Freestyle Libre

Senga

Just received fantastic news today I will be getting a free trial of the freestyle libra on Wednesday for 14days. I live in the UK and this has been arranged by my diabetic nurses and the freestyle rep for a group of us.
I have been trying to read up on issues people have been having as I am excited but also nervous about getting it.
Any comments to prepare me would be welcome.
Regards Senga

Reactions: 3 people

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Don't do it!...........you'll want one all the time!

There's plenty of threads on the forum about it with lots of comments for first time users to read up on.

Hope you're not a 'reactor' and that you get a good well behaved sensor, and prepare to feel a failure when you see the peaks and troughs first time ;)

Reactions: 2 people

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You will want one FOREVER! Couldn't be without mine. Fabulous piece of kit.

What a fabulous opportunity - enjoy the trial!

I like to apply my sensors 36 hours before activating them - that way the tissue injured by the probe being inserted has calmed down. You'll find loads of stuff on loads of threads on this forum with lots of advice - have a good read of them all!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The Libre is great.

Even with just two weeks of using it you will learn so much!

But I am afraid the others are right - you will want another sensor after the first one runs out. lol.

Sarah Ann Hodges

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just received fantastic news today I will be getting a free trial of the freestyle libra on Wednesday for 14days. I live in the UK and this has been arranged by my diabetic nurses and the freestyle rep for a group of us.
I have been trying to read up on issues people have been having as I am excited but also nervous about getting it.
Any comments to prepare me would be welcome.
Regards Senga
Its the best thing I've ever had its alot of money basically it's 100 quid a month for the sensors but wld not be without it now...husband can scan me whilst asleep as I'm having bad typos that I don't wake from so from a safety point of view it's brill.

Senga

Don't do it!...........you'll want one all the time!

There's plenty of threads on the forum about it with lots of comments for first time users to read up on.

Hope you're not a 'reactor' and that you get a good well behaved sensor, and prepare to feel a failure when you see the peaks and troughs first time ;)
I will take more time looking through the threads. Peaks and troughs wont phase me I have been trying to get control for quite some time now so used to the ups and downs. I want to get more details of how food exercise and stress effect my levels. It would be fantastic to have one all the time but even a few months would help me gain my control.
Dont want to sound stupid but what is a reactor does it mean a person who reacts to the situation lol

Regards Senga

Senga

Its the best thing I've ever had its alot of money basically it's 100 quid a month for the sensors but wld not be without it now...husband can scan me whilst asleep as I'm having bad typos that I don't wake from so from a safety point of view it's brill.
Thankyou for your reply, it would be great to sleep without the fear of hypos at the moment I catch a few hours sleep then test several times through the night so more inclined to keep levels higher than recommended. This alone will make a big change to my life. I am not sure if they are going to let us keep the scanner and we have to buy the sensors after 14days. I was told when ordering to use vat relief and the rep will give us a free postage voucher for our first order.
Take Care
Senga

Senga

The Libre is great.

Even with just two weeks of using it you wil
Thankyou for your reply, have you any idea how long it takes for sensors to arrive as if all goes well with free trial I would like to continue without gaps in my records.
Cheers
Senga

Senga

You will want one FOREVER! Couldn't be without mine. Fabulous piece of kit.

What a fabulous opportunity - enjoy the trial!

I like to apply my sensors 36 hours before activating them - that way the tissue injured by the probe being inserted has calmed down. You'll find loads of stuff on loads of threads on this forum with lots of advice - have a good read of them all!
It finally paid off to keep pestering my db nurses though I was beginning to give up hope and was in the process of ordering kit myself. I attended an adapt course and non of the others in the group had heard of this device. It pays to be a member of this group as this is where I found out about it.
You said you like to wait 36 hours before activating sensors to allow the injured tissues to calm down, does this make a difference to your readings. This is a good example of one of the things I would like to metion to the rep.
Is it painful removing the sensor? I have watched several you tube videos but cant get the one that looked painful out of my head

Regards
Senga

Sarah Ann Hodges

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thankyou for your reply, it would be great to sleep without the fear of hypos at the moment I catch a few hours sleep then test several times through the night so more inclined to keep levels higher than recommended. This alone will make a big change to my life. I am not sure if they are going to let us keep the scanner and we have to buy the sensors after 14days. I was told when ordering to use vat relief and the rep will give us a free postage voucher for our first order.
Take Care
Senga
You will have to buy both the scanner and sensors deffinatly tick the box for tax relief though...there is a starter pack I think...make sure you order replacement sensors a good week before time out as you don't want to be waiting....you won't look back. Xxx

Senga

Thankyou Sarah
I was just wondering how long it would take for sensors to arrive. I have signed up to the website so I will order them 7 days into the trial. I will ensure I tick tax relief and use the free postage the rep is giving us for our first order.

I really appreciate all the help I am being given from members of this site as I think my family are fed up listening to me going on about it. Cant get my tongue round that word interstitial fluid lol

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You said you like to wait 36 hours before activating sensors to allow the injured tissues to calm down, does this make a difference to your readings.
To be clear, I have to say that I have none of my own evidence to support the reason for doing this, apart from all the reading I did (hundreds of pages of posts!) of threads. That was something that came up repeatedly, that readings took a while to settle own when sensors were activated immediately, and it sounded sensible to me, so that's what I did from the start, as I wanted to get the most out of my fifty quid outlay!

So as far as my own evidence-based research goes (none) I'm afraid it's inconclusive - however, all my sensors to date have been consistent from activation until expiration. Sorry to be vague, and I hope I haven't caused any confusion.

:)

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
PS Last time I ordered - a Friday morning - the site said delivery could be expected in 5-7 days. They arrived on the Monday morning. I was delighted!

Senga

To be clear, I have to say that I have none of my own evidence to support the reason for doing this, apart from all the reading I did (hundreds of pages of posts!) of threads. That was something that came up repeatedly, that readings took a while to settle own when sensors were activated immediately, and it sounded sensible to me, so that's what I did from the start, as I wanted to get the most out of my fifty quid outlay!

So as far as my own evidence-based research goes (none) I'm afraid it's inconclusive - however, all my sensors to date have been consistent from activation until expiration. Sorry to be vague, and I hope I haven't caused any confusion.

:)
Hi, no confusion I am really pleased you told me what works for you, it also sounds sensible to me. I would rather hear the views of diabetics as they have the experience of using it. I would also like my 50 quids worth lol. I will see how the first one on the trial goes as they are going to put it on all of us and maybe activate it (is it an hour) after that when I self fund I will go with my results and instinct.
Going to read forums and also get as much knowledge as possible. I was going to use finger prick for working out intake of insulin for meals and freestyle to get a pattern of my diabetes as I read the (hear goes that word again ) interstitial fluid is 15mins behind blood. I will soon be able to spell that word even though I am having difficulty pronouncing it lol
Thanks again I am so grateful for your response x

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
By reactor, I mean some people react to the adhesive, if you react it starts being itchy and more likely to come unstuck it's possible to use tape told keep it in place. Some use compeed blister plaster under the sensor or other barrier plasters/creams etc. Also watch out for door frames they have a habit of catching your arm and dislodging the sensor I've done it once! I also use compeeds too

steve_p6

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, no confusion I am really pleased you told me what works for you, it also sounds sensible to me. I would rather hear the views of diabetics as they have the experience of using it. I would also like my 50 quids worth lol. I will see how the first one on the trial goes as they are going to put it on all of us and maybe activate it (is it an hour) after that when I self fund I will go with my results and instinct.
Going to read forums and also get as much knowledge as possible. I was going to use finger prick for working out intake of insulin for meals and freestyle to get a pattern of my diabetes as I read the (hear goes that word again ) interstitial fluid is 15mins behind blood. I will soon be able to spell that word even though I am having difficulty pronouncing it lol
Thanks again I am so grateful for your response x
Have never bothered waiting, slap it on and activate, you will be up and running in 60 mins. Have a look in the Freestyle Libre group too, plenty of example graphs there too.

ps just seen this published which basically tells you everything you need to know about how to use Libre/CGM to manage your BGs. http://www.edinburghdiabetes.com/s/CGM-guide.pdf

Senga

Have never bothered waiting, slap it on and activate, you will be up and running in 60 mins. Have a look in the Freestyle Libre group too, plenty of example graphs there too.

ps just seen this published which basically tells you everything you need to know about how to use Libre/CGM to manage your BGs. http://www.edinburghdiabetes.com/s/CGM-guide.pdf
Fantastic thankyou I was checking the forums and saw info. on graphs which I did not understand so the website you gave me will be really helpful. Going to check it out just now.
So grateful x