Freestyle Libre

Sarah Ann Hodges

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thankyou Sarah
I was just wondering how long it would take for sensors to arrive. I have signed up to the website so I will order them 7 days into the trial. I will ensure I tick tax relief and use the free postage the rep is giving us for our first order.

I really appreciate all the help I am being given from members of this site as I think my family are fed up listening to me going on about it. Cant get my tongue round that word interstitial fluid lol
One other thing i forgot to say get your doctor to prescribe you the large film patches to go over the top of the sensor about 4inches by 4inches clear like a second skin really... ive lost two sensors before the two weeks were up they are too expensive to loose early...

Reactions: 2 people

Senga

By reactor, I mean some people react to the adhesive, if you react it starts being itchy and more likely to come unstuck it's possible to use tape told keep it in place. Some use compeed blister plaster under the sensor or other barrier plasters/creams etc. Also watch out for door frames they have a habit of catching your arm and dislodging the sensor I've done it once! I also use compeeds too
Got it so wrong about reactor lol I will have a look for some compeed tape just to be on the safe side and will watch out for those door frames. Will make a change from dodging supermarket trolleys as someone always catches my ankles lol.
The guy in the you tube video I watched about removig the sensor had more problems getting the sensor off.couldnt watch the whole video as turning my stomach.x

Senga

One other thing i forgot to say get your doctor to prescribe you the large film patches to go over the top of the sensor about 4inches by 4inches clear like a second skin really... ive lost two sensors before the two weeks were up they are too expensive to loose early...
I will write that down in my notes just now as the db nurses will be able to give me a letter to take to the gp for these. I will be so organised with everyones help. Didnt realise it showed arrows when levels rising or dropping till Steve gave me a website to check out x

Last edited by a moderator:

Senga

Have never bothered waiting, slap it on and activate, you will be up and running in 60 mins. Have a look in the Freestyle Libre group too, plenty of example graphs there too.

ps just seen this published which basically tells you everything you need to know about how to use Libre/CGM to manage your BGs. http://www.edinburghdiabetes.com/s/CGM-guide.pdf
Had a quick look at website so much information this will really help me I will have a better look tomorrow as I need to go to bed and digest all ino. I have received today.
Thanks Steve

Senga

Hi Everyone,
Just wanted to update you on my appointment with db nurses to see freestyle libre rep. We were given a reader and a sensor, also a voucher code for free postage on our first order. This has been a fantastic saving and lets you try before you buy. My hope is other read this and know it is possible to get a free trial but you must be persistent.

I have had it on couple of hours now and love it, first check I did was exactly same as my usual meter. Thankyou for all your help, I will probably need more till I get to grips with it.

Take care
Senga x

mIcHeLLe67

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Not had any problems with losing the sensors, seem pretty sticky even though I've caught them a few times. The guys on the helpline are REALLY helpful and will replace any faulty sensors.

saraelbanaxx

I too have just started the trial today and am pretty excited to be using this. Only downside is that I'm a student in sixth form and can't afford £100 every month. So I'm going to enjoy this free trial and hopefully it will be on the NHS soon or there could be a reduced price for students.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

Reactions: 3 people

Senga

Not had any problems with losing the sensors, seem pretty sticky even though I've caught them a few times. The guys on the helpline are REALLY helpful and will replace any faulty sensors.
This one seems pretty sticky but early days. I asked about removing it after the 14days and they said pick it away gently and rip off like a plaster. Someone had posted about using baby oil to remove so if I have a problem removig will try this x Family have enjoyed the novelty of scanning me all day. Tomorrow I will take better notes of results though the little arrows telling you if glucose is rising or dropping is fantastic. This alone has taken a lot of pressure off me x

Take Care
Senga

Last edited by a moderator:

Senga

I too have just started the trial today and am pretty excited to be using this. Only downside is that I'm a student in sixth form and can't afford £100 every month. So I'm going to enjoy this free trial and hopefully it will be on the NHS soon or there could be a reduced price for students.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app
Hi, I am glad you have also been lucky enough to get a free trial. I will also struggle to afford the strips every month, but I am hoping I can do it for a couple of months to get a clearer picture of the effects my daily life has on my levels. I was surprised at how many people at the db clinic had not heard of the freestyle as the more people that know about it the better chance we have of getting help from the NHS.
At least the free trial will give you the opportunity to see if the freestyle would benefit you in the future.

Take Care
Senga