feet - what do you do?

TROUBR

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi

As a newbie type 1 I have been told to take care of my feet. not entirely sure what I should be doing though! I read somewhere I should be checking them nightly but what for? :? Do you all check them, is there anything else you do as well?

Thanks heaps - sorry if this is a dim question.

Louise

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
First rule,don't walk about barefoot! If you have cats/dogs check feet for embedded hair!That happened to me last time I had feet checked,I had a cat hair stuck in my foot!Make sure your toenails are not digging into you toes and that your shoes are a good fit .

sixfoot

Louise, as an old soldier ( now ) treat your feet as though you like them !! Apart from what Sue has said Hi BS levels will ultimately damage your lower limb blood vessels which leads to the sensation of Prickly feet or something akin to Pins n Needles which leads to loss of sensation and further and worse comps. I regularly soak mine in a warm salty water, check for cuts Sores and Blisters - Things that may not be healing well.

Definitly dont want to cause alarm :shock:

Just a quick once over can stop a lot of probs later and if your feet feel ok chances are you will too :D

Dave P

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Don't want to disagree with sixfoot,(he's bigger than me!! :lol: ) but don't soak feet too much.Soaking them can make them too soft and allow infection into the skin.The warm salty water is ,however,a good idea but not for too long.

bluebird

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
Grumpy folks and taking tablets
Hi

After you have showered in the morning dry your feet well making sure that in between your toes are throughly dry. Check to see if there are any blisters, dry skin patches or areas where the skin has been broken. Use an emolient cream on your feet (not in between the toes) in the morning and before you go to bed. Avoid shoes that are likely to cause blisters. If you have tingling or numbness in your feet talk to your DN about it. Never walk about barefoot. Follow this routine and you will have soft, happy feet.

Regards Val

Graham55

Hi,
I agree with all that has been said, The one thing I always do is go see a good local Chiropodist let them take a good look at your feet and do all the tests, there closer than you can get to them, lol.
After you have had them cut your toe nails it fells wonderfull and it`s not expencive either.

TROUBR

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks for the replys. I shall try to make sure I add foot care to my evening routine and will track down a good foot person in my area!

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Tip from my chiropodist.Is you are bothered with soft corns between your toes ,buy a bottle of surgical spirit and wipe between your toes daily with it.It dries up between your toes and stops the corns.

whitemare

Type of diabetes
LADA
Diabetics get free podiatry. Get your GP to refer you.

I also treat my feet to emollient cream nightly and check them every time I change shoes.

Regard sandals as the work of the Devil.

Good socks are essential. Spending £15 on a pair may seem extravagant, but I'd rather be a little poorer than have blisters. Socks should fit well and have flat seams. Better to pay more for properly fitted shoes and take care of them than go for fashion and ruin your tootsies.
Trainers are good. Avoid high heels, no more than an inch and a half.

Nellie

Surely what is necessary depends upon your glycemic control, whether you have good circulation to your feet and whether or not you have neuropathy. It is important that you have your feet checked regularly for any first indications of neuropathy, loss of circulation ( simple filament test and pedal pulses)
If you have problems with these it makes very good sense to take care not to get sores that may not heal well. Non healing sores on the feet and lower legs can unfortunately lead to amputation. All the other posters advice here is relevant.

Luckily at the moment( and hopefully in the future) I have none of these problems and my feet heal very well. I sometimes get blisters after running long distances, particulalry in summer but they mend quickly. I use compeed for blisters. It says not to if you are diabetic but my consultant agrees that it makes no sense if you have no foot/lower limb problems. I most definitely sense if I tread on something so have no hesitation about wearing sandals, going barefeet in the house, by the swimming pool or at yoga classes. I still wear high heels occassionally. ( don't wear them very often now but thats more an age and comfort thing).

AmberAnn

May I also thank everyone for advice given...I'm a newby T2...got my 2nd appt this fri with my DN and she said she will look at my feet..so far there ok ish...I have no hard skin or corns but some odd dry patches but I do cream my feet nightly with a foot cream always have done..and don't go barefoot anymore which is a shame.

whitemare

Type of diabetes
LADA
Aaargh!!!!!!!

Just back from my walking holiday. Two days in, I get a sudden loss of sensation on the top of my right foot amounting to at least a third of the surface.

Is this normal? Up till now, all the neuropathy was in the sole.

I am due for a check with the diabetic nurse next month........ Better maker it early next month, and revisit the podiatrist too.

My bloods appear to be pretty good, high sixes............ What more can I do?