Prescriptions

Matthew-G-Bell

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People walking slowly in hallways.
Hey all, I haven't posted here in a while, been really busy with exams recently!

It is my birthday today (hooray!) - and while I am still 2 years from being 18, I was wondering if I will have to pay for prescriptions (test strips, insulin, needles etc) when I turn 18, and if so, how much will this cost?

I live in England, specifically Essex.

Thanks
-Matt

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Hey all, I haven't posted here in a while, been really busy with exams recently!

It is my birthday today (hooray!) - and while I am still 2 years from being 18, I was wondering if I will have to pay for prescriptions (test strips, insulin, needles etc) when I turn 18, and if so, how much will this cost?

I live in England, specifically Essex.

Thanks
-Matt
Hi Matt, your prescriptions will be free as long as you fill in the form to obtain an exemption certificate.
Very Happy Birthday as well :)

Matthew-G-Bell

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People walking slowly in hallways.
Hi Matt, your prescriptions will be free as long as you fill in the form to obtain an exemption certificate.
Very Happy Birthday as well :)
Thanks for the birthday wish - I was under the impression it was free however I have heard mixed information, and as such wanted to check - I will of course speak to the team closer to the time, just wanted a rough idea.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Thanks for the birthday wish - I was under the impression it was free however I have heard mixed information, and as such wanted to check - I will of course speak to the team closer to the time, just wanted a rough idea.
Yes prescriptions are free as long as you have an exemption certificate. The certificate costs nothing. All that happens is you ask your GP to fill in and sign the form, they send it off and you receive a credit card size bit of plastic to show the pharmacy staff if requested. The exemption is not automatic you have to apply for it and renew the exemption every 5 years.

Munsa

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Moaners! That there's no cure for diabetes.
Come north of the border and you won't even have to fill in an exemption certificate! Happy birthday x