Grapes lowering blood sugar

Angela09

Dislikes
Oh, where to start! Am a grumpy old woman!
Hi, I have had T2 for 10 1/2 years and am on Metformin, Pioglitazone, and Glibenclamide plus a Statin and an aspirin. I posted a few months ago that my blood sugar has come down a fair amount according to the test which they do at the doctors.

First of all it came down by .7 (from 7.5) and at my last test it had come down another .5. The only thing I am doing differently is I am eating red grapes at lunchtime. I know some diabetics are on tighter controls and will have to ask if it is ok for them to eat grapes but if you can I can certainly say it works.

My blood sugar had never come down before. If it comes down any further I am going to ask if I can stop taking the Pioglitazone (this is the one med which makes me have hypos, the others don't. So if I can stop taking it it will mean I can reduce my food intake. I certainly need to!). I just wanted to share this with you. It has to be red grapes as the green ones do not contain the chemical which lowers blood sugar.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Hi Angela09 I'd always though that grapes always raised bg levels regardless of colour, but having said that i have not eaten grapes since being diagnosed, mainly because I lack self control with grapes, if I eat one i will eat the whole bunch before i know it :lol:

I may see if I can buy a very small bunch of red grapes and give them a try.

IanS

I get through 2 bunches of grapes a week without any impact on my BG. I believe that the sugar in grapes (fructose) doesn't cause a problem anyway.

IanS

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
I can't touch Grapes.......my Bg rockets after just 4-5, probably because I keep tight control of my Bg levels throughout the day. To me it's like having a sugary drink. I just can't touch them....I wish I could. :( Makes no difference what colour they are. They are not on my menu.

Every individual has to try them and test, same as with any other foods, not everybody will get the same results ! Don't assume that because they are OK for YOU, they are OK for everybody !! Don't assume also that just because your HbA1c is low, they aren't having an effect on your Bg levels.....they just might be spiking your daily levels without you knowing anything about it !

They certainly have NEVER lowered MY blood glucose levels.....now, give me a Banana... :D :wink:

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
Angela

You say that your blood sugars have come down “according to the test which they do at the doctors” so congratulations on that.

However, what I would like to know is what the finger prick tests and the strips you use at home indicate is the result of you eating grapes, please?

C

catherinecherub

Hi Angela,
I think the chemical in red grapes that you are referring to is Resveratrol.
There were some studies done using rodents to see if it would help with lowering blood sugars,

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/166415.php

Red or green grapes are not for me as my blood sugars soar. We are all different springs to mind. :wink:

Catherine.

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
lucky you,
i love green seedless grapes but they make my bloods sky high :?

I recall reading that you would have to drink 200 glasses of red wine to get a sufficient dose of the desired chemical in grape skins to achieve the effects that had been observed in studies which had a lot to do with obese mice. That is a lot of grapes. Suggests that there in not enough of the stuff in the skins of even a few kilos of grapes to have an impact.

IanS

Foggitthedoggit said:
I recall reading that you would have to drink 200 glasses of red wine to get a sufficient dose of the desired chemical in grape skins to achieve the effects that had been observed in studies which had a lot to do with obese mice.

I think I could have reasonable attempt at making a dent in that. :lol:

IanS (hic!)

Synonym

Dislikes
In the absence of any reply from Angela we are still left with only the clinic HBA1C blood test as far as I can see. This is an average over the previous 3 or 6 months is it not?

Angela does not say whether she is testing before and after her meals and so we could all be discussing a 'red herring' as if she is not testing she would have no idea what effect eating red grapes has on her blood sugar.

Come on Angela, stop teasing and let us know what you are doing! :D

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm losing faith in HbA1c - I've had a few crazy readings of late (up to 18mmol! :shock: ) and my latest HbA1c was still around teh 7mmol mark.

Even though the test IS an average, readings like that would have quite a high inpact on that average.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Patch said:
I'm losing faith in HbA1c - I've had a few crazy readings of late (up to 18mmol! :shock: ) and my latest HbA1c was still around teh 7mmol mark.

Even though the test IS an average, readings like that would have quite a high inpact on that average.

Patch.
I always use daily levels as MY benchmark. As you say HbA1c is just an average. Averages will NEVER be better than the daily frequent Bg level readings. If I was to trust my HbA1c at present I would be falsely assuming that I was fairly well controlled. That recently has been FAR from the truth !

This is from a website all about HbA1c:
Glucose levels fluctuate from minute to minute, hour to hour, and day to day. Thus for hour to hour control, or day to day, a glucose level is the best guide.
The HbA1C level changes slowly, over 10 weeks, so it can be used as a 'quality control' test.

jopar

Patch

It is surprising what sinister highs and lows can be hidden by the humble HbA1c, and how carefully one needs to interpretate this gem of information...

Even with spikes, it's not quite how high the spike goes, as it depends on both the level and how long it takes to return to normal alongside how often this is happening..

One of my diabetic books copyright date late 80's, suggests that if the blood glucose level remains above 17mmol/ml for longer than 30 minutes this is when it starts to do the damage to our bodies! Not sure how reflective this is, as I should imagine that the compiling data used, woudl have been blood tests tested with less accurate methods than we enjoy today,

I do wonder what base line blood glucose they were using, is this a long lasting spike derived from a normal blood glucose or was it based on a diabetic having a raised base line blood glucose, and when they ate it took them over the 17mmoml/ml but damage was dependant on how quick it returned to the diaebtic base line I'm afriad that your guess is as good as mine..

Angela09

Dislikes
Sorry about the delay in replying, I am only on the computer for an hour a day! I don't test my blood sugar (I don't like doing it. Sorry, just being honest). I am happy to go by the test at the doctor's and I am pleased it has come down. I would inevitably have highs and lows, for example when I had Swine Flu. I am saving up the testing for if and when I have to have insulin. I also used to have various symptoms of higher blood sugar (which I would rather not mention) and these have all completely cleared up. I am going to continue eating the red grapes as I really think they are helping. I checked with the dietician nurse about eating grapes and she said it is ok (for me). Shall I let you know if it comes down any further? It came down by .7 at my test before last and by .5 at my recent test. Good going I think!

cugila

Master
Dislikes
Angela09 said:
I don't test my blood sugar (I don't like doing it. Sorry, just being honest). I am happy to go by the test at the doctor's and I am pleased it has come down. I would inevitably have highs and lows, for example when I had Swine Flu. I am saving up the testing for if and when I have to have insulin.

Sorry....being honest here. Nobody actually likes testing, it is something that just needs to be done !

By not doing any testing you are relying on an average reading. this just shows a trend, nothing more.

To know what is actually happening to your blood sugars when you eat/drink you have to test frequently for at least a little while, regardless of what your Nurse or anybody else says. You say you are saving the testing for the time when you have to have Insulin. If you get full control of your Diabetes you might NEVER have to go on Insulin. It is not a foregone conclusion !

I can't believe that you actually think that will happen....... :? Your choice I know, frankly....not a good one !

Angela09

Dislikes
Of course I don't want that to happen lol. I have been told that it is inevitable. I suppose that is partly why I am pleased that I seem to be reversing the decline. At every other test previously I was either the same or worse. T2 runs in my Dad's side of the family. I wish I had known about the effect of red grapes sooner which is why I thought I would post about it on here.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
Angela09 said:
Of course I don't want that to happen lol. I have been told that it is inevitable. I suppose that is partly why I am pleased that I seem to be reversing the decline. At every other test previously I was either the same or worse. T2 runs in my Dad's side of the family. I wish I had known about the effect of red grapes sooner which is why I thought I would post about it on here.

Angela.

NOTHING in life is inevitable......except Death ! Whoever told you that advice simply does not know what they are talking about ! There is no reason why a well controlled Diabetic should progress to Insulin. I think you need to look at the success stories on this Forum.

I'm sorry to be blunt but I believe in straight talking and I hate to see people making mistakes like I did all those years ago.....it really saddens me. NHS advice nearly killed me .....then I listened to the advice from people on here. People who have made those self same mistakes, then listened to other members and became well controlled Diabetic's....who don't just rely on a 3 monthly HbA1c. Sheer folly !

IanS

Seconded.

I would never have got the HbA1c below if I had followed the dietician's advice and relied entirely on not knowing my BG levels until the 3 month HBA1c.

In fact my self monitoring told me that something was definitely wrong as I couldn't get anywhere near the BG levels that had been set as a target (and from what I know now, they were pretty generous). On finding this site, I made the target and surpased it within a week.

I was greatly annoyed with the susequent talk with the dietician when I was able to tell her that I had got the diet sorted as my HBA1c clearly showed. In spite of that, she wanted me to change it back to the one she had given me to start with in spite of the clear evidence that I had shown her that it was no good (BG plots from my meter). I leave it as an exercise for the reader to figure out where the conversation went from there.

IanS

Synonym

Dislikes
Hi Angela

To rely on a 3 or 6 month average for your health is a bit like relying on an average balance in your bank account. You may have an average of £500 credit balance overall but if that is made up of more debit balances than credit balances you will find that the bank manager will make you pay dearly and so it is with your health.

I can’t believe that you have not yet taken control of your own life!

:shock: :shock: :shock: