Ready to take control after 3 1/2 years with Type 2

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm finally ready to take control. I have pushed it aside for far too long and let my blood sugars be high as the sky. I will be trying intermittent fasting and will be recording my blood sugar levels properly for the first time. Are there any good apps for android that are helpful.

Reactions: 3 people

phil1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I use MySugr (https://mysugr.com/) on iOS, but it's also available on Android. It's a solid app and definitely helped me get control

Good luck!

Buxtonstill

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Diaconnect is good. Tells you what your hba1c will be, based on putting readings in, and it is very accurate. You can also produce graphs and charts, and send them to yourself or anyone else in an email format.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm finally ready to take control. I have pushed it aside for far too long and let my blood sugars be high as the sky. I will be trying intermittent fasting and will be recording my blood sugar levels properly for the first time. Are there any good apps for android that are helpful.
What made you reach this decision after all this time @akindrat18 ?
Hope you can have the determination to see it through this time. You have had so many set backs in the past.
Good luck, and keep posting.

Li4m79

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
i use "Blood Glucose Tracker" on android just now, its handy for glucose readings, weight, meds etc, but it isn't handy for diet (ie carb counting food etc) It provides a quick way to input readings as you get them, and a nice wee graph so you can see how you're doing

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=mobi.littlebytes.android.bloodglucosetracker

Although i'm newly diagnosed, using the app has proven invaluable in finding out what makes me spike and when I'm most likely to spike.... good luck man!!!

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hold your horses matey.
You were put on insulin a while back if i remember..?
Though you should test & record regularly. The "intermittent fasting" may cause issue with your insulin dosage...
Care & consideration must be expressed with the fasting. Along with consultation with your doctor...

Gotta be mentioned.

magsiesss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who drive with fog lights on when its only a bit of mist
Diaconnect is good. Tells you what your hba1c will be, based on putting readings in, and it is very accurate. You can also produce graphs and charts, and send them to yourself or anyone else in an email format.

Doctors are impressed with charts .. well mine was and let me have a blood test a month early

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@akindrat18 If you are taking insulin, it would be worth discussing intermittent fasting with your medical team. It is likely that you will need to adjust the amounts of insulin that you take to avoid hypos (as Type 1s have to), so please be careful!

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Nice to see you back @akindrat18 .

I do agree with the others, voicing concern for fasting alongside insulin. Do you have the support of your diabetes team in adopting this approach?

After all your frustrations, has anything in particular made you feel so much more ready to give this thing a run for it's money?

I wish you well.

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
What made you reach this decision after all this time @akindrat18 ?
Hope you can have the determination to see it through this time. You have had so many set backs in the past.
Good luck, and keep posting.

Nice to see you back @akindrat18 .

I do agree with the others, voicing concern for fasting alongside insulin. Do you have the support of your diabetes team in adopting this approach?

After all your frustrations, has anything in particular made you feel so much more ready to give this thing a run for it's money?

I wish you well.

I haven't discussed it with my diabetes team yet, but I've got the support of my family after they heard about high fat and low carb being good for weight loss on GMB. I haven't begun intermittent fasting yet as I lost my meter last Monday and getting a new one has been taking time, but I've still got a ketone meter and had no ketones present this past week.

I've got an appointment today to see my hospital doctor and I'm going to discuss LCHF diet and intermittent fasting with him to see if he approves as my morning blood sugars are still sky high, even if I have just eggs and bacon my blood sugars sky rocket.

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good to see you back on the Forum @akindrat18

I am sure we all have our fingers crossed that you will have the courage and determination to follow through this time.

Good luck.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I haven't discussed it with my diabetes team yet, but I've got the support of my family after they heard about high fat and low carb being good for weight loss on GMB. I haven't begun intermittent fasting yet as I lost my meter last Monday and getting a new one has been taking time, but I've still got a ketone meter and had no ketones present this past week.

I've got an appointment today to see my hospital doctor and I'm going to discuss LCHF diet and intermittent fasting with him to see if he approves as my morning blood sugars are still sky high, even if I have just eggs and bacon my blood sugars sky rocket.

Being on relatively recently on insulin, it really is important you are prepared and supported if this is something you are determined to do.

I can't recall if you insulin is a fixed dose or if you adjust for the carbs you eat?

I can't reiterate strongly enough that these fasting diets are not usually designed with insulin dependent diabetics in mind, so please, please ensure you are safe.

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Being on relatively recently on insulin, it really is important you are prepared and supported if this is something you are determined to do.

I can't recall if you insulin is a fixed dose or if you adjust for the carbs you eat?

I can't reiterate strongly enough that these fasting diets are not usually designed with insulin dependent diabetics in mind, so please, please ensure you are safe.

I'm on levemir 24 units day and night and novorapid 30 units at breakfast and 22 units for lunch and evening meal. Not so long ago I had to do a 20 hour fast for a water deprivation test as the hospital are concerned about my fluid intake and output. My blood sugars bordered between 11 and 17 mmol/L when I was in the hospital and I took half my insulin dose in the morning when I got their.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Do speak to your team before you make changes @akindrat18

You're on fixed doses of fast acting insulin before your meals so if you suddenly have a very different meal that's low carb, you could run the risk of potentially serious hypos.

I suggest you maybe make a plan of what you're hoping to be eating on your new regime - meal by meal - and show it to your diabetes team so they can see if your insulin doses need adjusting.

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree with the advice given about being careful and discussing with your medical team first. I'm also on fixed dosage bolus insulin. I've not been taught to carb count and wouldn't have a clue what my carb to insulin ratio is. I wish they taught me this stuff here. I don't know how it works. I'll figure it out one of these days.

I wish you the best though :)

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
My appointment with the doctor was a bust. He told me that eating high amounts of fat is no good for me as it could cause problems such as ketosis and low testosterone. I was disheartened and then he said and I quote "inadequate carbohydrate intake can decrease testosterone, increase cortisol and has a negative effect on exercise performance."

On top of that bombshell, the doctor told me that they are going to try a new insulin drug that will replace my levemir with a once daily injection to get my sugar levels in single digits.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My appointment with the doctor was a bust. He told me that eating high amounts of fat is no good for me as it could cause problems such as ketosis and low testosterone. I was disheartened and then he said and I quote "inadequate carbohydrate intake can decrease testosterone, increase cortisol and has a negative effect on exercise performance."

On top of that bombshell, the doctor told me that they are going to try a new insulin drug that will replace my levemir with a once daily injection to get my sugar levels in single digits.

Oh dear. Did you ask the Doc for some scientific papers you could read, in order to understand all of these side-effects of inadequate carb intake? I know I would be very interested in reading them myself.

Aside from a change of insulin, did he offer you anything else, positive?

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh dear. Did you ask the Doc for some scientific papers you could read, in order to understand all of these side-effects of inadequate carb intake? I know I would be very interested in reading them myself.

Aside from a change of insulin, did he offer you anything else, positive?

No I didn't get the chance to ask him, but I've done some research of my own and visited a site www.anabolicmen.com/carbohydrates-testosterone which was a interesting read as the person who wrote the article divides carbohydrate foods into two groups and says to boost testosterone levels, I should eat potatoes, carrots, beetroot, squash and stay away from grain foods like pasta, rice, cereals and bread.

The doctor said that I've lost some weight so that is some good news. I've got appointments in the next few weeks, with one next week to see the haematologist, another the week after to see the dietitian and another on 7th July to see the doctor that treated me in December.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.

Come on!!!!

Join us on the journey. I am sure you will discover the impact not just on your diabetes, but also all your metabolic markers and the way you feel will be great:)

Just ask with any questions you have or support you need... There is always somebody it's a kind word and/or some wisdom on offer:)

Diagnosed 13/4/16: T2, no meds, HbA1c 53, FBG 12.6, Trigs 3.6, HDL .75, LDL 4.0, BP 169/95, 13st 8lbs, waist 34" (2012 - 17st 7lbs, w 42").

6/6/16: FBG AV 4.6, Trigs 1.5, HDL 2.0, LDL 3.0, BP 112/68, BPM 66, 11st 11lbs, waist 30".

Regime: 20g LCHF, run 1 mile daily, weekly fasting.