Mystery - forgot to inject, palpitations and breathlessness but BG absolutely Fine!

AgaRosa

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Had a bit of a strange day - rushed morning, went to the gym, had a small breakfast (c.12g carbs), BG was 7.9, forgot to inject. When I got to the meeting, I thought my sugar will be sky high - it was 6.9. Got hungry around lunch time but no time to check BG, had 3eggs omelette with cheese and peppers, once again, thought BG would climb, especially since when walking home had some palpitations and breathlessness. But when checked at home it was 7.6. So what's going on? I can understand that BG didn' t rise like mad because I still have some beta cells but why palpitations? Checked blood pressure: 126/79. I'd be grateful for any thoughts. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-T710 using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You didn't eat many carbs and had been to the gym so I'd say bg not rising makes sense although I wouldn't make a habit of forgetting to inject.. The palpitations and breathlessness could be anything really?

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

cz_dave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Interesting. If I eat and do not inject, I feel just like you described - even if my BS is around 6. Could it be that the body with the little beta cells that are still present gets stressed out having to deal with the food without insulin?

AgaRosa

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks guys, will definitely not make a habit of It! And cz_dave that must be it! Although I try not to get stresses about it but obviously my body is struggling. I am not pleased that you go through a similar thing (obviously) but it's good for me to know that this is diabetes-connected so I understand it better. THANK You!

Richard F

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
On 12g I would rarely inject, particularly if taking exercise, I'd go hypo. Background seems to take car of it.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Had a bit of a strange day - rushed morning, went to the gym, had a small breakfast (c.12g carbs), BG was 7.9, forgot to inject. When I got to the meeting, I thought my sugar will be sky high - it was 6.9. Got hungry around lunch time but no time to check BG, had 3eggs omelette with cheese and peppers, once again, thought BG would climb, especially since when walking home had some palpitations and breathlessness. But when checked at home it was 7.6. So what's going on? I can understand that BG didn' t rise like mad because I still have some beta cells but why palpitations? Checked blood pressure: 126/79. I'd be grateful for any thoughts. Thanks!

Stress? It can manifest itself in different ways... Could have been a delayed reaction to the "rushed morning"??

Reactions: 2 people

AgaRosa

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
On 12g I would rarely inject, particularly if taking exercise, I'd go hypo. Background seems to take car of it.
Thanks and yes you are right, I usually have a bigger breakfast, although not loaded with carbs because if I did even insuline wouldn't help with BG. Still testing things really...

AgaRosa

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Interesting. If I eat and do not inject, I feel just like you described - even if my BS is around 6. Could it be that the body with the little beta cells that are still present gets stressed out having to deal with the food without insulin?
Do you have issues with blood pressure too? I've recently reduced medication because my BP has gone down quite dramatically and had similar symptoms when still taking full dose and that brought my BP really low - 85/59. That's why I thought it may have been BP again...

cz_dave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Do you have issues with blood pressure too? I've recently reduced medication because my BP has gone down quite dramatically and had similar symptoms when still taking full dose and that brought my BP really low - 85/59. That's why I thought it may have been BP again...

No issues with blood pressure as far as I know.