Warning: Chocolate Cake Horror

magjanereer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh dear Forum Friends - I have to tell you my horror tale from yesterday evening:

Had a busy day and was feeling particularly tired. Got home to teenage daughter making a huge chocolate cake! :wideyed: Consequently couldn't starting making dinner, so after a cup of tea decided to take the dog for a long walk. By the time I came back I was naturally even more tired and starving hungry. Went to make some scrambled eggs and discovered daughter had left big chunks of chocolate cake on a plate where she had sliced the top off the cake - you guessed it, I couldn't resist, I was too hungry and tired! However, I couldn't stop at just one little piece, it was soooo nice, I ended up shoving loads in and came back for more after I had eaten my eggs! :sour: Consequently I was WIDE awake at 4:30 this morning tossing and turning and dying of thirst and I am very grumpy this morning! :dead::shifty:

So the moral of the story is..... suggestions below please!
ignore cake lolxxx I have succumbed myself ///bloody annoying

Reactions: 2 people

RYU

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
having to take medication
moral of the story is 'buy a teasmaid and set it to make you a cup of tea at 4:30 am that way when you wake up there's a cup of tea waiting for you..Chocolate cake is to yummy not to eat'

Reactions: 4 people

LinsT

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I reckon the moral of the story is that the ability to ignore cake doesn't exist

Diamum5972

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Prejudiced people (my son has learning difficulties) and not being able to find a job
I agree with this - it's my chocoholic brother's birthday on Monday and he's asked if I can make him a chocolate fudge cake! Temptation, temptation ...

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I cannot tell you how reassuring it is to hear someone describe an experience of a 'sod it' moment as I too, indulge in these moments! As the first responder says, it's not an every day occurrence and we are human!!

Reactions: 5 people
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Moving at all on days when I feel doggone tired out
Oh dear Forum Friends - I have to tell you my horror tale from yesterday evening:

Had a busy day and was feeling particularly tired. Got home to teenage daughter making a huge chocolate cake! :wideyed: Consequently couldn't starting making dinner, so after a cup of tea decided to take the dog for a long walk. By the time I came back I was naturally even more tired and starving hungry. Went to make some scrambled eggs and discovered daughter had left big chunks of chocolate cake on a plate where she had sliced the top off the cake - you guessed it, I couldn't resist, I was too hungry and tired! However, I couldn't stop at just one little piece, it was soooo nice, I ended up shoving loads in and came back for more after I had eaten my eggs! :sour: Consequently I was WIDE awake at 4:30 this morning tossing and turning and dying of thirst and I am very grumpy this morning! :dead::shifty:

Oh, dear! I would have done that too. But while I don't recommend making this mistake too frequently, couldn't you have been a bit kind to yourself, and bunged in a few extra units of NovoRapid? Or aren't you on insulin yet? I find that knowing I can do this if pushed to the limit actually helps me not to want to do it too often.

I hope you are feeling fine by now, but please don't beat yourself up. There is always another day to 'be good'... and no, I don't think we should blame your daughter. I have three lovely girls, and I always said that it was not their fault that I have diabetes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Moving at all on days when I feel doggone tired out
No, only Metformin.
She made me a big chocolate cake with chocolate buttons soon after this and obviously it would have been rude not to have a slice! ;)
I notice you only began this battle in September 2014. I was diagnosed in March 2004, and the fight goes on. But I think it does take those around you a bit of time to realise they shouldn't present you with too many sweet treats. Your good little cook will begin to find other treats for you that are not quite so damaging once she really gets used to how you are. I wish you good health always, and victory in your struggles most of the time!

mrsmusic

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I feel a bit better now, as I'm just back home from a family funeral and the usually excellent diet went a bit haywire...some sweet stuff, cheese and crisps. Struggle at family occasions and with stress on top of it. Was very disappointed in myself, but home now and back in my own kitchen, so hopefully will be fine now. Blood sugar down from 20 to 6 in 5 months..yay.

Apricot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Please do encourage the youngster to bake. Its skills for a life time.

However....slice the cake...and wrap a slice in cling film....and freeze it. Then you only get out of the freezer...a piece...and dont have the whole cake waving at you from the fridge....

Apricot the virtuous (and tells fibs!)

simplysweet

Let us teach our children to COOK before they learn to BAKE then your daughter would have had a healthy dinner on the table.

EvaVic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I find if I deny myself the treat whatever it is to take then as I'll binge later on instead. Better to have one little piece than a whole load of rubbish later

LaurenMoffitt

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
013d184f9e29890be63dc043dcd98cda.jpg
low sugar chocolate orange birthday cake.

Sent from my XT1032 using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

MikePea

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Garlic
I too would have transgressed, but if you eat the cake you take the punishment. Isn't life unfair.? But you still enjoyed the cake. Yes ?

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
Let us teach our children to COOK before they learn to BAKE then your daughter would have had a healthy dinner on the table.

That's a bit condescending isn't it? Just because she's baked a cake, it doesn't mean she doesn't know how to cook anything else!

AlanCSmith

Type of diabetes
Type 2
..... and the moral is. .... keep daughter out of the kitchen. My downfall was last week. I opened the fridge door and there it was in red wrapper and gold foil, sitting there, tempting me like little mind, that giant bar of Cadburys Bournville.Couldn't resist .... those four little blocks upset my levels or the rest of the day. So creamy, so melt in the mouth ..... Mmmmmm

Fran6

Type of diabetes
Type 1
If you like chocolate cake try this one. Your blood sugar levels won't move much, consider nutrition infos. It's better coming out of the fridge. Beware of calories and cholesterol but once in a while is ok. Enjoy!

LOW CARB CHOCOLATE HEAVEN CAKE - WHEAT, SUGAR AND GLUTEN FREE

PREP TIME
15 mins
COOK TIME
40 mins
TOTAL TIME
55 mins

Serves: 15!!!
INGREDIENTS
  • 300g /10.5 oz dark 75% chocolate
  • 175g / 6 oz butter
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 6 eggs
  • 6 tbs double cream
  • 4 tsp granulated stevia (optional) or sweetener of choice to taste
INSTRUCTIONS
  1. Melt the chocolate and butter together over a low heat in a saucepan. Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly before adding the vanilla extract.
  2. In another bowl beat the eggs, cream and stevia together for 3-4 minutes (use a stick blender or hand whisk). It will go frothy and remain runny.
  3. Slowly add the egg mixture to the chocolate mixture in the saucepan, stirring all the time. As you add more egg mixture, the chocolate and butter will thicken to the consistency of custard.
  4. Pour into a prepared tin (see below). Grease a loose bottom cake tin with butter then line the loose bottom with baking paper and push through the outer ring so the baking paper adds a seal and stops the cake mixture from leaking.
  5. Bake at 180C/ 350F

NUTRITION INFORMATION
Serving size: 1 slice Calories: 237 Fat: 19.7gCarbohydrates: 12.1g Sugar: 11.2gProtein: 3.9g