Newly diagnosed t2

Echob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
hi
I am newly diagnosed t2 , today I have been getting chronic vertigo every time I stand up which seems to be getting worse as the day progresses. Last check of my levels was 8.2 (this is a good reading for me) before meds my levels were double figures. am on metformin mr 500mg 1 X daily due to increase dose next week . Any advice would be fab

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome,

There are loads of excellent videos on YouTube for self help with vertigo. It's just a matter of training your brain. They are easy exercises that you do sitting down. They worked for me in a matter of days. I don't think vertigo is anything to do with diabetes. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Have you got a blood glucose meter? If not I recommend you buy one. It is an essential tool in controlling this disease. It will help you understand which foods cause the problem, and help you find a suitable and sustainable diet. (diet is the key to this)

Have a good read round the forum and the main website, learn as much as you can about diabetes, what the recommended target levels are, what the various tests are and what they mean. Meanwhile, I'll tag @daisy1 who has some very useful information for newcomers.

Echob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello and welcome,

There are loads of excellent videos on YouTube for self help with vertigo. It's just a matter of training your brain. They are easy exercises that you do sitting down. They worked for me in a matter of days. I don't think vertigo is anything to do with diabetes. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Have you got a blood glucose meter? If not I recommend you buy one. It is an essential tool in controlling this disease. It will help you understand which foods cause the problem, and help you find a suitable and sustainable diet. (diet is the key to this)

Have a good read round the forum and the main website, learn as much as you can about diabetes, what the recommended target levels are, what the various tests are and what they mean. Meanwhile, I'll tag @daisy1 who has some very useful information for newcomers.
Thank you, I've had nausea for last 24 hours so maybe it's related to that, yes I have blood glucose meter, am also on anti migraine meds, statins,bp meds, anti depressants, ibs meds, hrt, asthma inhalers, am trying to cut out carbs and sugars which is difficult as love bread/pasta/sweet tea. But am determined to lose weight and get on top of the diabetes.

Reactions: 2 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Goodness, you do have some problems, and now diabetes to top it off.

You have the right idea about cutting carbs, especially bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, cereals and flour. (and of course sugar, cakes, biscuits). Have you got a Lidl near you? They sell very low carb rolls. They are the high protein ones. They look totally disgusting, triangular, dark, and stuffed with seeds, but sliced in half and toasted with lots of butter they are delicious. These may help any bread cravings. They freeze well.

I'll tag @daisy1 who will arrive with her welcome pack, which is full of very useful information. Please have a good read round and ask questions.

Echob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Goodness, you do have some problems, and now diabetes to top it off.

You have the right idea about cutting carbs, especially bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, cereals and flour. (and of course sugar, cakes, biscuits). Have you got a Lidl near you? They sell very low carb rolls. They are the high protein ones. They look totally disgusting, triangular, dark, and stuffed with seeds, but sliced in half and toasted with lots of butter they are delicious. These may help any bread cravings. They freeze well.

I'll tag @daisy1 who will arrive with her welcome pack, which is full of very useful information. Please have a good read round and ask questions.
Ooh thanks for that , I love lidl bakery but up until this was going for things like custard brioche, will definitely give those rolls a go as always got butter in the house ( young children and cake baking) just won't be able to eat them myself

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ooh thanks for that , I love lidl bakery but up until this was going for things like custard brioche, will definitely give those rolls a go as always got butter in the house ( young children and cake baking) just won't be able to eat them myself

A whole roll is about 9 or 10g carbs but they are so dense I can only manage half of one at a time, and they contain a lot of protein, fat, and fiber.

Devonbear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Plus one on the Lidl rolls. They are completely my salvation. The lovely crunch of toasted seedy brown bread. I also sometimes use them as a cake substitute. Make yourself a homemade, low carb jam substitute by puree-ing strawberries or raspberries and adding a bit of sweetener (I like Truvia best - Stevia with erythritol - excellent for diabetics). Then cut a protein roll into pieces and serve with the jam and some clotted cream for a sort of alternative cream tea. Lovely. The other good thing is that the seeds and fibre content keep your bowels ticking along nicely, which can otherwise be a problem when you start cutting out carbs. I have half a roll every morning (usually with peanut butter) and half a roll at bedtime (usually with marmite or something similar). Delicious. And only 29p each!.... Anyway, enough of the Lidl-love. Welcome to diabetes, the water is much warmer than you might think!

Reactions: 6 people

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@Echob

Hello and welcome to the forum :) Here is the information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask as many questions as you like and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEW MEMBERS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find over 150,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates

Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes-and-whole-grains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

LOW CARB PROGRAM:
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/low carb program

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to bloodglucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
Echob, a big welcome to you.

Let me start by saying even with the accumulation of problems and challenges you describe, there is lots of hope.

I am only 7 weeks post T2 diagnosis. I had double figure blood sugar, BP very high, high cholesterol, non-alcoholic fatty liver,,high triglycerides which were off the chart. In short a full spectrum Metsbolic Syndrome.

7 weeks on, all markers are resolved to non Metabolic syndrome, diabetes is in the non-diabetes range.

For me the key has been; LOW carb, high fat diet, intermittent fasting and exercise. I have not been hungry, I feel more energetic that I have for 34 years. I believe there is every prospect of you being able to probably see the same progress.

Start by flicking your psychological switch to change your lifestyle and expect results.

Check out www.dietdoctor.com. Best wishes. :)

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum mobile app

scarfmad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Let me start by saying even with the accumulation of problems and challenges you describe, there is lots of hope.

I am only 7 weeks post T2 diagnosis. I had double figure blood sugar, BP very high, high cholesterol, non-alcoholic fatty liver,,high triglycerides which were off the chart. In short a full spectrum Metsbolic Syndrome.

7 weeks on, all markers are resolved to non Metabolic syndrome, diabetes is in the non-diabetes range.

For me the key has been; LOW carb, high fat diet, intermittent fasting and exercise. I have not been hungry, I feel more energetic that I have for 34 years. I believe there is every prospect of you being able to probably see the same progress.

Start by flicking your psychological switch to change your lifestyle and expect results.

Hello,
Not sure if I should be typing this in here, I am new to the site as you can tell. I got diagnosed a week ago with type 2 and the doctor has given me Ziclaseg. Also a blood glucose monitor, have not been told anything about it... I have set time, date etc.
But in blood readings what am I looking for, I have done two tests the first read 29.8 mmol/L and the 2nd 30.0 mmol/L.
It was only when I tried a test strip and it read 7.7, I thought something is wrong.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
Scarfmad, welcome:)

In terms of your BP monitor, pick a time - such as first thing in the morning or before bed at night -

- sit upright with both feet flat on the floor

- place the band on your left arm (it's nearer your heart) above (about an inch) the fold of your elbow joint

- the pipe attached to the "cuff" should exit the cuff down the underside of your arm
With your arm resting on your leg or say a pillow to elevate it

- press the button to turn it on

- wait for your machine to show zero

- press again to start, the machine will make a noise and the cuff will tighten around your arm.

- when the machine stops you will have your reading.

- if over 50 years you are looking for 130/80

- if under 50 you are looking for 120/80

- do three readings each time and average them to see a stable reading

Hope that helps!!

In terms of your blood sugar readings, I am a little confused by the info you have presented. The first numbers 20s & 30s are very high. But then you said you tested with strips and it was low 7s., which is not worrying especially if this was after food. So what did you do in terms of testing to get the very high numbers, were these with strips also?

Best wishes. Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

Echob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

Thank you Kevin, your post gives me hope, I am trying to reduce my carbs and sugar intake, I'm a life long sweet tea and chocolate/crisps etc eater, I have lost 4lb in the past 2 weeks which hopefully will stay off as I have about 4-5 stone to lose and hope to get back to weight I was before I had children and gave up smoking which should I hope have a positive impact on my diabetes, I have a question about metformin as I am on 500mg mr once a day which I take in the evening and am due to increase to 2 tablets a day only I can't remember what the diabetic nurse said as to whether I should take them at the same time or morning and night.
Thanks
Echo

LittleG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you Kevin, your post gives me hope, I am trying to reduce my carbs and sugar intake, I'm a life long sweet tea and chocolate/crisps etc eater, I have lost 4lb in the past 2 weeks which hopefully will stay off as I have about 4-5 stone to lose and hope to get back to weight I was before I had children and gave up smoking which should I hope have a positive impact on my diabetes, I have a question about metformin as I am on 500mg mr once a day which I take in the evening and am due to increase to 2 tablets a day only I can't remember what the diabetic nurse said as to whether I should take them at the same time or morning and night.
Thanks
Echo
I started on 500mg of Metformin with breakfast for the first week then one with breakfast and one with evening meal for the second week. I am hoping with diet and exercise I can eventually knock all meds on the head.
Good luck and welcome!