What to do with empty test strip pots?

SteveGladden

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have one of these every week. As well as being good custodian of various things in the workshop, we have grandchildren!
As they make such a lovely noise when opened and as they are child sized, Charlie (our 2yr old one out of four) now has thirty odd in his toy kitchen. They are good for playing with.

Pink_Minx

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow, I didn't think I'd get so many suggestions when I started this thread!

I have to say that I'm very jealous of some of you - your pots seem to be a good bit bigger than mine! I use AgaMatrix WaveSense Jazz test strips and the pots are too tiny for a lot of the suggestions. Can't believe I've got pot envy!

Reactions: 2 people
D

Deleted Account

I always used to use used film containers to store foreign currency ready for my next trip. With the advent of digital photography, I do not have the used film containers so I use strip pots instead.

Stiller

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I know it's ridiculous, but the test strip pots for my meter are so well-made that I don't want to throw them away when they're empty! I know, I know, don't judge me - I hear how stupid that sounds! :rolleyes: Is there anyone else out there who feels the same?

I can't think of anything particularly clever to do with them, other than storing tiny things and thought I'd throw down the gauntlet to see if there's anyone with imagination out there.

Consider the gauntlet... dropped...go!

Hi. I had the same feeling, did find a great use for them my wife is a primary school teacher and she removed the labels and the kids paint them to look like minions or football players .

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people
D

debrasue

A
I tie flies for a hobby, I drill a small hole in the lids and store wool and dubbing in them. You pull a small amount though the hole and take off what you need. Can use hot glue or rubber bands to keep several together.

I also use them for storing beads and fishing hooks in just place a label on the side to identify the size contained.
This would work brilliantly in my sewing box where all the cotton reels leak cotton everywhere and make rat's nests, apart from the fact that the pots are too small. :-(

D

debrasue

Wow, I didn't think I'd get so many suggestions when I started this thread!

I have to say that I'm very jealous of some of you - your pots seem to be a good bit bigger than mine! I use AgaMatrix WaveSense Jazz test strips and the pots are too tiny for a lot of the suggestions. Can't believe I've got pot envy!
I know exactly what you mean, @Pink_Minx - I hate throwing them away, too. I also love that gorgeous 'snap' they make when you open and close the lid! Very satisfying (and yes, I know, very sad!!)
:)

HjDedic

I know it's ridiculous, but the test strip pots for my meter are so well-made that I don't want to throw them away when they're empty! I know, I know, don't judge me - I hear how stupid that sounds! :rolleyes: Is there anyone else out there who feels the same?

I can't think of anything particularly clever to do with them, other than storing tiny things and thought I'd throw down the gauntlet to see if there's anyone with imagination out there.

I use mine for little safety pins I use as knitting stitch markers and to store seeds in over winter if I've collected them from the garden.

KarrenStowe

Hi. I'm a science teacher and they're invaluable for doing mini rockets - either put a small amount of lemon juice/vinegar, then half a teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda OR a small amount of water and various sizes/amounts of Alkaseltzer tablets, quickly put lid on, turn upside down and run - as the chemicals fizz, they produce gas and the pot flies up like a rocket (you need to make sure the lid is no longer attached though).

Have you thought about collecting your pots and donating them to either pre-schools, primary schools or secondary schools? Kids of all ages can do these experiments and they can do investigations varying the amount of liquid/solid to see what makes the best rockets.

I've done this with my own kids for years (I've been T1 for 30 years and as soon as my kids were old enough, we did this) and when I started working in a school, discovered they always needed film canisters - but my pots worked just as well, if not better than some of the pots they had so the schools I've worked in and the ones my kids went to have been rather well stocked now.

lucykop

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rude people
My husband uses my empty pots to put on top of garden canes when supporting plants. Even the strong winds haven't blown them off and any unused pots I keep seeds in.

busydiabeticmum

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi. I'm a science teacher and they're invaluable for doing mini rockets - either put a small amount of lemon juice/vinegar, then half a teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda OR a small amount of water and various sizes/amounts of Alkaseltzer tablets, quickly put lid on, turn upside down and run - as the chemicals fizz, they produce gas and the pot flies up like a rocket (you need to make sure the lid is no longer attached though)
I am a home ed parent and do this too... vinigar and bicarb lol. POP. Very satisfying... THOUGH you beat me to this suggestion... i am glad some one else does this too. Lol

Tirianne

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Great thread - and lots of good ideas too!! Here's one from me:
I drink 15 - 20 ml of cider vinegar in sparkling or still water before lunch and supper. I've discovered that it's a great way of helping to control BS levels. When I'm out for a meal, I had to miss this drink but then had a brainwave.... each little pot will hold up to 20ml of cider vinegar (without leaking) so now, even when I'm out for a meal or round a friend's house, I don't have to miss out. A few days ago when having a pub lunch with friends, I raised a few eyebrows as I opened my small pot and tipped it in to a glass of sparkling water!! I had to convince them it wasn't alcohol :))

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
I just take mine to the surgery and swap it for a new empty one. I thought every one did this :) what a newbie....lot to learn:)

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

Russem

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

I do a lot of craft things and store glitter in them, label them with the color of the glitter inside. The seal is tight so no spills.

Pink_Minx

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I just take mine to the surgery and swap it for a new empty one. I thought every one did this :) what a newbie....lot to learn:)

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

Hi @KevinPotts

I'm not sure if you appreciate I'm talking about the empty test strip pots, rather than a sharps bin..? Forgive me if I've got that wrong.

As for all the craft options - I'm very jealous that you all have so much glitter in your lives! Clearly I must try harder!

Last edited by a moderator:

Ladybear

I use them for carrying small quantities of shampoo/conditioner/shower gel/creams decanted from larger bottles or cut down piece of soap etc, when going away for a long weekend or such. Safe, leak free and more room in the suitcase. Also use to carry a few wet wipes/dog treats/poo bags when walking the dog. Amazing what you can get in a little pot. :)

no spam

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
You could use them as geocaching hides. A great way to get out and keep the BG levels down as well as having fun.

LinsT

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am soooo impressed with all the comments on here - amazing! Though I did have to google geocaching ...

CHICKY53

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I use my empty tubes for my daily tablets, I have 9 a day so i put up 10 lots of tablets at a time its easy to pick up a box in the morning and take tablets with breakers

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Good idea to keep one in your bag for used lancets etc I never thought of that and also find them very well made and am sure could be of use I havealways thrown mine away but do find it a waste so watches the thread with interest ...chuckles