low carb ready made foods and meals

betic

thought it would be a good idea to post anyones findings of low carb ready made foods.
i have been hunting through tescos and asda and reading the lables like a nutter...
i seem to have most luck in the frozen foods section meals with meats and sauces and curried meats with sauce, but i am in no doubt you low carb hungary shoppers out there must have come across a few gems in your searches!!! please tell us what you have found, as although i like cooked from natural, it is not always possible if you are running late or the wifes out and you fancy something speedy!! i will get my two findings from the freezer tomoz and post what they are...all those i have found have no potatoe or rice or such like in but i had a great chicken, peppers frozen meal which came in a superb sauce which was only about 8 grams carb for the whole tub 375grams...and there was enough sauce to cover my cauli mash as well...really nice :D

betic

crikey..i thought there would be loads of postings ...perhaps it needs a little more time...i am so impatient sometimes..lol
there must be quite a lot out there and i felt this would make a great list to help everyone on a shopping trip to get home a little faster.. :D ..what have you discovered gurumy???

graham64

Dislikes
Ironing, cooking, shopping. Pessimists, people with sense of humour bypass. Speed cameras Traffic wardens, Nanny state and Hypocrites
Hi betic,
I don't normally have ready meals apart from the odd occasion but I have enjoyed one from Asda's fresh tastes range.

2 chicken breasts with cheddar and mozzarella, wrapped in smoked streaky bacon, it's only 4g carbs :p for the 330g pack.

Cheers
Graham

betic

that sounds awsome....thats the sort of thing we are looking for..thanks, i will try that out over the weekend!!!! :D

Shazza

hi i have thought about this as well ... will delve to to bottom of freezer and see what my weightwatchers meals and asda good for you say .. my son always like my micro currys, i wouldnt mind an odd time

let you know

ditzeeblonde

I get some meals from Sainsburys Inspired to cook range.. carbs per half pack

Beef rump steaks with cheddar & mustard, 4.1 carbs
Chicken with garlic mushrooms, 0.4 carbs
Chicken white wine sauce, 1.7 carbs
Chicken wrapped in Prosciutto, 1.9 carbs
Chicken with cheese & bacon, 0.6 carbs
Cod Mornay, 3.7 carbs
Haddock with leek sauce, 0.5 carbs
Lamb steaks in garlic butter, 1.4 carbs
Pork medallions with apple & red wine sauce, 4.2 carbs

Ok can't type anymore as I'm now drooling!! :lol:

Reactions: LidiaS

betic

wow ditzee blond that is an awesome list!!i am drooling too!!1 must try some of these immediately, as some of the sauces taste really good in those i have tried..well done..come on shazz put your list up this could be just the thing we all need..yum yum :lol:

betic

iceland have a superb ready meal..its creamy chilli chicken in pesto and chilli sauce...nice and spicey but not too so...7.0 grams of carb for a full 375 gram pack and tastes real nice with a caulimash..and costs only 1.50 and takes 6 mins in the microwave !! :)

Reactions: LidiaS and Ultramum

Bluenosesol

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dark mornings, intolerance any one with a superiority complex...
HI Betic,

I eat tons of Fake Rice, but havent tried the cauli mash. How do you do that?.

Steve

suffolkboi61

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Marzipan ewwwwwwwwww
Only thing that puts me off the ready made meals is the amount of sugar in each one? who puts sugar in spag bol? or lasange? :roll:

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It may suprise you suffolk but 99% of chefs put sugar in spag bol and lasagne - and lots of other tomato based stuff too! So beware in Italian restaurants - lots of hidden sugars! :evil:

But I totally agree with you - you have to watch the salt and sat fat content too on ready meals - no problem if this doesn't concern you but its a concern for me - I do confess to using a ready meal on the very odd occasion for the same reasons as everyone else - time and convenience but try to steer clear if I can. they have to add something to make them taste good

There is one my dad gets from M&S - its haddock in a chees sauce that is low carb and low salt etc - he says its lovely but have never tried it myself so don't know the exact figures but as my dad eat low everyhing it must be ok :D

ditzeeblonde

Has anyone made Celeriac chips?? Will be trying them for the first time tomorrow night.

Have fallen hopelessly in love with celeriac!! :wink:

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Edwardia
I'm not anything like a whale. More a junoesque goddess!!! :lol:
I have NEVER been in the habit of eating ready meals. I did, years ago, enjoy a Kashmiri chicken in the Lean Cuisine range, which seems totally to have vanished.
the easiest way to control those carbs is to cook from scratch.
Ready food is too expensive. The nearest we get to ready meals in this house is canned tomatoes or fish fingers ( premium quality only)
We have 2 fridges bursting with fresh veggies and salads pretty much all the time.
Hana

jopar

There can be a lot of choice in the supermarket, for low carb options, but you would need to look more at the ready made dishes rather meals, in a high percentage of the population a meal does incude, rice, potatoe or pasta as part of it's make up..

Edwardia

Even though I may agree on the aspect of what may be added to any processed meal, by the manufacture be it low, high or inbetween carb.. I feel that you are being very rude to forum members indeed with your very unkind comment, this leave me to ponder if you actually did belong to this forum under anothe name, but were banned?? Either way your comments are unwanted indeed...

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Edwardia - I am not a ready meal lover, nor a low carber (av 130g a day) or indeed a whale! BUT I am a newish diagnosed T2 diabetic who visits here for help and advice and on the very rare occasion feel that I may contribute to a question asked.

While I may not agree with what some say there is no excuse for being so rude and personal - you may have cracked this pesky thing that is diabetes but other are new to it and struggling to get their head around all the things it brings along with it.

It can mean a massive change of lifestyle and that cannot be done all at once - its a transitional thing if it is going to be for life. If you are used to conveninece foods etc it can take a while to get into a new mind frame. Also we know nothing about things happening in others lives - only what they choose to tell us.

never ever thought I would say this on a db forum but TAKE MORE SUGAR WITH IT - you need to sweeten up :wink: You have some good points and ideas but to pass those on to others takes social skills as well as the knowledge

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
There is no point in getting older if you don’t get any wiser – or at the very least somewhat cynical! 8)

So I ask, are the postings by Edwardia merely a wind up? :idea: Why would someone genuinely on the forum to find help and help others be so crass? :shock:

My dad once told me about kids on their street who used to tie the end of a ball of string to a door knocker and hide themselves. They would then pull the other end of the string in order to knock on the door so that the householder would come to see who was there. By that time they had run away of course. :roll: In some cases, if they were really bad boys (or girls), they would wait until the door was answered and shout abuse before running away. :roll:

In this case could it be post and run? :roll:

If not then perhaps Edwardia will come back and proffer the owed apologies.

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
I feel that warrior woud be a truly undeserved title - but understand what you are getting at! :roll:

Moogie1947

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Back to the ready meals and ignore the controversy - as a vegetarian I sort of envy you all that low carb protein i.e. meat.
As I have not eaten it for at least 50 years it is too late to start now, however, is it really easier to defrost and heat up a ready meal than grill a couple of chops or pan fry a fillet of fish or grill some tinned sardines and pop onto low carb bread toasted? (See the 1 minute microwave bread elsewhere).

Many types of tinned cods or herring roe must be low carb too and delicious (think caviar) and good with toast or veg or salad.

Almost anyone can make an omelette - the ultimate fast food - served with a few pan fried mushrooms and some green veg.