Great old age with diabetes

Joannew187

I just thought I would add some positive news to help others in this journey with diabetes 2. My dad was diagnosed age 50. He is on metformin and has been since diagnoses. He has just celebrated his 90th birthday, still fit and healthy. I was diagnosed 2 years ago age 50 , fingers crossed, with a healthy life style ( which I have not had up until now diet wise) I have 40 years ahead of me too. We read so much about the realities of diabetes but a good old healthy age is possible .

Reactions: 36 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I just thought I would add some positive news to help others in this journey with diabetes 2. My dad was diagnosed age 50. He is on metformin and has been since diagnoses. He has just celebrated his 90th birthday, still fit and healthy. I was diagnosed 2 years ago age 50 , fingers crossed, with a healthy life style ( which I have not had up until now diet wise) I have 40 years ahead of me too. We read so much about the realities of diabetes but a good old healthy age is possible .

Many happy returns to your dad, my dad ( non diabetic) has just celebrated his 92 nd birthday :) They are wonderful aren't they ? :)

Reactions: 6 people

videoman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well done to your farther and theres hope for you as well .I was diagnosed in 1960 and still going strong(ish)

Reactions: 4 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for posting this. :)

And congratulations to your dad.

Achaeopteryx

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

A BIG THANK YOU for sharing this heart warming news. Many happy returns to your Dad and you too.

Romeran

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Interested in your positive news. I am an active 87 yr old, moved to a new area a year ago, have had type 2 for 17 years. My new practice tell me to relax my previous target of about 7 and not to worry about higher blood sugar levels as the nurse is AFRAID I will go into a coma during the night and AFRAID I will fall over and break my hip! In fact, if hungry during the night I awake suddenly which I believe to be normal for a diabetic, still do a little yoga, and, touch wood, have never broken a bone, and I feel happier if I know my average blood sugar is below 8. I dislike the FEAR approach. Do you know your father's recommended levels?

Reactions: 10 people

Joannew187

Interested in your positive news. I am an active 87 yr old, moved to a new area a year ago, have had type 2 for 17 years. My new practice tell me to relax my previous target of about 7 and not to worry about higher blood sugar levels as the nurse is AFRAID I will go into a coma during the night and AFRAID I will fall over and break my hip! In fact, if hungry during the night I awake suddenly which I believe to be normal for a diabetic, still do a little yoga, and, touch wood, have never broken a bone, and I feel happier if I know my average blood sugar is below 8. I dislike the FEAR approach. Do you know your father's recommended levels?
You are doing so well , good on you. My dad has been told that under 9 is OK at his age, not to be too strick with his diet now, just to cut back on potatoes and bread.

LinsT

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What a lovely post - thank you. Hope your dad had a great birthday. In 10 years time I shall be looking out for your post telling us all about his telegram from the queen :))

MaryCanary

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My dad was diagnosed at 18 - in those days they called it a touch of sugar in the blood - and he has diet controlled it all his life. He will be 90 in February! He has always taken care to remain as fit as possible and he has only in the last couple of years developed a liking for a wee tipple!

Reactions: 11 people

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That is really lovely to hear that about your Dad it shows it is possible to live a good complications free life with diabetes.
I also know some older people one in his 90's who have been T2 for years and still no complications and of course they have never heard of LCHF When I tried to explain it to them they said they couldn't go to all that bother and they did not even know how to test their blood as they had never had a meter. I do believe these older people are still without problems because they are the generation who never had fast foods and lots of processed stuff and probably still don't. As far as I could tell they had just cut out most sugar foods although they said they still did have the odd biscuit or two with a cup of tea sometimes and the elderly chap said he always allowed himself a cake on Sunday's As they have got this far without problems they are not going to change anything this late in their lives and they do have a point why should they. I am 76 and prediabetic and the same generation as them so have never had all the processed foods that people eat these days and never been overweight so hopefully even if I do develop T2 that will have helped me
What has your Dads diet been all these years

Last edited by a moderator:

Joannew187

Fingers crossed! His mum ( non diabetic) got to 100 . My mum also has diabetes 2 She was diagnosed age 68 and is now 88. I am a very lucky lady to have both my parents when I am nearing 55. MaryCanary my mum and dad both still call it a touch of sugar so you post made me smile.

Lee P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So pleased to read positive comments. I am fed up being hungry and I say this because most days I stay hungry as I am scared to eat or drink what may not be 'right.' I do know it can be just as bad to be hungry, not eating on time. I am not sure what is safe to eat and drink anymore.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So pleased to read positive comments. I am fed up being hungry and I say this because most days I stay hungry as I am scared to eat or drink what may not be 'right.' I do know it can be just as bad to be hungry, not eating on time. I am not sure what is safe to eat and drink anymore.
There is no right or wrong diet it is what works for you but it is certainly not right to go hungry. We all have to find out for ourselves what suits us best and there is no one diet to suit all. The members here are not experts but just ordinary people with diabetes saying what works for them A lot of what we do depends on other things like our lifestyle other medical issues we may have and medications we take it is not just about diet. Yes as you say really good to hear so many positives about older people who have had diabetes for years and are still doing well

Reactions: 2 people

CHICKY53

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
in 4 weeks I will have been a diabetic for 60 years, type 1 .
It hasn't stopped me doing anything and I have travelled all through Europe The USA and Africa without any problems