Lancets - how often do you change them?

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
Okay,

I know the instructions say you should use it once then dispose of it, but is that really what forum users do?

I've just started and I've used the same one half a dozen times now. I'm thinking about changing mine every week.

What do other forum users do?

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
I use the Accu-Chek multiclix lancets. This has 6 lancets built in. I use one drum each week and I test up to 10 times a day at the moment.

The lancets are not as important to change as the needles used for injecting as they only prick the surface of the skin, they don't enter subcutaneous tissue.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi Ardberg,

The recommendations are that you change the lancet once used. This is to stop infection, but also because the lancet becomes blunt and can cause soreness with repeated use. Best to ignore what others do, and get into the good practice of changing the lancet each time.

I did once use them repeatedly, but now change them each time I test. Getting a bit older and wiser, and don't want the hassle of infections occuring due to my laziness. It is much the same with insulin pens, the needle must be replaced after every use, again for the same reasons I have stated.

Regards

Nigel

ham79

Dislikes
diabetes and cbeebies
I change mine every time just to make it less painful it's a big enough pain in the backside without it being sore

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
I'm afraid I'm terrible at remembering to change my Multiclix lancet cartridges, I actually clicked a new one in place this morning but I cant remember how long the six lancets had been used for, a few weeks I'm sure. I do always use a new needle for every injection though which I feel is more important.

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
Good point about the pain folks, I hadn't really considered the fact that they will blunt with repeated use. I was intending to change mine once a week as it would only have been used approx 6 times (testing twice a day every other day).

I've just had to pay for a box on prescription, but I bought a 3 month pre payment prescription so I suppose it makes sense for me to change them each time and just get repeat prescriptions when I run out.

jopar

I also have the multi-clix, I test around 10 times a day on average, changing my lancet when I remember, my husband is also the same with his lancets..
As to this causing any problems, well never got an infection from it nor have I got sore fingers, if you looked at my fingers you really wouldn’t be able to tell that I constantly stabbing them!
It is personal choice whether you follow the manufactures instruction of use one then dispose of, as this is partly them covering their own backs... Helps to prevent Muppets from sharing used lancets
I have yet to get an infection from my lancet, nor has my hubby and I haven’t yet come across a diabetic that actually has, so the changes of causing a infection in the finger because you’ve used more than once is a very pretty long shot...
But there again, the lancet only pricks the skin to retrieve blood, how many times a day can we prick out fingers on other objects which are exposed to contaminates? The lancet is covered when in situ, it’s kept with the meter within the meter bag, so very difficult to get a wondering contaminate onto it... You are only using it on yourself and nobody else so no other person’s human body fluids to cross contaminate the lancet.
You are probably more in danger of pushing an contaminate that’s already sitting on the skin which shouldn’t be there because you haven’t washed your hands with a fresh lancet than you are causing yourself problems with one that you already used!
Ask yourself one question a good one to ponder, if the risk of infection is so high then why do lancets come lose in a box of 100-200 rattling around, or shoved in the side of the meter bag where the seals/plastic protector can get damaged quite easily!

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Not having enough time. Broken sleep.
I have 2 lancers and change them both every day. I use a new needle every time. To be honest I would probably change the lancer every time if they weren't so expensive. They are not available with any subsidy in Australia. Khaleb's fingers are all looking great with an average 7 pricks a day.

steveamos1234

OK, now I'm not a good example of what you should do and this will shock a few people but I couldn't tell you when I changed my lancet last. Probably around 3 to 4 years ago. And yes that's not a typo (years not days, weeks or months :shock: :shock: )

I don't really see the need as I've never had any problems and it doesn't hurt either. In the last 10 years I've probably gone through 10 or so lancets which have come free with the meter when I've changed it. Never had any on prescription or bought any.

I'm sure I should think about changing it, but unless it causes me a problem I don't see the point.

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
Might be as well that you cannot see the point, Steve! :shock:

Bluenosesol

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dark mornings, intolerance any one with a superiority complex...
I use the Accu Chek Multiclix. Quite often they come free on ebay or part of a bundled offer when I order my strips. I test 4-8 times a day and I usually get through 1 drum (6 needles) a week.
I do notice however that on first, second and third (ish) usage, that the prick is painless and that after approx 4 to 6 usages, the prick begins to make me recoil as pain becomes evident.
So based on my experience, I would say if you can get them cheaply enough use for 3 times per needle but make sure you always wash your hands, not only to prevent infection but importantly, to ensure that your readings are not affected by contaminants.

All the best - Steve.

neededthat

i change mine errmmmmm not very often :eek: been a few months now as its only me who uses it and don't find any difference with a new one as in pain. my dn told me some folk change every time others use the same one for years :? i if i remember i change it every few months and not had any problems, as of yet :D

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
steveamos1234 said:
OK, now I'm not a good example of what you should do and this will shock a few people but I couldn't tell you when I changed my lancet last. Probably around 3 to 4 years ago. And yes that's not a typo (years not days, weeks or months :shock: :shock: )

I don't really see the need as I've never had any problems and it doesn't hurt either. In the last 10 years I've probably gone through 10 or so lancets which have come free with the meter when I've changed it. Never had any on prescription or bought any.

I'm sure I should think about changing it, but unless it causes me a problem I don't see the point.

This has got to be a wind-up surely Steve! :(

If not, can't see the manufactures getting rich on you! :)

Nigel

SweetGuy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I change them every test as per the instructions. Since I get them for nothing and can have as many as I need there doesn't seem much point in not doing so.

lilibet

When it gets sore, or I feel Ive had a few shots at getting blood out but nothing is coming out easily

Bad practice I know but when you are doing it umpteen times across a day, its a faff to change it all the time. I am clearly a sloppy diabetic (well,not really, hba1c's are all in the 5's...) but OH was lamenting how he finds testing strips EVERYWHERE. Latest was in cupboard under the stairs

Not sure how it got there. Was probably looking for more alcohol when drunk and decided to test at same time :lol:

carolynjw

I only change mine when I think about it, or if it gets sore - but certainly not once every ten years!!! :shock:

carolyn x

steveamos1234

Now don't exaggerate what I said :wink: I've used at least 10 in the last ten years. :roll:

I really didn't think about it until I read this thread. Guess I should get a few on perscription, but my current lancet which is around a couple of years old doesn't cause any pain at all.

jopar

People keep mentioning infections, got to change your lancet every time to avoid infection!

Hummm, is there anyone out there that has or even knows of a diabetic who's got a infection due to using a lancet to prick there finger :?:

As this is something I've never heard of, not even in the days of the first lancets, which did make your fingers sore because the sliced and not pricked your finger, for those who have hebe gebee's thinking about using modern lancets believe me you probably have fainted if given the first ones :shock:

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Occasionally! I've NEVER had an infection of any kind and Idon't generally wash hands either before stabbing. I use alternative site testing on my forearm. This is fully accurate enough if I'm not tracking a rapid change. I don't have rapid changes and only test once most days.
How do I know I don't have rapid changes?
I don't use any medication which could cause any and my readings are NEVER( not for MONTHS!) outside the range of 4.3 - 6.2.( not enough room for rapid changes).
Last time I change a lancet in my machine was when T1 husband was having a hypo an couldn't remember where his machine was.
After the hypo was done and dusted, his machine re-appeared on its usual shelf in the kitchen.
Hana