Glic/Met help please

sooliz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I would be very grateful for some advice about my meds, please.

A bit of background.....T2 diagnosed 5 years, diet controlled for first few months, which didn't work so put on Metformin 2x daily. Gave me terrible stomach upsets/even worse diarrhoea, so quickly changed to the SR version, which wasn't a great deal different actually (I guess I'm extremely sensitive to it). Told by DN to take both tabs with evening meal as that may help (it helped a bit with the stomach upset but not the squits). Had urgent and quite explosive runs (sorry for the graphic detail!) several times each morning, which meant I was effectively housebound until lunchtime. Only positive - it did control my BG pretty well (consistently in the low 5s) and helped me to lose a bit of weight (I do have a weight problem) - not surprising considering all the toilet trips! However, being confined to the house all morning wasn't exactly convenient, so began not taking the pills at all the day before I knew we were going out early the next morning....which meant that my BG began to rise.....in Feb at my review my HbAlc had gone up to 6.9. On discussing it with my DN, we decided that I'd change to Gliclazide instead....she did warn me that it could make me put on weight. It has.....about half a stone in the last 3 months. And I'm now sometimes constipated - gone from one extreme to the other! But it has brought my HbAlc down considerably, it's now 5.2

So I'm considering coming off the Glic and going back to Met....I don't want my weight, which I struggle with anyhow, to be rising anymore, and I hate being constipated. With regard to the 'confined to barracks' thing, I was thinking that maybe if I took the dose at lunchtime instead of the evening, I'd be able to get the toilet stuff out of the way (so to speak!) earlier in the morning (I am an early riser, usually up by 6.00 ish).

So here's my questions:-

1. Can I just come off the Glic and go straight back on the Met (I do still have some left from earlier in the year) without fear of withdrawal symptoms? Does coming off Glic actually create any withdrawal symptoms?

2. Do you think that taking the Met at lunchtime will help with the awful squits I used to suffer with all morning when previously taking it with my evening meal? I should mention I don't want to take it at breakfast time as I'm not really a breakfast eater, plus I don't want to be getting up several times throughout the night for toilet trips!

If anyone has had similar experiences or can offer any advice, I'd be very grateful, thanks.

LincolnLizzie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I had dreadful diahorrea with Metformin, it got worse and worse and I was on Glicazide too as my diabetes progressed.

In the end I went to my doc and told them they needed to do something to help me control the squits as I couldn't even guarantee being able to walk to work without an accident!

The result is - I am now on once a day insulin and Glicazide to support it. It has revolutionised my life. I am also on Forxiga once a day now and I have managed to lose weight (1stone) despite all expectations, though I've got a couple of stone to go still. My target levels are better then they have ever been, mainly due to reduced starchy carbs - in fact I rarely have potato, pasta, bread or wheat/flour. I do feel it is the combination of regular monitoring and changing to insulin with a change of diet which has made such a difference.

I had to be referred to the community diabetic team for their assessment re insulin - this has also been a good move as they seem to have a better understanding of our challenges.

Everyone is different, so pursue a good outcome for you. Everyone responds differently both to medication and to diet.

Good luck, I remember the misery of life with Metformin.

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum mobile app

Reactions: 2 people

LincolnLizzie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Also meant to say I had the same problem with slow release Metformin which as called Glucophage. X

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum mobile app

AnandaUK

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I couldn't tolerate metformin. I work full time so there was no way I could afford to be house bound for any length of time. After trying several meds, my GP finally referred me to a diabetic consultant who put me onto Victoza. I got my a1c down to 40, and I've lost 4 stone.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

sooliz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for the replies, I guess I'll just go ahead and do what I was thinking. Took a Met with lunch yesterday, will work back up to 2 tabs. Have had the familiar stomach upset already, but not too bad.