new dignosis and high sugar levels

theblokefromstoke

Dislikes
Pizza (makes my BG go through the roof), Pasta & potatoes.
Hi all,

I was diagnosed a week ago and sent to hospital with a sugar BG level of 21. I was given Metformin and now taking 3 tablets per day but levels are constantly around 15.

I am worried this is high and isn't dropping despite the tablets but the doctor says it will settle down.

I am worried that I may actually have type 1 and need insulin but its all just so much to take in. I have been feeling really down in the dumps about it all today. I feel tired all the time

Apparently I also have keytones.

Has anyody had similar experiences and give me any words of comfort or some quextions i should be asking the doctor.

Any help appreciated thanks
Carl

mullaneder

Dislikes
bullies, bad drivers ,recession,
hi carl. your story sounds very like mine (except for the hospital part).my sugar levels took a few weeks to settle down,but they did,i felt exactly the same but i found this forum very helpful.write down any questions down before you see your doctor.i found i forgot half of them.i got better answers here anyway.have a good look around the forum and any questions fire away

dermot

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hi,
if you have cut down on sugar/starches and u have the ketones i would be very vigilant, if u feel bad and have ketones i would get in touch with your health care provider as i was thought to be type 2 as i was youngish and overweight but i turned out to be type 1 and quite ill in hospital,
i would phone 4 advise

iddt01

Hi Carl

Let me clarify something for you straight away, if you have been prescribed metformin then your doctor is assuming you are type 2. Some people with type 2 do take insulin but this usually only happens several years after diagnosis and even then they are still type 2 but classed as people with type 2 using insulin.

Things will settle down but make the best use of your health professionals that you can.

iddt01

theblokefromstoke

Dislikes
Pizza (makes my BG go through the roof), Pasta & potatoes.
Hi guys,

Thanks for advice. Things a lot better today, 6.7 this morning - i was over the moon. Hopefully i am starting to 'settle down'

Cheers

Carl

Sweet enough

theblokefromstoke said:
Hi all,

I was diagnosed a week ago and sent to hospital with a sugar BG level of 21. I was given Metformin and now taking 3 tablets per day but levels are constantly around 15.

I am worried this is high and isn't dropping despite the tablets but the doctor says it will settle down.

I am worried that I may actually have type 1 and need insulin but its all just so much to take in. I have been feeling really down in the dumps about it all today. I feel tired all the time

Apparently I also have keytones.

Has anyody had similar experiences and give me any words of comfort or some quextions i should be asking the doctor.

Any help appreciated thanks
Carl
Hi Carl.
I was given 3 Metformin when I was diagnosed last Oct. It took about 2 months to see an effect from the Metformin. My Hba's fell from 7.8 to 6.1 which gave me a big boost, and put my mind at rest that the tabs were working, so maybe relax a little until you get the results of your first Hba1c. Metformin wont lower your BLG by a large amount- I think its 2 or 3 points if you react well to it. I was very sedentry and quite a bit overweight. I have lost nearly 2 stone just by not eating foods that seemed to raise my BGL and did a bit of gentle exercise. I still cant get my morning bloods anywhere below 8 though.

I'd aslo suggest you speak to your Diabetic nurse or Dr and let them know.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Hi Carl
As others and your doctor have said, It can take a while for the Metformin to reach is maximum efficiency, however, Even at maximum dose, it can't bring your Bgs down much more than about 2 mmol/l
Getting the BG right is a balance of diet, activity and medicine and when you've learned more, you will have to find your own best way. Each of us has to fit control to our own way of life and our own personality.
However, many of us have found that if we control the carbohydrates we take in, we get tighter control of Bgs.
If you don't know what a carbohydrate is,( not being patronising here, loads of people don't :) ) look in my "sticky" on the topic, but basically they are found, in large quantities,in "white stuff"
i.e. Flour and all baked goods, sugar, potatoes, rice,pasta, bread .in other words, sugars and starches.
Table sugar turns 50% into blood glucose, starch is 100%.
Cutting back hard on these foods will drop your BG~ FAST.
As to levels. A non-diabetic keeps at about 5 pretty nearly all the time, but the medical advice is>> 4 - 7 before meals and up to 8.5, 2 hours after commencing eating, for adults with T2 diabetes.<<
Cauliflower is the only non high carb white food I can think of.
If you think this approach would suit you, you need a reference book on food values. The Collins Little Gem Calorie Counter, is tiny and inexpensive and easy to carry around. It's got lots of numbers in, but isn't the latest thing in accuracy. "The Calorie, Carb and Fat Bible Is updated annually, but won't fit in my handbag.
That's probably put you into information overlaod already, but if you want any specific information, just ask, otherwise browse the forum.
hana

Happybunny

Good morning to one and all..well!!!! I am a newcomer to this forum who is in denial, very angry and going round in ever decreasing circles, not a very good start to a new month is it!
I have managed to control my diabetes to date with dieting, or so I thought...last week out of the blue I was informed that insulin was the next step for me.....I now realise that diabetic food is a totally new ball game, this I was not made aware of.......so, in just a few minutes I have gleaned from reading Hanas' posting that all the foods I was dieting on are taboo, looks like I am on a long learning curve now which can only be good.
I have another month to go on Glicazide tablets but so far these pills have had no effect, no wonder with me eating the wrong foods eh!...am away to read through as many topics as I can in the hope of gleaning much information, my pancreas may have run out of petrol but I am still in the driving seat...thanks folks for listening......

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
Happybunny said:
I am a newcomer to this forum who is in denial, very angry and going round in ever decreasing circles, not a very good start to a new month is it!

Sounds like you're not a happy bunny.

Sorry, couldn't resist that corny joke. :oops:

Welcome to the forum. :D