Porridge - which is best for you?

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
Just taken a before lunch reading and I'm back down to 6.9 :D

I never realised that something as simple and straightforward as a bowl of porridge could cause such a spike in the BG. :shock:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Don't think porridge is for you Ardbeg, good that it came back down to 6.9 before lunch!

Nigel

wallycorker

Ardbeg said:
.........I never realised that something as simple and straightforward as a bowl of porridge could cause such a spike in the BG.........
That's the first lesson I learnt too when I started testing. I keep well away from it these days - and from almost every other cereal too!

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
Me too! And I have always had porridge for breakfast since childhood so it has hit hard! :cry: :cry:

fiona35

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Haven't posted for a while but I'd be lost without my porridge in the morning!

I have 30g of old fashioned cut oats, add a splash of milk, water and then when cooked I sprinkle 1tbsp flaked almonds, mixed berries and a tsp of splenda - yummy and it doesn't rise my BS either. It also keeps me filled till lunchtime which is a blessing otherwise I'd be looking for my next mela at 8am! :D

cavelioness

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Love porridge especially with cinnamon sprinkled over it or some stewed apple and cinnamon yum

graham64

Dislikes
Ironing, cooking, shopping. Pessimists, people with sense of humour bypass. Speed cameras Traffic wardens, Nanny state and Hypocrites
cavelioness said:
Love porridge especially with cinnamon sprinkled over it or some stewed apple and cinnamon yum

Hi CL long time no see how are you getting on :?:

Regards
Graham

cavelioness

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Have had a few problems non diabetes related thank god but for the rest really good....how are you still witch hunting?

graham64

Dislikes
Ironing, cooking, shopping. Pessimists, people with sense of humour bypass. Speed cameras Traffic wardens, Nanny state and Hypocrites
cavelioness said:
Have had a few problems non diabetes related thank god but for the rest really good....how are you still witch hunting?

Those days alas are no more:( the witches are long gone after been dispatched by my intrepid duck :lol:

Sorry to hear of your problems hope things improve for you.
Graham

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
Just as an update to this thread; I spoke to my DN yesterday to ask her to prescribe more test strips. She seemed surprised I had used a whole tub in only a month so I explained about my 4 to 5 meter readings per day, every other day or so - before and after breakfast, dinner and just before going to bed. She said this was far too much testing and I should only do so once or twice a week at most. :shock:

When I told her about my porridge experience she urged my to start taking porridge again due to its slow release of energy qualities.

Confused...............you will be. :roll:

ditzeeblonde

I also was told by my DN yesterday I should have porridge (are they on commission?? is porridge the only thing you can have for brekkie as a diabetic??)

My BG's were hitting 15's after porridge & now I'm usually in the 6's after breakfast, why on earth would you want to go back?

Beats me!!

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
As much as I enjoy porridge I'm loathe to start eating it again, knowing full well it will send my BG rocketing into double figures. :shock:

I might try what some forum regulars have suggested and sprinkle cinnammon on top and see if this reduces my BG. Also, I've started squeezing a whole grapefruit at breakfast time and drinking it's juice, to keep my BG down, but I have only started doing so since stopping porridge. Perhaps the combination of these two extra factors (grapefruit and cinnammon) might allow me to start having porridge again without the BG spike.

Time to experiment methinks. :p

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
I somehow doubt it Ardbeg! But test, test, test! :lol:

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Time to experiment methinks.
I've always been an advocate of porridge , (my dietitian is too and she's French) After reading what other people do I now also add a few blueberries ( actually myrtilles because they don't sell blueberries here) plus a few flaked almonds . I've found that I need less insulin for it than before and the meal is better 'balanced'.

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
Ardbeg said:
As much as I enjoy porridge I'm loathe to start eating it again, knowing full well it will send my BG rocketing into double figures. :shock:

I might try what some forum regulars have suggested and sprinkle cinnammon on top and see if this reduces my BG. Also, I've started squeezing a whole grapefruit at breakfast time and drinking it's juice, to keep my BG down, but I have only started doing so since stopping porridge. Perhaps the combination of these two extra factors (grapefruit and cinnammon) might allow me to start having porridge again without the BG spike.

Time to experiment methinks. :p

Hi guys,

Just a quick update. For the last two mornings I've had porridge for breakfast (Scotts porridge oats) with a healthy sprinkling of cinammon on top.

I've just taken BG reading before and 2 hours after breakfast this morning and they were 6.7 and 7.6 respectively. This is a massive improvement on the last time I did it, which was a post breakfast reading of over 12.

I will do the same exercise tomorrow, but, will also drink the juice of a freshly squeezed grapefruit immediately after my cinammon porridge and see if it brings my post breakfast reading down even further. :D

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
Hi guys,

Day two of my porridge experiment.

My pre breakfast reading this morning was higher than yesterday, at 8.8. However, having drank the juice of a freshly squeezed grapefruit along with the porridge generously sprinkled with cinammon, my reading two hours afterwards actually DROPPED to 7.7. :shock:

That's conclusive enough proof for me that drinking grapefruit juice and sprinkling cinnamon on your food does indeed help to keep your blood sugar low.

Just two of a great many tips I've picked up on this forum. :D

Cowboyjim

Hmm all intriguing stuff but since I am on statins I am forbidden grapefruits and juice therefrom I believe. Consequences could be serious....
I like porridge so might try it with cinnamon (or maybe vinegar....?) - traditionally it is salt you use but that's out coz of my hypertension.
I'd like to revert to porridge for convenience but not at the price of high BGs.
These days I have beans n cheese on toast or a mushroom/beansprout omlette but these are fiddly.

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
I'm back to having porridge regularly for breakfast.

I know use Scott's Porridge Oats with a generous sprinkling of cinnamon. Recently I've also added mixed seeds to it too. I know others on the forum recommend flaked almonds too, so I've added this to my shopping list for today.

John aka Wallycorker

Ardbeg said:
I'm back to having porridge regularly for breakfast.

I know use Scott's Porridge Oats with a generous sprinkling of cinnamon. Recently I've also added mixed seeds to it too. I know others on the forum recommend flaked almonds too, so I've added this to my shopping list for today.
Hi Ardbeg,

What's it doing to your blood glucose readings - one hour/two hours after eating?

Porridge has always sent my readings into double figures.

Best wishes - John

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
Hi John,

It's having very little effect on my BG readings now. Last time I checked it was just over a 1 unit increase. But remember, I now eat a smaller portion size (not the Desperate Dan portion I used to pre T2 diagnosis :wink: ) plus I add a healthy sprinkling of cinnamon powder and then drink the juice of a freshly squeezed (usually pink) grapefruit immediately afterwards, to combat the "spike" to my BG that porridge has caused me in the early days.

Touch wood, it appears to be working for me and porridge is quick and easy to make when I need to be up and out the house early in the mornings. :D