Diabetic Girl.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
50 years a diabetic and everyone forgets I'm diabetic, even my own mother. Or maybe it's just her age!

So, I only have 49 years and 10 months to go, em.....that will make me 103 when that happens....ah well it's good to ha well it's good to have something to look forward to :)!

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum mobile app

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
50 years a diabetic and everyone forgets I'm diabetic, even my own mother. Or maybe it's just her age!
that statement is testament to how well you look after yourself
big smiles hugs and well done from me :):):)

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

SNAP! (But 40 years.) Though, my mum has been diagnosed with memory issues these days..
Nobody in my friend circle ever labelled me a D.

Reactions: 2 people

Midzbike

I asked my friends to describe me using only one word. They all said Diabetic, apart from one who said Robot pointing to my insulin pump... I don't understand why people label someone over an illness. Would say jealousy, but who would want a love/hate relationship with needles?!

Sent from my iPod touch using DCUK Forum mobile app
I don't know whether you can remember Monty Python's "Life of Brian", but Google You-Tube for "Always look on the Bright Side of Life"!
In some respects, the trouble with our "trouble" is that people don't see it in the way they see a broken leg's plaster cast, which they can sign to hide their discomfort. I refer to my pump as my turbocharger, because it lightens the situation & shows I'd rather have people laugh with me than cry with me.
As the saying goes "chin up!" (...but be careful; it makes it much easier to hit!!
Take care & keep smiling; it'll make them wonder what you've been doing!

Midzbike

reckon 50yrs is long enough If I wait any longer no point in bothering as from what i have read life expectancy is 67
Remember that statistics is another word for "guess". Go back a while & life was about 2-years from diagnosis, if you were lucky. Now the stat's have to take in those who don't pay attention to staying healthy (the same way as they have to for everyone), so just make a point of proving that you're "above average" & oblige the National Audit Office to rewrite the books (...which they only do every 10-years or so (last time 2010))
Take a walk & appreciate the scenery & fresh air; it's free & doesn't need anyone telling you their opinion of something you know more about!

ChrisSamsDad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
UKIP, royalty, football, gin, goat's cheese.
Strictly speaking, everyone with false teeth, spectacles or riding a bike is a cyborg - that's me all ways most days.

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There've been debates on this forum about whether people object to being called diabetic, or would rather be referred to as 'having diabetes'. I'm firmly in the latter camp, largely because of this kind of labelling. I have diabetes, in the same way that I have brown hair, blue eyes or whatever. When I'm referred to as 'diabetic' or 'a diabetic' it feels as if that's my main defining feature. It isn't.

yingtong

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who.kock diabetes
Rember.that only to wellLibby

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Strictly speaking, everyone with false teeth, spectacles or riding a bike is a cyborg - that's me all ways most days.

Lol, if you put it like that. Anyone Googling the answers is one step from the "Borg collective" too..