Low carb diet

Concordjan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not very good on computers!
Does a low carb diet work for someone who is not particularly overweight? I was diagnosed type 2 9 years ago and put straight on medication. Was told then it wasn't fault of diet. BMI was 21 and still is. Would a really low carb diet help me? I don't really want to loose much weight.

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, it's not necessarily a weight loss diet, but it is intended as a glucose reducing one. I've both lost weight and maintained weight on it. You can manage your weight by eating more or less fats and possibly also protein. There are low carb nutritional calculators such as this one: http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/DietMakeupCalc.php, which will help you work out your proportions of carbs/proteins/fats.

Robbity

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Does a low carb diet work for someone who is not particularly overweight? I was diagnosed type 2 9 years ago and put straight on medication. Was told then it wasn't fault of diet. BMI was 21 and still is. Would a really low carb diet help me? I don't really want to loose much weight.

Many, many people fine reducing their carbs is pivotal to achieving decent blood scores, with minimal medical intervention. Similarly, many people find, at the outset that they lose weight; some lose significantly, when the adopt this approach.

When a person is either reaching their goal weight, or indeed isn't looking to actively lose weight, they have to replace the carbs with something, which is usually fat/ I don't necessarily mean eating butter with a spoon ot drinking cream by the glass, but using full fat versions of milk, yoghurt and so on, and using often cream in creamy sauces, or soups, to ensure there is no calorific deficit.

When first diagnosed, I adopted a lower carb diet, only looking to reduce my bloods, but I did trim up quite a bt along the way. My weight has been stable for about 2 years now, and I still eat reduced carb.

The way of eating suits me well, and I have enjoyable meals, and only very, very rarely snack. I would say I never snack, but I did have a crispy, spicy cauliflower thing yesterday afternoon (delicious!) as I was a bit peckish and had a few florets left over in the fridge.

It's definitely worth giving a whirl, but you will need too monitor your blood scores fairly closely to ensure you don't go too low. That comment is based on your taking Gliclazide. Many folks find after a while, of this way f eating, they need to trim their medication back, or come off it. That wouldn't be so bad?

Reactions: 2 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I have also lost weight and then maintained my weight on a low carb diet. As said above, it is a matter of replacing the eliminated carbs with something else, normally fats and thereby some extra protein (many non-carb foods have both). I have maintained my trim weight now for 18 months or so. It wasn't easy to stop losing. It was trial and error, but once I found the right balance it worked for me. I only eat up to 30g carbs a day, but I do eat full fat dairy, plenty of salmon (tinned), often 3 eggs a day, and meat every day.

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Low Carb is not necessarily a weight loss diet, as its primary purpose is to gain control of your BG.

I think if you are overweight as I was when I started eating low carb it will have an immediate positive affect on your weight, and the "shock" of not having the Carbs and Glucose from them probably gives you a kick start to lose weight.

I have found that my weight has settled over the last 3 to 4 months, and I am probably at my ideal weight for my build and age, but I am still eating in the same way I did when I lost the 4 stone.

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. A low carb diet should not continue to cause weight loss as long as you have enough fats and protein. What can cause continued weight loss is being a LADA and not a T2 so do discuss this possibility with the GP if weight loss continues.

Concordjan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thank you for all the replies. I will definitely look into a low carb diet as my meds have steadily gone up and up. Doctor and nurse have never mentioned it!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for all the replies. I will definitely look into a low carb diet as my meds have steadily gone up and up. Doctor and nurse have never mentioned it!

..... and don't expect them to! They will follow the outdated NHS advice to eat carbs with every meal and low fat. This advice hasn't worked for diabetics but the establishment is slow to change. :(

Concordjan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Never even heard of lada or type 1. 5 have just looked it up and could apply as am now on max tablets and next step insulin.

Concordjan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Never even heard of lada or type 1. 5 have just looked it up and could apply as am now on max tablets and next step insulin. Been less than 9 years diagnosed, never been overweight. Will possibly try low carb and see if it has any impact.

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
I have also lost weight and then maintained my weight on a low carb diet. As said above, it is a matter of replacing the eliminated carbs with something else, normally fats and thereby some extra protein (many non-carb foods have both). I have maintained my trim weight now for 18 months or so. It wasn't easy to stop losing. It was trial and error, but once I found the right balance it worked for me. I only eat up to 30g carbs a day, but I do eat full fat dairy, plenty of salmon (tinned), often 3 eggs a day, and meat every day.

I too have managed to maintain my weight (didn't need to lose any) and btw @Bluetit1802 I love tinned salmon mashed up with mayo :)

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been in insulin for 2 years now. I am 52. LADA can be slow onset type 1. I had to reduce all meals and bs went up. Finally lost too much weight and starring eating loads more. BS was sky high and I was severely under weight.
Getting a c peptide and GAD test is highly recommended.