Does Metformin ever stay stable?

6cats

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have taken Metformin 1500mgs daily and 400mgs of Gliclazide for 10 weeks now. I go for days without experiencing the nasty side effects then all of a sudden we are off again. I keep a food diary but I cannot work out any reason or pattern. Is this others experience? My running and knowledge of loo whereabouts has improved?! I teach so sometimes it's very difficult?!?!?!?

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

Redsnapper

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hey there. I do not know if it has been mentioned to you by anyone here, but there is a slow release version of Metformin available.For those that have a bad reaction to the standard Metformin, it quite often helps.Ask your G.P. for the SR (Slow Release) version, and see if this helps.My theory is that it is undoubtedly a more expensive drug and the standard version is given to all.Those that can tolerate it fine , and many who can't won't complain or be aware of the slow release version.All to save a few bob.
Also make sure you take your Metformin as instructed with food, as this sometimes helps.

I hope this is of use.

Redsnapper

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was able to tolerate Metformin quite well after the first 24 hours.Some do have a time of it tho.There are loads of discussions around Metformin on here.Have a search around the forum.Make an appt to see your G.P. but perhaps learn a bit about it first from here.Knowledge is power.
Metformin does not significantly lower blood sugar, it only does this slightly and is more often prescribed as an appetite suppresant.Although this does depend on your own situation.You could ask your G.P. whether you need that high a dose or any at all!! And politely but firmly insist on the S.R. version.
Obviously I cannot give you individual advice as we are all different,but someone else with more experience should come along to give you further help.
However I would say I would not put up with toilet roulette myself!!!

PoppyPetal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I've been taking 2 x 500 metformin a day for last couple of weeks. I have found I can tolerate porridge made with water, a splash of cream and a few raspberries and when I take the morning tablet then never have a problem but if I have yogurt and nuts for breakfast I often have a problem. At night never usually a problem so I have thought it is the amount of food you take them with seems to make a difference to me personally. Just my thoughts for you....

6cats

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you. I had a quick look through my food diary and I am wondering g if it might be nuts! Will have to blood test them and see! My issue seems to occur early evening, I think it's a bit of just get on with it really. It's not everyday so not sure it would merit the change to SR. Interesting though!

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
Thank you. I had a quick look through my food diary and I am wondering g if it might be nuts! Will have to blood test them and see! My issue seems to occur early evening, I think it's a bit of just get on with it really. It's not everyday so not sure it would merit the change to SR. Interesting though!

Hi 6cats, I was put on Metformin 500mg 2 daily in Jan this year awful side effects mainly bloating tummy aches and indigestion. Then some people on the forum told me about the SR ones so 4-5 weeks later after lots of feeling rotten I asked my doctor for the SR ones, he prescribed them straight away for me, although he did say I could get more problems with these than standard ones. I was prepared to take that risk as I had not heard anyone on this forum complain with the SR ones. I had a couple of weeks of tummy bloating then it all disappeared, fine now. I know we are all different but I would give them a try. As for taking them with food I take my first one in between eating my breakfast and same at night in between my dinner. Good luck. Personally I eat lots of nuts but then again that's me. :)

bellapodus

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I started taking 1g Metformin SR in February. Apart from a couple of weeks of mild stomach discomfort and a little diarrhea, it was ok. My BG levels are a bit unstable since having laser treatment in my eye a few weeks ago, but the Metformin SR, I feel, is better than the standard.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The only time I ever had the runs on metformin was a couple of times when I first started taking it, and unintentionally ate very slightly too many carbs. Eating starchy food while taking standard metformin can sometimes cause gastric upsets - undigested starch can pass into your gut and get fermented. See http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14045911.php

If it's a serious issue, ask for metformin SR (slow release) as this is less likely to cause any issues.

Robbity

PS Something else you could perhaps check (which is not metformin related) is whether you are eating anything sweetened with sugar alciohols/polyols, as many of these can cause bloating, gas, wind and diarrhoea. Look for names ending in "itol"; erithritol and xylitol should be quite safe, but all the others can be a problem.