Senseonic 90 day CGM

DR_Hornet

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Been reading about this. Diabetic technology is really moving at a pace!

This one is still a few years from coming to the market but it has been trialled in Europe. It works by using an implant under your skin which lasts 90 days. The implant sends info to a receiver which in-turn sends it to a phone. The receiver can easily be taken off / on at anytime.

But what happens to the implant after 90 days? Anyone know??? Is it somehow removed from under your skin??? Does it simply degrade? Can't find anything on this key point.

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I don't know but I imagine it will have to be removed, like a contraceptive implant. I've seen photos of the Senseonic sensor and I can't see how it could possibly degrade.

Reactions: 2 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I'm fairly sure their website states that when it expires it is removed. If you read the small print, the 90 days is the extreme. The duration states 60-90 days. The issue being, when it fails the only way to get it dealt with is book an appointment and get it done.

The other question that this raises is what of the scar tissue it creates?

Reactions: 4 people

DR_Hornet

Type of diabetes
Type 1
At the moment this has no legs but this tech could evolve into something useful. I love all these companies fighting it out for CGM, pumps, closed loop pumps and eventually the bionic Pancras.

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

Reactions: 2 people