weight gain

missymoo2006

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hi my diabetic nurse is going to refer me for an injection to help me as i cannot lose weight i am type 1 any body heard of this

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think your nurse may be referring to Byetta or Victoza............

this is an injection which slows the movement of food through the stomach leading to less glucose absorbed and a reduced appetite..........

think its quite successful in most cases.....

missymoo2006

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

this is an injection which slows the movement of food through the stomach leading to less glucose absorbed and a reduced appetite..........

thank you

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Yes it will probably be one of those drugs mentioned by Novorapid. Are you having a low-carb diet to try to control your weight? It is tempting when on insulin to have a 'normal' carb-heavy diet which can cause weight gain, but keeping the carbs down can avoid that. Make up with protein and fats.

Reactions: 4 people

brendan101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Victoza does 3 things, slows stomach emptying, reduces glucose loading from the liver and makes the beta cells work harder to produce insulin especially after meals. It works well for Type 2s. It is not licensed for Type 1s and is not prescribed in the UK for this reason. Obviously it cannot stimulate the beta cells in type 1 as most of us don't have any working beta cells! Clinical trials have not shown it to reduce HbA1c in Type 1s either and this is the main reason for prescribing medication to Type 1s. That said it has helped my weight hugely, reduced my insulin dose per day by 20% and minimised blood glucose spikes after eating so it's exceptionally good. That said if any Type 1 is getting it on the NHS please let us know and explain how. Missymoo2006 how are you getting it?

yycdordor

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
washing dishes lol
@Daibell so true!!!!
The hospital is refusing me because I'm not testing my bloods because I loose the feeling in my fingers xxx

Hi. Yes it will probably be one of those drugs mentioned by Novorapid. Are you having a low-carb diet to try to control your weight? It is tempting when on insulin to have a 'normal' carb-heavy diet which can cause weight gain, but keeping the carbs down can avoid that. Make up with protein and fats.

Sent from my SM-N910U using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app