Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Ok guys, how do I handle this? It was OK when he nicked the odd cereal bar from my stash - keep in mind that I do buy or make cake/biscuits/sweet things for general family consumption. Bit today I noticed he has nicked my dextrose tabs grom bedside table. Know it is not the child as she does not like them. Help please.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Forgive me - I thought that this post was about you, eating your husband, and getting a hypo as a result.

Actually, that might solve the problem.
Tell him that the next time, if you can't find your hypo treatment you WILL kill and eat him.

PRoblem solved... win, win...

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
@Brunneria tempting, but I'd not manage all of him. Also slightly blushing at a potential steamy session hypo

Murder may indeed be the way forward.

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh sorry to hear he's been eating your glucose tabs :eek: Can you hide them or something? Maybe keep them in your handbag or a locked drawer/cupboard? I'm not sure how you can get him to stop eating them? My friend tells me her hubby steals her hypo treatments as well. She said she just keeps a mix of everything right around the house (juice, tabs, sweets, etc). She said she's had to resort to dissolving sugar in water recently though because her hubby finds everything and ate her supply. He apparently promises to replace it but she always has to do that. At least he doesn't steal her batteries for her pump she says. Maybe you could ask your hubby to report what he has eaten of your supply so that way you know what needs replacing? I would hope he realises how serious it is that he needs to help you keep your stash available. I wish you the best. :)

Reactions: 2 people

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Oh sorry to hear he's been eating your glucose tabs :eek: Can you hide them or something? Maybe keep them in your handbag or a locked drawer/cupboard? I'm not sure how you can get him to stop eating them? My friend tells me her hubby steals her hypo treatments as well. She said she just keeps a mix of everything right around the house (juice, tabs, sweets, etc). She said she's had to resort to dissolving sugar in water recently though because her hubby finds everything and ate her supply. He apparently promises to replace it but she always has to do that. At least he doesn't steal her batteries for her pump she says. Maybe you could ask your hubby to report what he has eaten of your supply so that way you know what needs replacing? I would hope he realises how serious it is that he needs to help you keep your stash available. I wish you the best. :)
Thanks. Good to know I'm not the only one. I'll have to talk to him about it and remind him that they aren't just there for when I fancy a snack.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Take them out of their packet and place in a jar. Tell him that they fell in the toilet, but you managed to rescue them. If he still takes them, then tell him he is weird.

I have this problem with my carboholic family, and all my special goodies get snaffled in the night. I too have no solution. I have to replace my bulletproof cream daily now. I considered getting a ninja cat,, but that too would find the cream.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Perhaps if I get those horrible diabetic sweets or choc which have the lacitive effect anyway and leave those out but hide mine...

Reactions: 4 people

Natalie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have this same problem with my daughter...nothing is off grounds it seems. Doesn't matter how many times I tell her that they are there for emergencies...the temptation is just too great for her. I have little stashes all round the house but I always keep a little pot of jelly babies in my bag which is off grounds to everyone...mostly because they're all scared of what they'll find in there in terms of needles etc so I know that they are always there if I need them.

Another thing I've found is that if I put them in little pots round the house that they don't seem so interesting as they are when they're in the packets.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Jeepers, if I ever needed proof about just how addictive sugar is, this thread would convince me. What desperados your sugar addicts must be ;)

EdMac

When we're toddlers we start to learn the very simple behaviour-consequence model. And consequently we do more of certain things and less of others. Of course there are exceptions but consequences are a good place to start and unless he is actually addicted to your goodies should deliver a result. So you could identify something that you do for him that he enjoys..... and stop doing it when he crosses a boundary. To stop this escalating you would have to match his mood when he crosses your boundary - which is almost certainly carefree and self indulgent rather than malicious and vengeful (not suggesting you would be). And the two have to be linked. It's a lot like training a dog.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Jeepers, if I ever needed proof about just how addictive sugar is, this thread would convince me. What desperados your sugar addicts must be ;)

I would have to agree..
Once in a blue moon I will notice a new unopened pack of Mars bars In the bowl. And an end (about an eighth.) cut off one of the standbys on the work surface.. My wife will admit she had a taste for a bit of chocolate. Just a square.
Lol. I normally raid her dried fruit nibble box if low anyway...

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When we're toddlers we start to learn the very simple behaviour-consequence model. And consequently we do more of certain things and less of others. Of course there are exceptions but consequences are a good place to start and unless he is actually addicted to your goodies should deliver a result. So you could identify something that you do for him that he enjoys..... and stop doing it when he crosses a boundary. To stop this escalating you would have to match his mood when he crosses your boundary - which is almost certainly carefree and self indulgent rather than malicious and vengeful (not suggesting you would be). And the two have to be linked. It's a lot like training a dog.
There was a test done with kids & sweets years ago..
Basically they leave the kid in a room with a sweet & tell them they can eat the sweet whenever they like, but if they wait & not consume it? They would get another sweet..

The kids that didn't scoff the first sweet & waited were found to be more likely to be better off with financial planning later in life...

Cat0409_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My OH has done the same. I have kept a start of jelly beans in the car for emergencies. Got in the car to find them out in the open with about 5 remaining and they were covered in ants. When I asked what had happened the excess was he had skipped breakfast and lunch and was hungry so he ate them and he had no clue about the ants. I now keep them in my drugs and stuff bag which I carry everywhere, he hasn't looks in that yet

Natalie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There was a test done with kids & sweets years ago..
Basically they leave the kid in a room with a sweet & tell them they can eat the sweet whenever they like, but if they wait & not consume it? They would get another sweet..

The kids that didn't scoff the first sweet & waited were found to be more likely to be better off with financial planning later in life...
That figures...my daughter has zero self control and zero money at the end of every month lol

Reactions: 3 people

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm really sorry if I'm missing the obvious - but you have actually tried explaining to him what a hypo is and why you need the dextrose. I get that he flipping well should know, but it might be worth having a really frank chat with him, he's not a child & should be able to understand that dextrose tablets on the bedside table are there for if you have a hypo in the middle of the night so you can treat it quickly without passing out and/or dying.

If he can't get the don't eat my dextrose tablets so I don't die rule then I'm kind of out of options. I don't know, maybe individually throw a whole pack of tablets at him, just for entertainment.

Also, why in gods name would anyone be snacking of dextrose tablets out of choice? It's sugary cement. Are you sure he's not pregnant - could be a craving?

Reactions: 7 people

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
It was OK when he nicked the odd cereal bar from my stash - keep in mind that I do buy or make cake/biscuits/sweet things for general family consumption. Bit today I noticed he has nicked my dextrose tabs grom bedside table.
That's an interesting one. Perhaps just ask him what he's going to do when you have a hypo. Or what your child is going to do when he's not around and you ask her to get mum her dextrose tablets because you don't feel well.

Reactions: 4 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Also, why in gods name would anyone be snacking of dextrose tablets out of choice? It's sugary cement. Are you sure he's not pregnant - could be a craving?

.... Or a sweet payout on a life insurance policy? o_O

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
I'm really sorry if I'm missing the obvious - but you have actually tried explaining to him what a hypo is and why you need the dextrose. I get that he flipping well should know, but it might be worth having a really frank chat with him, he's not a child & should be able to understand that dextrose tablets on the bedside table are there for if you have a hypo in the middle of the night so you can treat it quickly without passing out and/or dying.

If he can't get the don't eat my dextrose tablets so I don't die rule then I'm kind of out of options. I don't know, maybe individually throw a whole pack of tablets at him, just for entertainment.

Labour could be suitable punishment.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Thanks all, you have made me laugh and feel better. I will have the reminder death chat and improve hiding places. I'm just a bit worried that if I hide them too well I won't find them when shaky. Doh!