Is this an expected pattern? Newly diagnosed and confused...

TabbyL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm very new - got an accu-chek mobile tester yesterday in order to try to get my T2 under control.

Diagnosis levels were high H1a 91 and fbg 16.5. I am taking 500mg Metformin daily (to rise to 1500mg in three weeks)

Today's results are confusing me:

Fbg on waking: 15.8

2 hrs after breakfast (2 boiled eggs): 13.3

Before lunch: 12.2
2 hours after lunch (chicken & veg) and after a short walk: 10.8

I wasn't expecting my pre eating levels to be higher than my post eating levels. Or is it because I'm now addressing the problem and everything is coming down overall?

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I'm very new - got an accu-chek mobile tester yesterday in order to try to get my T2 under control.

Diagnosis levels were high H1a 91 and fbg 16.5. I am taking 500mg Metformin daily (to rise to 1500mg in three weeks)

Today's results are confusing me:

Fbg on waking: 15.8

2 hrs after breakfast (2 boiled eggs): 13.3

Before lunch: 12.2
2 hours after lunch (chicken & veg) and after a short walk: 10.8

I wasn't expecting my pre eating levels to be higher than my post eating levels. Or is it because I'm now addressing the problem and everything is coming down overall?

Hi tabby,
Yes we do see this sort of thing often.
I answered a similar question yesterday!

Ok, so, what I would advise, is not to take your fasting blood glucose levels first thing, wait till just before breakfast, then test and two hours after.
If your two hour reading is more than 2mmols higher than your pre meal reading then something you have had is causing your bloods too high and if you know what it is, either don't eat or lower the amount you eat of it!
Do this with most of your meals, this will give you an idea of what you can tolerate and what needs to go.
The reason for not testing first thing is because of dawn phenomenon, which is your liver naturally giving you a boost as you get up. So it is a meaningless test to find out what foods you can tolerate, because T2 is mostly about food as long as you are able to produce insulin.
You will probably still test your fasting, because you are no doubt curious about it. But don't worry, once you start low carbing and your bloods start coming down, your fasting bloods will also come down.
Do you keep a food diary, please do, because you will be able to see patterns and you can judge if you are getting better or worse during the months ahead.
By low carbing, your insulin resistance should improve and that will help with weight loss if you need to and more importantly your blood glucose levels.

Hope this helps.

Catlady19

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's not unusual. I start higher and come down through the day.

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It will get easer, I do the LCHF way of eating and hardly notice my diabetes now !!!
At the start of my journey I was very involved with number and food checking .. worth every moment, every note and every finger test .. as I said .. It Will Get Easer :angelic:

Redsnapper

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done you! You are on the right track with testing and low carbing I promise you.Great advice already given.Test and keep a food diary and you won't go far wrong.Any more questions just ask and someone will be along to help, no question is a silly question.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I sometimes get higher levels immediately before my meals than 2 hours after, but if I do a mid meal test at one hour, I may see a rise then. Usually my post meal level is lower than the pre meal one when the pre meal one is higher than usual.

I'd suggest that you don't take too much notice of individual readings, except maybe when they are very high at the 2 hour point after eating, but keep a record (you should be able to record results on your meter) and watch these for developing trends and patterns which will tell you a lot more about what's going on and how you're doing.

Your fasting levels will eventually come down after the meal time ones have dons so. You don't have very much control over these - you liver tends to dictate them - and this is normal, but you can learn to manage and reduce your mealtime ones.

Robbity

TabbyL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you all for your advice - I am keeping a food diary and will keep looking out for patterns. I will get this under control!

Reactions: 4 people

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
I wish you well in your journey. You need to test and let that educate you. Some people use a low carb diet while others can achieve good control of their blood sugars by different dietary means It all depends on what works for you.

Take care

Doug