ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
@Typicaltwo, I hope it's ok for me to pinch your post to start a new thread, it is just too important to be missed.

"The NHS, medical professionals, nutritionists, dietitians, school staff et al have all been influenced (indoctrinated) by the government's Eatwell guide (formerly the Eatwell Plate) since 1994. This is produced on the governments behalf by The British Nutrition Foundation (BNF). This is the governments 'go to' organisation for dietary advice. Just follow this link to see who the BNF's members are. Not the best advertisement for healthy eating."
https://www.nutrition.org.uk/aboutbnf/supporters/memberorganisations.html

Maybe every time we hear a radio programme, see a tv programme, or read a newspaper/magazine article that rattles on about lifestyle causing type 2 (usually accompanied by an image of a cake crammed in someone's gob), we should contact them with the info that is in this post, the real brains behind the Eatwell Plate, and challenge them to point out what exactly Mars and Coca Cola and the rest of that lot have to do with nutrition - could there be a conflict of interest here that would not be allowed anywhere else?

Might also be useful for diabetic nurses and errant doctors who have got a chip on their shoulder too. I suggest we print it out en masse, and send it to whoever trots out the same crappage.

Reactions: 7 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I just read yer post & it put me in mind of this..?
Lol, put a couple more Is in the spiel, & Red bull will give you wiiiiings.. o_O

Snake oil companies doing good. Is al I is sayin'..

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Typicaltwo, I hope it's ok for me to pinch your post to start a new thread, it is just too important to be missed.

"The NHS, medical professionals, nutritionists, dietitians, school staff et al have all been influenced (indoctrinated) by the government's Eatwell guide (formerly the Eatwell Plate) since 1994. This is produced on the governments behalf by The British Nutrition Foundation (BNF). This is the governments 'go to' organisation for dietary advice. Just follow this link to see who the BNF's members are. Not the best advertisement for healthy eating."

Maybe every time we hear a radio programme, see a tv programme, or read a newspaper/magazine article that rattles on about lifestyle causing type 2 (usually accompanied by an image of a cake crammed in someone's gob), we should contact them with the info that is in this post, the real brains behind the Eatwell Plate, and challenge them to point out what exactly Mars and Coca Cola and the rest of that lot have to do with nutrition - could there be a conflict of interest here that would not be allowed anywhere else?

Might also be useful for diabetic nurses and errant doctors who have got a chip on their shoulder too. I suggest we print it out en masse, and send it to whoever trots out the same crappage.
Think this News story will lift your heart a bit.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/video_and_audio/headlines/36356756

Finally the mainstream media has woken up to LCHF

This story, or at least the BBC version of it, is being covered in the Diabetes News section on this forum

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 5 people

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Is that a quote, or your words?

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There was something on the news this morning. Trudi Deakin was representing the LCHF side and Professor Simon Capewell trying to agree but not the fat thing. https://twitter.com/BBCBreakfast/status/734645639691173888. I thinks that URL has a video, just my browser (Firefox) didn't support it. BLOOMING 'PUTERS.

Out of curiosity. I just had a check and my version of Firefox (v46.0.1) .will actually run it, but it's a bit weird as it's little start icon doesn't show up at all initially so it's not really clear that it is a video. I was just about to give up when it finally appeared...

Robbity

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

You do know the can of fizzy drink was taken off the guide?
And chocolate was taken off the plate and stated they're not needed in the diet?
'Eat small amounts and less often' is the tagline for chocolate.
Coca Cola and Mars will be wanting their money back I guess?

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
You do know the can of fizzy drink was taken off the guide?
And chocolate was taken off the plate and stated they're not needed in the diet?
'Eat small amounts and less often' is the tagline for chocolate.
Coca Cola and Mars will be wanting their money back I guess?

No, I didn't, thanks for the clarification. Bit thickheaded to have it there in the first place, wouldn't you agree? I don't know if the companies would like refunds, you obviously think they will?

I'd still like to know what either of them have to do with nutrition.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No, I didn't, thanks for the clarification. Bit thickheaded to have it there in the first place, wouldn't you agree? I don't know if the companies would like refunds, you obviously think they will?

I'd still like to know what either of them have to do with nutrition.

Coca cola historically stripped water from developing countries to produce ****** drinks.
They move with the times, now they have government contracts to produce drinking water in third world countries.
They used to sell high sugar drinks.
Now they sell zero sugar.
They move with the times, they make money by knowing how the market is going, and moving, not by trying to live in the past.

Chocolate.
We all eat chocolate, some of us just change the cocoa concentration.
Mars UK are a big brand of dog and cat food. It doesn't mean we'll be eating it
They probably have more brands of pet food than chocolate nowadays.
Move with the times, or again, get ahead of the times.
Listening works better than shouting.
Pay the money, and you can listen from closer.

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I always listen, never shout. And if paying the money means compromising my integrity - no thanks:D

Dark Horse

Above the list of corporate members it says, "corporate members are invited to support, via a no-strings-attached donation, the Foundation’s charitable work, which focusses on consumer education, and engagement with the media, government, schools and health professionals"

BNF is a charity that says, "We do not lobby, endorse any products, engage in food advertising campaigns or allow commercial or political pressure to influence us when publishing or disseminating information."

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I always listen, never shout. And if paying the money means compromising my integrity - no thanks:D

Mars pay the money, so they can move before the market overtakes them.
Wrigleys gum, a very popular brand, particularly the sugar free range, now makes a lot of their profits, since sugar has been outed. Would they have known to move 8 years ago if they hadn't a seat?

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Above the list of corporate members it says, "corporate members are invited to support, via a no-strings-attached donation, the Foundation’s charitable work, which focusses on consumer education, and engagement with the media, government, schools and health professionals"

BNF is a charity that says, "We do not lobby, endorse any products, engage in food advertising campaigns or allow commercial or political pressure to influence us when publishing or disseminating information."

But the conspiracy theorists always believe they lie.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I just read yer post & it put me in mind of this..?
Lol, put a couple more Is in the spiel, & Red bull will give you wiiiiings.. o_O

Snake oil companies doing good. Is al I is sayin'..

The good old days.
Now they are just a shadow of their former selves.
I think they're just over half the size at best.
They cost more though.