Type 1 Any Help? Work related.

StevieT666

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi i'm at my wits end, was diagnosed T1 December 2015 and started off really well controlling my bs very well and eating very healthy. It was abit of a struggle at work but eventually found how to cope and what i needed to do. Its been 5 months and my boss has had me in the office and is saying that they dont think i have the "ability" to do my job! Was told and i quote " your not the only one with health problems" however "this has nothing to do with your health". My bs is high and 2hrs after injecting its not coming down as it should? Confused. Im of the thinking that my employer is using this "ability" as an excuse so they can eventually get rid of me. Ive been doing this type of work for 11yrs with no problems in the past. Not sure what to do? Any advice would be welcomed thanks

minnie8040796

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
They cant fire you for being diabetic and its discrimination under the cival rights act and equal opportunities act but they can do something on the stance of under performance or absenteeism. I would suggest talking to your manager and explaining that you need measures in place as your circumstances have changed. They then cannot fire you for under performance as you are making the effort to adapt your job situation to gain better performance

Sent from my SM-G930F using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @StevieT666

You might find this diabetes uk information pack on your rights at work helpful - https://www.diabetes.org.uk/upload/How we help/Avocacy/Advocacy pack_EmploymentV3-Jan2016.pdf

What sort of field do you work in? Do you have a union you could ask for for support?

You should try and find your work policy on competency management so that you can be informed and know what you might be having to deal with. If they are saying there are problems with your ability, they are going to have explain what these problems are and work with you to try and improve them - most firms will have some sort of competency framework and a timeframe to work towards achieving that before they can "get rid of you".

While it's true that they can't fire you for being diabetic if they articulate that, it's not inconceivable that they might be masking concerns about your diabetes with concerns about your ability. If you really think that might be the case do look into support from your Union, support from diabetes uk, whether your home insurance covers any access to legal representation for employment advice, advice from CAB.

Or prove them wrong - show them that having diabetes isn't having any impact on your ability to do your job. It's a **** position to be in, but that might in reality be the best route.

Last edited by a moderator:

StevieT666

Type of diabetes
Type 1
They cant fire you for being diabetic and its discrimination under the cival rights act and equal opportunities act but they can do something on the stance of under performance or absenteeism. I would suggest talking to your manager and explaining that you need measures in place as your circumstances have changed. They then cannot fire you for under performance as you are making the effort to adapt your job situation to gain better performance

Sent from my SM-G930F using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app
Thank you for the advice

StevieT666

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi @StevieT666

You might find this diabetes uk information pack on your rights at work helpful - https://www.diabetes.org.uk/upload/How we help/Avocacy/Advocacy pack_EmploymentV3-Jan2016.pdf

What sort of field do you work in? Do you have a union you could ask for for support?

You should try and find your work policy on competency management so that you can be informed and know what you might be having to deal with. If they are saying there are problems with your ability,mother are going to have explain what these problems are and work with you to try and improve them - most firms will have some sort of competency framework and a timeframe to work towards achieving that before they can "get rid of you".

While it's true that they can't fire you for being diabetic if they articulate that, it's not inconceivable that they might be masking concerns about your diabetes with concerns about your ability. If you really think that might be the case do look into support from your Union, support from diabetes uk, whether your home insurance covers any access to legal representation for employment advice, advice from CAB.

Or prove them wrong - show them that having diabetes isn't having any impact on your ability to do your job. It's a **** position to be in, but that might in reality be the best route.
Thanks i got the pack this morning and have started reading it. Im in construction a sheeter/cladder. I didnt think i had a problem as far as work went my long time friend whom i work with even said that he had noticed a drastic change (for the better) in my performance at work which is why i think there using the ability thing.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

1abRat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If your blood sugar is high 2 hrs after injecting it could be a few things...here's a couple of thoughts

1. Too many carbs for the amount of insulin you've injected - do you carb count and adjust your dose? Have you been on a DAFNE course?

2. The "wrong" kind of carbs - some types of carbohydrates will cause your blood sugar to spike more than others, white bread is a classic example. What are your work lunches usually comprised of?

As for saying "this isn't about your diabetes" it seems quite obvious that it was in the forefront of their mind when they said it. This is outrageous of course but sadly not that unusual.

I've had some issues in the past with work even though my illness was nothing to do with my diabetes - turned out it was endometriosis but the Drs suspected cancer at the time - unsurprisingly for a brief 6 month period I couldn't really concentrate at work and had more time off than my usual 1 or 2 days a year. Didn't help that I'd also had swine flu that year, definitely not a year I look back on fondly!

StevieT666

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, 1abrat. Yes i carb count and my meter is set up to cover the carbs and if i'm high aswell. Not been on the daphne course yet not for want of asking tho it seems my doctors are how do i put it "useless" i'm in the process of changing as i dont feel as if i'm getting the right care from them. My work lunches are either a salad or soup on the rare occasion i have bread its the hovis seeded batch. I dont know if i'm over the honeymoon period as since being diagnosed in dec last yr i had it all under control. I've changed my ratio's on my meter and hopefully this will get my levels back to where they were before.
Ok i thought i had it bad sorry to hear what you said hope it wasn't cancer and hope you are ok.
Thank you for the advice

StevieT666

Type of diabetes
Type 1

1abRat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, 1abrat. Yes i carb count and my meter is set up to cover the carbs and if i'm high aswell. Not been on the daphne course yet not for want of asking tho it seems my doctors are how do i put it "useless" i'm in the process of changing as i dont feel as if i'm getting the right care from them. My work lunches are either a salad or soup on the rare occasion i have bread its the hovis seeded batch. I dont know if i'm over the honeymoon period as since being diagnosed in dec last yr i had it all under control. I've changed my ratio's on my meter and hopefully this will get my levels back to where they were before.
Ok i thought i had it bad sorry to hear what you said hope it wasn't cancer and hope you are ok.
Thank you for the advice

Oh yes I'm all good now :)

Was Endometriosis so fairly harmless in my opinion but does play havoc with my sugars. I pretty much have to adjust my ratios every week or more for my insulin. I could take pills but I find their side effects more annoying than the endometriosis!

Defninitely try and get on a DAFNE course or similar. I disagree with a lot of things they say (eat whatever you like just dose yourself up with insulin to cover, don't test after meals) but the basic toolkit it gives you is useful. In the meantime you could look at these two resources to help you adjust your ratios more precisely yourself if you want to...

http://www.bdec-e-learning.com/

http://www.salforddiabetescare.co.uk/index2.php?nav_id=1007

You could always talk to the Diabetes UK careline about work and see if they have any advice too https://www.diabetes.org.uk/helpline

Good luck and let us know how you get on

Reactions: 2 people
S

Sean01

Hi i'm at my wits end, was diagnosed T1 December 2015 and started off really well controlling my bs very well and eating very healthy. It was abit of a struggle at work but eventually found how to cope and what i needed to do. Its been 5 months and my boss has had me in the office and is saying that they dont think i have the "ability" to do my job! Was told and i quote " your not the only one with health problems" however "this has nothing to do with your health". My bs is high and 2hrs after injecting its not coming down as it should? Confused. Im of the thinking that my employer is using this "ability" as an excuse so they can eventually get rid of me. Ive been doing this type of work for 11yrs with no problems in the past. Not sure what to do? Any advice would be welcomed thanks
This sounds like it is heading towards constructive dismissal. Record absolutely everything - electronically so that it has a time and date log. Speak to a solicitor or Citizens advice bureau. If you have the kind of job where performance is measurable - with numbers - maintain those records. You could take a different approach - I've been doing the same job for 30 years - I'm good at it, but every now and then somebody decides that I can benefit from a bit of extra 'training'. It keeps the peace to accept it and thank the manager graciously. Pander to them and if they think you are underperforming, suggest that from time to time we can all benefit from a bit of on the job training or a refresher. Suggest that the boss might want to arrange that and see what happens.
Hope this helps. (I was once told I will go far in my company if I play golf! There are 20 of us in my company. If I played golf I would have goon on a jolly last week. Instead I worked and was responsible for 25% of the week's new business. I am the only male who does not play golf. My lack off golfing ability is linked to my performance at work.. The better leads are given to the golfers. Life's a *****. I hope that somewhere in all this is a bit of support.
(Real name and address with held. Just call me Fagin)

StevieT666

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi fagin thank you for the advice i am logging everything and taking photocopies just to arm myself incase it gets to that point. Hopefully i can find another job elsewhere as im sick of the company i work for they just dont care at all.