high morning levels

Shaul Dror

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wish we could get that in Canada. All I've been able to find is a few news articles about the Abbott Freestyle Libre. Health Canada won't even say if they are testing it yet. Is someone willing to ship one to me you can just bill Health Canada. I'm sure they wont' mind paying :)
If you go into the Freesyle Libre and its capabilities you will discover that it is really designed more for Type 1's rather than Type 2's. And remember it also includes a blood glucose meter because you cannot rely on it entirely and still need to prick yourself if in doubt.
Its nevertheless a great machine but you need to be able to afford the consumables that need to be replaced every 2 weeks. The tear on year costs are large. Also you still have a sensor that needs to go through your skin....Could lead to infection and irritation.
As a T2 you could be better off with something like the GlucoTrack which is truly non invasive and by far less costly.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
this morning is a prime example of my frustrations

5:00am 5.6
nothing eaten and only water taken

8:30am 9.2

I think "go figure" is the horrible phrase I should use
This happens to me.
If left, my big continues to rise all morning, until it drops, suddenly. I used to hypo at that point, but now that I am very low carb, I just drop too low, but not hypo low.

Did some investigation eating and testing experiments a couple of years ago and found a way to stop the rise - just eat something. Anything. Can b as small as a baby bel or Brazil nut. Stops it dead.

Then about 6 months ago, I switched to just coffee cream for breakfast (protein and carbs spike me in the mornings. And the coffee works fantastically. Actually it will be the cream not the coffee.

Nowadays I have coff n cream as breeakfast and that keeps big nice a low and steady all morning, then lunch and dinner. It is kind of Fung's intermittent fasting, plus cream, :)

Hope that helps, but YMMV

Reactions: 2 people

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
I'll try that Brunneria (coffee with the cream), as the morning rise is the one thing I'm struggling to stabilise. Thanks for the advice.

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum mobile app

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
@KevinPotts coffee and cream will steady your morning bgs and stop a hypo.
But as you've pointed out supper is the clincher for beating liver dump.
In fact that's what coffee and cream is doing too. The liver is relaxed due to the cream. You can get a liver dump in fasting. At anytime you fast. The liver thinks your starving so does to work to save your life.
Hence the increased bg with no breakfast/fast.
I'm unsure if fatty liver is due to carbs or being too relaxed too much or fruit.
Someone might know more than me on that one but lchf got rid of my fatty liver. I didn't fast at all.
I use my liver's ability to steady my bgs but I'm now wondering if not allowing it to dump can cause a different problem?
I guess occasionally coming out of ketosis might solve that?

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
@KevinPotts coffee and cream will steady your morning bgs and stop a hypo.
But as you've pointed out supper is the clincher for beating liver dump.
In fact that's what coffee and cream is doing too. The liver is relaxed due to the cream. You can get a liver dump in fasting. At anytime you fast. The liver thinks your starving so does to work to save your life.
Hence the increased bg with no breakfast/fast.
I'm unsure if fatty liver is due to carbs or being too relaxed too much or fruit.
Someone might know more than me on that one but lchf got rid of my fatty liver. I didn't fast at all.
I use my liver's ability to steady my bgs but I'm now wondering if not allowing it to dump can cause a different problem?
I guess occasionally coming out of ketosis might solve that?

Interesting! I've defo seen improvement from the combination of apple cider vinegar and a small cube of cheese, so I'll typically be hitting 4.8-5.1 when I wake at 6am, but if I don't eat straight away it then climbs for a few more hours. Often I don't feel hungry and have no desire for brekkie, other than my Good Green Stuff, so that coffee and cream might just complete the circle for me. Thanks for the contribution. Kevin

DominicLaiYew

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Too many to list
Hello all,
I have the same problem of elevated fasting BG levels. After battling with many try's & errors over my 120 days, reading many useful articles & took in some suggestions from this forum;
I have now come to this conclusion in order to put myself in a better frame of mind to start my day if my fasting levels are above 7 mmol/L. ( mine are constantly about 6-7)

Skip breakfast! & just have a large coffee.( with sugar & whole milk)
after about 2-3 hours, my BG drops about 2 points.
Then i have a moderate lunch with carbs, protien, vegs & and dessert.

Please enlighten me if FASTING levels such a big deal? ( i know it sets you up for carbs-control the rest of the day)

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Hello all,
I have the same problem of elevated fasting BG levels. After battling with many try's & errors over my 120 days, reading many useful articles & took in some suggestions from this forum;
I have now come to this conclusion in order to put myself in a better frame of mind to start my day if my fasting levels are above 7 mmol/L. ( mine are constantly about 6-7)

Skip breakfast! & just have a large coffee.( with sugar & whole milk)
after about 2-3 hours, my BG drops about 2 points.
Then i have a moderate lunch with carbs, protien, vegs & and dessert.

Please enlighten me if FASTING levels such a big deal? ( i know it sets you up for carbs-control the rest of the day)
Caffeine has been known to affect bgs.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I certainly know that on the day I fast each week, my following morning FBG is usually around 4.1. Gradually nudges up to about 5.5 max by the day before my next fast so only 1.5 increase, but it defo makes me feel good.

numan43

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
a wee update after seeing a new endocrinologist, he insists that I ignore morning readings as they can be due to a number of uncontrollable issues, "as long as your hba1c is on target you're doing great" Still not happy with this but who knows maybe he's right.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
a wee update after seeing a new endocrinologist, he insists that I ignore morning readings as they can be due to a number of uncontrollable issues, "as long as your hba1c is on target you're doing great" Still not happy with this but who knows maybe he's right.

Numan, I would urge you to just take a quick peep at your stats in your signature. You've made a fabulous difference to your health; especially bearing in mind you had a stroke in the middle of it all!

Try just going with the flow on the fasting numbers for a while, although I would continue to record them to ensure the trends weren't upward, but provided they stay as they are, you are outside both diabetic and pre-diabetic ranges.

I think there comes a point when we have reached our natural range. I think (hope!) I'm in mine, and maybe your body just runs pretty well as it is now. Surely it's better to have levels, in very safe zones, where you can live a decent life, rather than put yourself through purgatory to trim the tiniest margin off your scores, to go deeper into that safe territory?

Give yourself a break!

That's not a telling off. That's trying to help you recognise how well you've done. :)

Reactions: 4 people

numan43

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Numan, I would urge you to just take a quick peep at your stats in your signature. You've made a fabulous difference to your health; especially bearing in mind you had a stroke in the middle of it all!

Try just going with the flow on the fasting numbers for a while, although I would continue to record them to ensure the trends weren't upward, but provided they stay as they are, you are outside both diabetic and pre-diabetic ranges.

I think there comes a point when we have reached our natural range. I think (hope!) I'm in mine, and maybe your body just runs pretty well as it is now. Surely it's better to have levels, in very safe zones, where you can live a decent life, rather than put yourself through purgatory to trim the tiniest margin off your scores, to go deeper into that safe territory?

Give yourself a break!

That's not a telling off. That's trying to help you recognise how well you've done. :)
Thank you for your great words of support, they really are appreciated. You're right of course, I really need to chill and stop trying to be perfect.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
@numan I have loads of weight to lose so I'm finding only if my bgs are low numbers is my weight coming down. Obviously that is in low carb territory of 20-100g carb. I guess combined it helps me.
What is your aim in trying to keep your fbgs low? If you have good reason who can argue. It's what's important for your health. What is your endocrologist aim for you?

numan43

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@numan I have loads of weight to lose so I'm finding only if my bgs are low numbers is my weight coming down. Obviously that is in low carb territory of 20-100g carb. I guess combined it helps me.
What is your aim in trying to keep your fbgs low? If you have good reason who can argue. It's what's important for your health. What is your endocrologist aim for you?
my aim is to keep my levels as low as needs be to stop/delay anymore complications long term and to help ease the neuropathy I have at the moment.

Reactions: 3 people

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Positively or negatively? I drink quite a lot of (black) coffee, it's what gets me through the day!
Negatively. It raises your blood pressure hence circulation, hence stress on the system, hence higher bgs. Apparently.
When I had a stressful job in central London I lived off coffee and redbull. Sugar free of course! But I was a lot younger then. :)

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Positively or negatively? I drink quite a lot of (black) coffee, it's what gets me through the day!

Wow I got a shock last night. I've been on LCHF for exactly 7 weeks now and during that time
haven't drunk much in the evening and certainly no caffeine.

So last night I felt thirsty and had a full caf coffee and I have not slept a wink all
night:)

Weird as before my diag on 13/4 I often had caf at night and slept like a baby.

I guess it's all linked to renewed sensitivity as a result of adaptation.

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

TooManyCrisps

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow I got a shock last night. I've been on LCHF for exactly 7 weeks now and during that time
haven't drunk much in the evening and certainly no caffeine.

So last night I felt thirsty and had a full caf coffee and I have not slept a wink all
night:)

Weird as before my diag on 13/4 I often had caf at night and slept like a baby.

I guess it's all linked to renewed sensitivity as a result of adaptation.

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

I drink a cup of black coffee before I go to bed and sleep like a baby! I think my body is used to it. I have to say I slept much better since I started lchf eating. I don't wake up for the loo in the night like I used to!

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I drink a cup of black coffee before I go to bed and sleep like a baby! I think my body is used to it. I have to say I slept much better since I started lchf eating. I don't wake up for the loo in the night like I used to!

That's great! I do wonder about that aspect with me. I'm always awake and up by 5am...maybe again it was always meant to be like that for me:)

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
KevinPotts post: 1168268 said:
That's great! I do wonder about that aspect with me. I'm always awake and up by 5am...maybe again it was always meant to be like that for me:)

The stimulant is addictive as it gives you a high burst of energy but has to come down. Some articles deem it more addictive than sugar and cocaine.
Ive been decaf for as long as ive been planning pregnancies and being pregnant. No caffeine nor alcohol passed my lips. I have a drink at big functions but still no caffeine.
I love coffee but I avoid full caffeine versions. I get addicted and i end up needing the caffeine to get through the day.