any type 2's on a pump?

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

I'm interested to hear feedback from any type 2's here that may already by on an insulin pump.

What is the pros and cons in your experience?

My T1 friend has been talking to me about how good it is for her and recommending I get one. But I don't know any type 2's on a pump personally. My insulin needs seem different to my T1 friend too.... she takes a lot less units than I do.

I would appreciate any feedback on your experience as I'm still weighing up pros and cons and whether or not I'd even benefit.

I should clarify I do have insulin deficiency and I've been on MDI for over 6 years now..

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi

I'm interested to hear feedback from any type 2's here that may already by on an insulin pump.

What is the pros and cons in your experience?

My T1 friend has been talking to me about how good it is for her and recommending I get one. But I don't know any type 2's on a pump personally. My insulin needs seem different to my T1 friend too.... she takes a lot less units than I do.

I would appreciate any feedback on your experience as I'm still weighing up pros and cons and whether or not I'd even benefit.

I should clarify I do have insulin deficiency and I've been on MDI for over 6 years now..

Hi Mep, but you aren't T2, are you? I always thought you were LADA since your Dr said you were Late Onset?

Beln55

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Pump
Hi I have T2 diabetes and have used an insulin pump for approx 10 years now . One of the cons would be the cost as not many hospitals will fund for T2, I was lucky because I was approached to enter a research program. I was injecting 4 insulin pens a day which had no effect on my BM's , I was becoming very poorly I was suffering with nerve damage and my liver wasn't working propally because of the medication I was on for nerve damage. I can honestly say that the insulin pump saved my life. You asked for the pros and cons o e is the cost and another is you have to be prepared to test your BMs at least 5 times a day. There is also the problem if you are a lady of where to wear your pump though there are many options I tend to pin mine in. Pair of trousers or put it in the pocket as I tend not to wear dressers these days anyway. The pros are convenience : not having to find a private place to inject. Better long term control. javing more control over your diet . Hope this helps you make a decision. I would not be without my pump.

Reactions: 3 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi I have T2 diabetes and have used an insulin pump for approx 10 years now . One of the cons would be the cost as not many hospitals will fund for T2, I was lucky because I was approached to enter a research program. I was injecting 4 insulin pens a day which had no effect on my BM's , I was becoming very poorly I was suffering with nerve damage and my liver wasn't working propally because of the medication I was on for nerve damage. I can honestly say that the insulin pump saved my life. You asked for the pros and cons o e is the cost and another is you have to be prepared to test your BMs at least 5 times a day. There is also the problem if you are a lady of where to wear your pump though there are many options I tend to pin mine in. Pair of trousers or put it in the pocket as I tend not to wear dressers these days anyway. The pros are convenience : not having to find a private place to inject. Better long term control. javing more control over your diet . Hope this helps you make a decision. I would not be without my pump.

Just an aside really. Your profile suggests you are T1. It could be helpful to change it. so that anyone replying to a question you might ask doesn't make inappropriate suggestions.

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Mep, but you aren't T2, are you? I always thought you were LADA since your Dr said you were Late Onset?

Hi, No, I'm definitely not LADA as that is an auto immune disease. I don't have auto immune. I would say I'm lADA if I was and I never have said that anywhere on this forum. My beta cell damage is from stress placed on the pancreas to produce more insulin, and probably also the fact I've always had insulin resistance. My endo explained I'm still type 2 and I've just progressed in that I now am dealing with insulin deficiency and have to be on insulin. I did have the diagnostic tests redone of course back in 2010 and was placed on insulin Feb 2010.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin

Thank you :)

Yes, one of the cons I figured was the cost and ability to access the products needed may be a problem for me too. They seem to be directed at T1's and no other type also in the marketing of them. I see here some T1's already complaining about the cost of products they need. They're changing how to access products for all diabetics here from July too making it more difficult.

That's what I figure about one the pros too is that I may be able to get better control all round.

I'm glad to hear you think it is a good thing to have and has really helped.

phil169

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
hi yes I am type 2 and on a pump.
its the beast thing I have done, all though it was a tough fight with the CCG to get it funded,
pros: better control, less insulin, more freedom, better Hb1c, cons: testing up to 6-7 times a day, changing the set ( I think its painfull as I have a lot of hears lol wimp), getting the CCG on your side. but as for anything els its given me my life back would I give it up?? not for all the tea in china. there is a lot of info on this site an on the web about type 2's and insulin pumps, NICE are to revue there guidelines on insulin pumps and type 2's later this year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
hi yes I am type 2 and on a pump.
its the beast thing I have done, all though it was a tough fight with the CCG to get it funded,
pros: better control, less insulin, more freedom, better Hb1c, cons: testing up to 6-7 times a day, changing the set ( I think its painfull as I have a lot of hears lol wimp), getting the CCG on your side. but as for anything els its given me my life back would I give it up?? not for all the tea in china. there is a lot of info on this site an on the web about type 2's and insulin pumps, NICE are to revue there guidelines on insulin pumps and type 2's later this year.

thanks for that :) I'm not sure what CCG is? Is that some organisation where you live? I probably would have a tough time too trying to get one if I wanted to.

Minnie45

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Some of my T2 friends in the US are on pumps and finding it extremely beneficial, Phil here is a rarity in the UK but it just goes to show that despite diabetes type, the pump can and does work for us, I just wish it was available to more people

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
thanks for that :) I'm not sure what CCG is? Is that some organisation where you live? I probably would have a tough time too trying to get one if I wanted to.

It's a Clinical Commissioning Group in England, they make the healthcare funding decisions for the local area. Any diabetic (type 1 or type 2) wanting a pump in England will need their CCG to agree to fund it.

Reactions: 2 people

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
It's a Clinical Commissioning Group in England, they make the healthcare funding decisions for the local area. Any diabetic (type 1 or type 2) wanting a pump in England will need their CCG to agree to fund it.

I think here we have to pay ourselves to get a pump. I'm not sure we can get any rebate for it even.

My T1 friend said she had to pay $7000 for her last one she got. She mentioned the products to run it are expensive as well. This poses a problem for me because I'm on reduced income now because of my health. I'm not allowed to work full time anymore. If the funding to get one and the cost of running a pump is a lot more than MDI that's going to be a big contributing factor for me. I already have high costs for my health as it is. :(