Is there such a thing as drinking too much? Not alcohol but diet drinks or water.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Hi I'm just wondering if I drink too much liquids. I've been bombarded with drink plenty especially whilst taking canagliflozin (which I've now stopped due to severe side effects).
I inject insulin and my bgs are quite good but I think I'm drinking too much liquids, none alcoholic ones.
I read decades ago a young woman who dead because she had flushed out her hormones with too much water. She was consuming about 10ltrs of water a day.
I drink diet lemonade and water. On average 4ltrs a day. Is 4ltrs of liquids excessive and healthy?

Reactions: 3 people

magsiesss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who drive with fog lights on when its only a bit of mist
I have no idea whether it can do harm - but do you have enough salt in your diet?

edited to add: I have just consulted my friend Google who thinks a lot of people drink that much in order to help them lose weight ...

Reactions: 2 people

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I don't know about 'flushing out hormones', but too much water can adversely affect your salts/mineral balance.

mojo_101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
This explains it quite well
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/strange-but-true-drinking-too-much-water-can-kill/
sounds quite worrying, but Scientific American is not hello magazine, so I wouldn't bet against it.
short version, the kidneys process a certain amount per hour, but the body can go into conserve water mode (when exercising etc), and then you could drink too much. hyponatremia -> brain swelling. Drinking contests seem a major culprit. Worth a quick read anyway, and not too long.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
Probs cut back by half:) and you'll be tickertyboo:)

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes you can overdo it - but you'd need to be drinking excessive quantities and it would be making you feel ill. It's called water intoxication, or hyponatremia if you want to be tecchie, and it's a dangerous condition to be in which could be fatal. Here's another brief but informative link: http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/water-intoxication, but Google will also give you more details (both reputable and sensational).

Robbity

S

Shar67

@ickihun though 4 litres is roughly twice recommended amount, it is a very individual the amount a person needs. I drink about the same to keep liver "healthy" . If you have concern about the amount see your GP or practice nurse.

@KevinPotts, the rules of the forum states we should not give advise that may have an adverse affect on someone, unless you are medically trained it's a no no

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I aim for 1 litre per 5 stone of bodyweight (based on a bit of reading a year or two back). I consider it absurd that anyone says 'drink 2 litres of water', mainly because they are not distinguishing between a slight woman of 5'2" and a heavy man of 6'6". It is simply common sense that height, weight, salt in diet, amount of artificial sweeteners, climate, central heating, exercise, etc. is going to affect requirements

Feel much better when I hit my target, and don't believe I could drink much more if I tried.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I aim for 1 litre per 5 stone of bodyweight (based on a bit of reading a year or two back). I consider it absurd that anyone says 'drink 2 litres of water', mainly because they are not distinguishing between a slight woman of 5'2" and a heavy man of 6'6". It is simply common sense that height, weight, salt in diet, amount of artificial sweeteners, climate, central heating, exercise, etc. is going to affect requirements

Feel much better when I hit my target, and don't believe I could drink much more if I tried.

Ah that's interesting and a new one on me....so 2 ltr for my 11st 12 lbs is about right. Thanks:)

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum mobile app

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The 2 litres thing was a pure invention with no medical evidence. If your kidneys are good then 4 litres may not be harmful but certainly more than you need.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you not spend a lot of time going to the loo? I know I did when I started drinking like a fish... seemed to have cut back.
Bit about salt is important. need to balance them.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Drink water when you are thirsty, coffee, tea and wine when you fancy a cup/glass.

I have no idea how much I drink in a day. No diet drinks though, mostly plain tap water, coffee and tea.

If not thirsty I can see no reason to drink?

I had Diabetes Insipidus before I started on thyroid hormones and had to drink a lot as liquid didn't stay in my body, it just ran through me. Some extra salt helped with hydration.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The recommended advice is to sip it slowly and not to gulp it all down quickly.

This gives the kidneys chance to cope with it.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Do you not spend a lot of time going to the loo? I know I did when I started drinking like a fish... seemed to have cut back.
Bit about salt is important. need to balance them.
Dietician bangs on about reducing salt for my hypertension. So I'm very reluctant to add salt into my diet.
I'm going to reduce my liquid especially after 6pm. Sounds like I have been having too much. Thanks.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I know on my LCHF, I have to take about 4g of salt a day otherwise I get constipation (sorry:)). And with a blood pressure of 169/95 7 weeks ago, my average us now down to 122/74, so don't worry too much anout the salt if you are having lots of water.

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum mobile app

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A few of my friends actually lowered their BP by adding more salt!

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The most I have ever had in a day is 4 litres and I couldn't have managed any more. I feel best on 2-3 litres. So based on what Brunneria read, 3 litres would be right for me. :)