• prediabetes.jpg
    prediabetes.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 1,441

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You have had an HbA1c test which has shown that, on a sort of average over the previous 2 to 3 months, you have been running in the pre-diabetic range. This does not let you off the hook! If you return to your old eating habits the diabetic levels will return.
I'm afraid that a low/reduced carb diet is for life in most cases, even if you get your levels down under the 42 cut off. Some lucky people can maintain normal levels and eat a lot more carbs, but others can't.

Reactions: 2 people

barbaraww

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You have had an HbA1c test which has shown that, on a sort of average over the previous 2 to 3 months, you have been running in the pre-diabetic range. This does not let you off the hook! If you return to your old eating habits the diabetic levels will return.
I'm afraid that a low/reduced carb diet is for life in most cases, even if you get your levels down under the 42 cut off. Some lucky people can maintain normal levels and eat a lot more carbs, but others can't.
Thanks for that info. Bluetit, will keep at it then. My main worry was/is should I tell my travel insurance company or DVLC or just carry on regardless & trust that I won't have to go on Metformin again.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You don't need to inform the DVLA unless you are on insulin. I wouldn't bother telling your travel insurance company if they already have it on record that you are Type 2 diabetic. Until your doctor takes you off the diabetes register, you are still diabetic. He is unlikely to take you off the register until you have shown him you can maintain non-diabetic levels without the aid of medication for a year or more.

barbaraww

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for that info. Bluetit, will keep at it then. My main worry was/is should I tell my travel insurance company or DVLC or just carry on regardless & trust that I won't have to go on Metformin again.
Thank you so much for giving me all this information; I feel really encouraged & now see a light at the end of the tunnel.

Reactions: 6 people

Keesha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Once a diabetic, always a diabetic no matter how well it is managed with or without medication. It is a life long disease and doesn't go away. Sorry to sound so negative, but there is no cure for diabetes, only management, and it is hard work giving up a lot of food you love. Give yourself a pat on your back each time you see a good blood glucose reading and HBA1C.

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum

Reactions: 4 people

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A few people on this forum have stated that they have been taken off the diabetic register. I would encourage you to keep going and see if you can get your levels down into the non-diabetic range. Well done with your progress.

barbaraww

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A few people on this forum have stated that they have been taken off the diabetic register. I would encourage you to keep going and see if you can get your levels down into the non-diabetic range. Well done with your progress.
Wow looking at your results you put me in the shade, so thanks for the advice which I will strive to follow. Don't have too much problem with food but struggle with my alcohol although I only drink at weekends now. Well done you, if I can get to your level !!!!

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow looking at your results you put me in the shade, so thanks for the advice which I will strive to follow. Don't have too much problem with food but struggle with my alcohol although I only drink at weekends now. Well done you, if I can get to your level !!!!

I'm still on diabetic register but do now feel I have control until something goes wrong which is why I continue to monitor.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm still on diabetic register but do now feel I have control until something goes wrong which is why I continue to monitor.
I think it depends on your GP as I have had a normal hba1c for 2 years and am still on the diabetic register whereas my work colleague had a normal reading for a year and was taken off the register. I may be wrong but I think that GPs get funding for diabetic patients so, being cynical, it makes sense to keep someone well controlled on the register as it makes their %s look good ( and my practice currently needs all the help it's given) for having controlled diabetics and it costs them little in treatment etc.

Myangelsmom

I think it is a lot like cancer really, you may put your diabetes into remission, and you may live out the rest of your life with it in remission (God willing!) - but the diabetes will always be there waiting for it's chance to take hold again.

THAT BEING SAID, I want off any register as soon as I can, it affects things like insurance rates and the likes to have a pre-existing medical comdition, and if my condition is no longer active, and that is because *I* dealt with it be hard work and effort, I deserve to not be penalised fkr having had it once in the past, you know?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was offered to come off the register last December. I declined. I prefer the 6 monthly monitoring to keep me on my toes. I haven't experienced any problems with insurance. In fact it worked in my favour when we wanted an annuity - better rates as they think we won't live as long. :)

robertconroy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Ok, I'm a nutritionist in California and I specialize in diabetes and obesity. We use a different numbering system here for HbA1C. 5.8% - 6.4% is prediabetic range. 6.5% and higher is diabetic.
Can you reverse tyle 2 diabetes?
The answer is yes. But you have to fix what caused it first. Most doctors don't have a clue what type 2 diabetes is, and what caused it. They think if you're overweight, as 80% of type 2s are, being overweight is what caused it.
Well the bad news is high insulin causes both.
The root of both diseases is high insulin from eating too many high glycemic carbohydrates.
All diabetes drugs just raise insulin to pound glucose into the cell. This works, depending how much insulin resistance you have. Some t 2s can shoot 40 units of insulin and it does very little to lower blood sugar. If a type 1 shot up this much they might go into a coma.
If your a1c is below 5.8% consistently, you technically are no longer diabetic or even pre-diabetic. But how did you do this? If you still have to take drugs to maintain this level, you are controlled, but you still have insulin resistance. If you go back to eating the junk foods that gave you diabetes, your blood sugar shows diabetic levels again.
The only safe way to control diabetes is diet and exercise. Diabetes drugs just raise insulin, which makes your insulin resistance worse, not better.
Most all chronic diseases we face as humans are caused by high insulin. Exercise makes your body more sensitive to insulin. If you learn the glycemic load of foods, this is your most powerful weapon against diabetes and obesity. Grains are the number 1 cause of most all chronic disease and a non-organic potato is the worst food on earth for a diabetic/anyone.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have seen recent research indicating that type 2 diabetes can be cured.
If it is reputable research it won't use the word 'cure'.
They will hedge their bets with words like 'reverse' and 'remission'.

But there are a heck of a lot of miracle cures all over the internet, all selling false hope...

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you go back to eating the junk foods that gave you diabetes, your blood sugar shows diabetic levels again.

I get very tired of reading this kind of mis-information.

Your statement is factually incorrect and insulting enough for me to discard the rest of your post.
You really won't get very far if you offend every T2 reader by announcing/assuming that they caused their T2 by eating junk food.

I accept that you may have met some people who eat/ate junk food and got diabetes, but your logic fails if you try to draw cause and effect from that. FAR too many other variables.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 6 people

busydiabeticmum

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I get very tired of reading this kind of mis-information.

Your statement is factually incorrect and insulting enough for me to discard the rest of your post.
You really won't get very far if you offend every T2 reader by announcing/assuming that they caused their T2 by eating junk food.

I accept that you may have met some people who eat/ate junk food and got diabetes, but your logic fails if you try to draw cause and effect from that. FAR too many other variables.

I got it from steroids!!!