Porridge - which is best for you?

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
I have both Scott's porridge oats and Oats so Simple at home.

Is their a particular brand of porridge which forum users would recommend?

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Oats so Simple. Read the label with the Carb content........ :shock:
They are terrifically high in Carbs and I find them not good for ME.

I use Scot's Porage Oats...a 30g portion with Semi Skimmed Milk and Splenda as a sugar substitute.
This has no detrimental effect on my Bg levels.

Testing will conform which is best for you.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
A couple of years ago, when I was low GI, before converting to low carb, Ithought I'd try porridge. A food I've never actually like much.
Idiscussed choices with David Mendosa, whio put me in the way of Irish cut oats, which are lower GI than any other kind.
I had a tin for ages, before eventually giving it to the birds, because I still didn't like it.
The coarser the oats, the better for slowing glucose release. Most brands of porridge range from about 61% to 68% carb

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
I'm currently having Scott's porridge oats with skimmed milk only. I used to add a spoonful of honey to sweeten it, before my betes diagnosis.

It's probably a dumb question, but, does the odd spoonful of honey, in for example porridge do us any harm, or will it send my BG to crazy levels?

I should also add that my family only eat manuka honey; expensive I know but has better health properties - allegedly

C

catherinecherub

Hi Ardbeg,
I personally would forgo the honey and add berries and flaked almonds to balance the porridge out.
It nevers spikes my blood sugars this way but then again some people can eat potatoes but not me. :( :( Everything is trial and error.

Catherine.

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
Berries and flaked almonds sounds nice.

Thanks Catherine

lordbrecon

I use old fashioned porridge oats sweetener and skimmed milk every third morning. The other two mornings I have morristons kipper fillets, with two slices of bread,or two boiled eggs and soldiers.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I use to love my oats (no pun intended) but since cutting back on the carbs a wee bit, I have been having All-bran for breakfast, as it is a low-gi cereal and doesn't spike my blood. I might try a small portion of oats once again, the scotch porridge variety, and test afterwards. I do like ready brek, but I think that due to it being highly processed, it may cause spikes.

Lordbreacon, boiled eggs and soldiers................now your talking!!! :wink:

Nigel

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
Whatever you use to make your porridge just make sure that you test your blood before and afterwards to see what effect it has on your blood glucose levels. I have tested and discovered that mine went sky high so no longer eat it at present. :cry:

In our family we always make it with pinhead oatmeal and water which is gently cuddled into a lovely creamy porridge overnight in the Aga and served with whatever takes your fancy. 8) Does it sound like I am having withdrawal symptoms by any chance? :(

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Yes it does Synonym! :)

Mind that sounds a lovely way of making porridge, I shall take your advice on board.

Thank you.

Nigel

wallycorker

Ardbeg said:

Hi Ardberg,

My advice would be to steer clear of porridge altogether unless you have tested and found that some particular type has only minimal effects on your blood glucose levels. That certainly isn't the case for me - porridge shoves my levels into double figures!

Best wishes - John

clearviews

Dislikes
Arrogance, sarcasm and liars
Out of desperation to find another breakfast option to eggs, bacon, almond meal muffins, etc etc I invented this as whole rolled oats are way off my range.

No cooking required Psyllium Husk Pudding/Porridge

1/2 cup coconut milk (or soy, or whole milk or whatever fits your requirements)
1/2 cup water (if the milk or carb content can be higher just omit water and increase milk)
1 tsp vanilla essence or flavour of choice
sweetener (I use Stevia)
2 level tablespoons psyllium husks
Mix together and allow to stand to thicken. Warm in micro if desired for winter breakie or refrigerate if wanted for a summer breakie or dessert.
I serve with some berries, cream, diet jelly, almonds, cooked rhubarb though not necessarily all at once!........
Then again once or twice..............

captainlynne

Sounds good - but what are psyllium husks, and where can I buy them?

Wish Dietician I spoke with yesterday could read this thread - told me that if carbs (including porridge) raised my bg like this my T2 must be poorly controlled and I should be on Metformin. :shock: Should have seen her face when she realised my HbA1C was 6.7! :D

Lynne

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
wallycorker said:
Ardbeg said:

Hi Ardberg,

My advice would be to steer clear of porridge altogether unless you have tested and found that some particular type has only minimal effects on your blood glucose levels. That certainly isn't the case for me - porridge shoves my levels into double figures!

Best wishes - John

I haven't tested myself an hour or two after eating porridge to be honest. I will do tomorrow.

Generally speaking my readings are coming down and are all now within 1 point above or below 7, which after only 3 weeks I'm more than happy with.

Just started taking Benfotiamine today also so will be very interested to see if this affects my readings in the coming weeks too.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Ardberg,

Sounds like things are improving for you!

I would test just the same, see what your numbers are like 1 and 2 hours after. Don't forget, you could eat a smaller size portion and throw in some seeds or berries to bulk it up. Porridge is a nutritious food, very good for helping to reduce blood pressure and cholesterol, so if you can eat it and maintain good bg's, you are very lucky indeed!

Nigel

Reactions: UCR100

Lynne51

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi all i havent posted for a while i was diagnosed type 2 in july 09 i am diet and exercise controlled to date i have lost just over four stone my hba1c was 7.2 it is now 6.6 sorry im rambling i was reading the thread on porridge which i eat a 30g portion of jumbo oats made with mostly water a splash of semi milk and a teaspoon of sweetner so i decided to check out my bg at 8 am was 5 then 1 hour was 6.4 then 2hours it was 6 i hsve been eating the same brecci since i started my diet on easter monday 09.I also had a couple of treats over xmas ie choc profiteroles &choc mousse dessert & a slice of homemaid choc log not at the same time mind you and both times i tested before was 4.8 before 1 hour later 5.2 2hour later back to five i can only put this down to the weight loss unless anybody knows differently . love to you all Lynne

Romola

I have porridge (small portion) with a teaspoon of maple syrup on.

No probs with bg as yet.

BUT we are all different, so testing essential to find out what you can get away with, and what you can't.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Lynne51 said:
Hi all i havent posted for a while i was diagnosed type 2 in july 09 i am diet and exercise controlled to date i have lost just over four stone my hba1c was 7.2 it is now 6.6 sorry im rambling i was reading the thread on porridge which i eat a 30g portion of jumbo oats made with mostly water a splash of semi milk and a teaspoon of sweetner so i decided to check out my bg at 8 am was 5 then 1 hour was 6.4 then 2hours it was 6 i hsve been eating the same brecci since i started my diet on easter monday 09.I also had a couple of treats over xmas ie choc profiteroles &choc mousse dessert & a slice of homemaid choc log not at the same time mind you and both times i tested before was 4.8 before 1 hour later 5.2 2hour later back to five i can only put this down to the weight loss unless anybody knows differently . love to you all Lynne

Their amazing numbers Lynne! :shock:

Seems like you can tolarate oats with little impact on your bg's.....lucky you!

Nigel

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
It looks like I will need to re think my breakfast choice.

Took a reading when I first woke up at 8.8. Then had Scott's porridge oats and took another reading one hour after. That reading was 12.8 :shock: