Help needed

Cdk88

Type of diabetes
Type 2
So I was diagnosed beginning of Dec 15 with a hba1c of 69 was put on met for min 1500mg daily. I have lost a stone since but my recent hba1c is 101 and have a fasting glucose of 20.1. I have appointment with my diabetic nurse on Monday and I really don't know what else can be done. Surely levels not supposed to go up while on metformin? ???

LittleG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, sorry you are having a tough time.
I was diagnosed about 2 months ago, I have been taking Metformin for about 10 days. Before I had my first appointment I decided to grasp the nettle and try to do as much I can could to move the goal posts for myself with diet and exercise.
My approach won't work for everyone.... I pretty much cut all carbs, had no more sweet stuff and started to do as much exercise as I could stand, power walking on treadmill to disco. As a result I have lost over half a stone in that time and bought my BG levels down from over 17 to an average of 9.5, I even had a reading of 7.4 yesterday which thrilled me to bits.
I don't know how many changes you have made outside of taking the tablets. For me those big changes were crucial to seeing a good result.
There are others here with more experience who will help and advise but I hope you get it all sorted.

Reactions: 2 people

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Cdk88 and welcome.
You've had Daisy's information on another post. Do read it.
Metformin on it's own doesn't reduced blood sugars very much but does help with weight loss. Diet is very important for diabetics. Cutting out sugar and also reducing all carbs should really help. Look in Daisy's post for low carb links. Many on here have tried very low carbs with good results,

Cdk88

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank you for the reply. As I said I have been trying very hard to cut down on carbs ( my pitful) as i don't have a sweet tooth and as a result i have lost 1 stone, I also have pcos and the metformin has helped that problem. But just has made my sugars worse. I'm worried I'm going to end up like my dad he is type 2 insulin based as our stories are very similar ( minus the pcos). Well donequipped on your success ☺

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Surely levels not supposed to go up while on metformin? ???

Metformin is not a powerful drug and will have anything between zero and a small effect on your blood sugars. Your numbers suggest to me that the pills are not part of your problem and that something else is.

Your diabetes could have dramatically worsened, you could have relied too heavily on the pills thinking they would take the strain or some carbs are sneaking in since they are not all sweet or obvious. Flour is loaded with carbs and is not sweet and so is rice and both these foods turn into glucose and raise your blood sugar.

I may be stating the obvious but I am hoping this is a dietary problem since if it isn't your diabetes is getting worse.

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
@Cdk88 - Hello and Welcome to the Forum. :) There is nothing to fear about going onto Insulin - I have been using Insulin now for 2 years, during this time I have lost weight, reduced my BMI and reduced my HBA1C from 81 to 56. A lot of forum members follow the LCHF Diet and have lowered their blood sugars, HBA1C and lost weight. Take a look at: http://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/60-seconds