C peptide result. What is the normal range

debbietowns

Hi i'm really desperate to work this out.

12 yr old diagnosed type 1 Dec 09. Today got his C Peptide result of 596. Diabetic nurse did not know what the range is or what it means!
Asked GP, they said look it up online, www.labtestsonline .org .uk but they explain what it is but don't give you the actual numbers.

Son is currently off Insulin as they said he is making some of his own so honeymooning. Is 596 what you would expect to see?

What is normal for a non diabetic?

Hope someone can help
Thanks
Debbie

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I've done some searching and it seems that differnt laboratories report C-peptide in different units. You need to have that information, to understand he numbers. I would ask the doctor again. I'm pretty sure you have a RIGHT to the information
Hana

jopar

The answer should be in your medical notes, as everytime the lab sends the test results back to your doctor, the give the range for the blood test, and the actual result, any results that fall near the permited top or bottom of the range will be flagged to draw the attention of the doctor..

I would ask them to recheck the results letter that was sent by the lab

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Do you know what the 596 is ? is this pmol/l or nmol/l or what ?

There are figures to be found on the net but they are mostly in the US conversion rates.

debbietowns

Hi,
I did ask the diabetes nurse to look on the screen to see what it said the normal range was but she said it doesn't say. I have been reading about the c peptide test on the internet and i'm even more confused. I will try calling the hospital tomorrow and hope some there knows more about it that our dedicated nurse! (Her first response to every question is " well, i'm not sure but". Doesn't inspire confidence!) I have also been to the GP this afternoon and its not on their screen as it was ordered by the hospital.
Thanks for your help
Debbie

debbietowns

sugarless sue said:
Do you know what the 596 is ? is this pmol/l or nmol/l or what ?

There are figures to be found on the net but they are mostly in the US conversion rates.

Hi,
I just spoke to the nurse and all she can say is the result is 596.0 pmol/l..
The lab did not include any refernce range and so she spoke to them and they just said its high.
She is now advising us to go back to GP to get referral to an endocrinologist at Addenbrooks or UCLH

Thanks for your help
Debbie