Type 1: What are your HbA1c test results?

JJO

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, newly diagnosed T1 (from a T2 diagnosis). Wrote up a timeline for signature so figured I'd post it here too. Long road. Reintroducing some carbohydrates in my diet and am on 15u Levemir once a day, 3x 5u Novarapid with meals and 2g of metformin (1g twice a day).

HbA1c and other history
2012 - 82mmol/mol (9.7%) (Diagnosis of T2, 115kg)
2013 - 38mmol/mol (5.6%)
2014 - Feb 54mmol/mol (7.1%) Dec 48mmol/mol (6.3%)
2015 - 60mmol/mol (7.6%)
2016 - Jan 59mmol/mol (7.5%) March 60mmol/mol (7.6%) GAD+ve
2016 - April Ketotic in A+E! Started on insulin with a working diagnosis of a form of T1(?1.5 ?LADA, 67kg)

Reactions: 2 people

lizziewizzie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
44cfc2f7a1ec6a714af944c441f676a2.jpg

From 112 in December to 54 today!!

I feel like a giddy child getting good exam results!!

X

Sent from my SM-G920F using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

Reactions: 5 people

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
40 at the last test, up from my record 39. As stressed by many other forum members please remember that the older fashioned (lower numeric value) is expressed in percent and not mmol/L.

Thus my latest would be 5.8%

Cheers,
Grant

Geri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stress and feeling exhausted.
My latest is 8.4 or around 9%. Have been this for around 20 years so got to get it lower.

Reactions: 5 people

cara147m

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I still work in old % after 27 years of diabetes.

Latest HbA1c is 7.7% down from 8.4% 3 months ago - hoping to get down to 6%.

Amazed by all the low results on here - not sure how everyone manages it - thought I had a good grip on diabetes but think I have really been clueless for years! Unfortunately only just getting to grips with by control after so long - hope it's not too late! x

james122

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
HIGH blood sugars!
5.7 is my latest hba1c, I would rather spend all day low than ill in the future!

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
@james122

5.7 is excellent work - you are obviously doing something right, so give yourself a big pat on the back ;)

noraabdull

Type of diabetes
Type 1
just got diagnosed with type 1 last week and its 10
hopefully managing to successfully lowering it during the next few months :(
all the articles about complications weren't very nice

superdom

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Being told I can't have this and that

Amazed by all the low results on here - not sure how everyone manages it - thought I had a good grip on diabetes but think I have really been clueless for years! Unfortunately only just getting to grips with by control after so long - hope it's not too late! x

As you can probably tell cara147m, most people just get lucky most of the time when their results are so low.
Don't worry about your results compared to everyone else's.... as long as your basic diabetes management is around about where you want it to be then don't put pressure on yourself trying to imitate other people.

Cheers.

Dom

Reactions: 4 people

becky.ford93

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
14 months in, and have managed to get down from 53mmol/mol (7.0%) in December 2015 to 50 (6.7%) today. Pleased with that :) baby steps - aiming for 48 next time!

Last edited by a moderator:

Italie

My last HbA1C was 44, up from 37 (5.5%) 6 months ago. I was so shocked and disappointed at the rise BUT, according to my consultant, recent research shows that extended periods of low bgl, i.e sitting between 3-4 affects the 'electrics' around your heart and, increasingly, people are dropping dead as a result!! They have been trying to get me between 42 (6.0%) and 52 (6.9%) for a couple of years but I've always aimed for as low as possible. Trying to change my mindset now. Apparently on a risk chart, under 42 gives you the same risk as over 52. I could draw the graph but cant explain it very well in text, lol

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
Received my HBA1C results this morning and got a 4.7 %. Was expecting a bollocking from the Doc but instead was congratulated as the result was achieved with only 3 hypo's (in the last 2 months) and lots of exercise. Can't complain, 0.1 % away from Bernstein's recommended A1c.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people

wiserkurtious

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes :P having to eat food in moderation
6.1% insulin free,for now type 1 diabetic :) over the moon

SRO

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
125 6 months ago - now down to 67!
Next target in 3 months is 53!
fingers crossed...

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

A fair few of the amazing results in this thread belong to Type 2s who are posting in a Type 1 thread and confusing the issue for us T1s. But some are T1s who are well trained and/or well equipped with pumps, cgms and so on.

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A fair few of the amazing results in this thread belong to Type 2s who are posting in a Type 1 thread and confusing the issue for us T1s. But some are T1s who are well trained and/or well equipped with pumps, cgms and so on.

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

... To be fair. A good A1c is a good A1c, whatever the type. :cool:

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
And to be fair... I actually think type 2s have a harder time of it than us 1s. They really have to be careful what they eat. We can cheat and just stick a bit extra insulin in! :oops:

I disagree with this , I was initially diagnosed as T2 and it was a doddle in comparison to T1. 1 Metformin per day , no injections, no hypo's , healthy eating, low carb and lots of exercise. I was classed as T2 for at least 2 months and was gutted with the T1 diagnosis and when I went onto injections.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And to be fair... I actually think type 2s have a harder time of it than us 1s. They really have to be careful what they eat. We can cheat and just stick a bit extra insulin in! :oops:

:D The grass is always greener... or is it less green?