Red Quinoa - what do I do with it?

berylc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
When people who know nothing about the LCHF diet tell me I'm killing myself being on it. I was killing myself not being on it!
My husband came home from the local deli with a bag of uncooked red quinoa. Do I just boil it and use as couscous? Have never tasted or seen it before. Looked on the internet but it seems to be added to salads only.
thanks

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Added to salads is a good idea, in small quantities as quinoa is high in carbs.

Reactions: 2 people

Marvin

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Don't even go there! IT's DISGUSTING!

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Quinoa is far from high in carbs. Last stuff I had from Tesco was less than 20g carbs per 100g cooked weight.

Tastes miserable unless cooked in chicken or veg stock. I'd stick with brown rice though.

Regards,
Grant

Welshman1952

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Red quinoa can be good on salad but my wife does a mean burger with it. Now, we are vegan so we omit the cheese and because I hate dill, we substitute oregano. The result is ridiculously tasty and pretty good on protein too. Being quinoa it is is fairly low on carbs, although I believe my wife tweaked it to make the recipe very low.

Here is the website she used but don't be afraid to mess around with the ingredients. We like ours quite hot so we added chilli to ours.

Oh ... don't forget to wash the raw seeds in cold water first!!! If you don't you will leave toxins in the seed that will make it taste vile.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/221249/veggie-quinoa-burgers/

Hope you enjoy.

berylc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
When people who know nothing about the LCHF diet tell me I'm killing myself being on it. I was killing myself not being on it!
Thanks everyone for your advice. I'll try the recipe @Welshman1952 , but not for the next few days as I'm leaving husband at home and heading away to visit family :)
@Marvin Maybe you didn't wash it first? As welshman says it has toxins in the seeds that make it taste vile.
@GrantGam1337 Will try it also cooked in chicken stock, I knew I'd find a use for the stock I made ages and ages ago and put into the freezer.
@Totto Will eat it carefully, especially if I find it as vile as Marvin did!

And if I don't like it, I'll just feed it to my husband. At £6.66 for a fairly small bag, I don't want to waste his money :)

Marvin

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
My experience of it was at a conference centre, so presumably they knew how to prepare it. One or two of the vegetarians at the conference ate it with no complaints, but a good half of those present took one mouthful and found it more than enough. Yuk! Its not just the taste but the texture and, well, everything about it actually. Still, each to his or her own....give it a try if you dare, and if it floats your boat, then fine. (I also hate avocado with a loathing passion, but most of the world thinks its fabulous, so I'm probably not the best judge!)