon kit but think the diabetic nurse has said she'll have a word! My husband usually feels when his levels are low (he has tingly elbows?) but for some reason that day he didn't - it's only happened 4 times in 15 years but still scared me each time! This time was def worse / lasted longer - luckily help came quickly and he's recovering well - more sore from the fitting and the awkward position he was in xx

Reactions: 2 people