How long?

gavel

Hi,

I went to the doctors today as I have had a constant headache for 2 weeks along with constant dry mouth/thirst, increase in liquid intake (and therefore expulsion!) and a bit of blurred vision. I am going to have a fasting blood test tomorrow morning and I was wondering how long it would normally take from this point to having a diagnosis one way or another?

I hadn't really thought of diabetes as a possibility until this morning and must admit it has freaked me out a bit.

Cheers for any replies!

Romola

Depending on the result, they may decide that it plus your symptoms are enough to diagnose diabetes.

But they should really send you for a glucose tolerance test. This involves another fasting blood test, followed by a drink containing a measured amount of glucose. Another blood test is taken 2 hours later. The bg levels in each test are compared. This is the gold standard test - and you should contact your GP asap to get the result.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Romola's right
they often do miss out the Oral Glucose Tolerance test. Loads of us never had one.
good luck
Hana

whatashock

I was diagnosed from my urine and finger prick test, as my level was 13 on fasting.

I had an hba1c done, and the result was back in 48 hours.

have not had a glucose test, and it has never been mentioend.

gavel

Hi,

Thanks for your replies. Had the test on Friday, they seemed to take a hell of a lot of blood, 5 different tubes of the stuff! Have been told I can phone for the results in the middle of next week, so just the anxious few days til Wednesday now.

Thanks again.