T1 ....low carb

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I do low carb, 20 or less a day and my insulin doses needed to be drastically reduced. In fact to such small doses I rarely fear hypos because 1/2 or 1 unit can only go so far.

If you have been eating carbs and are going to lower them be very diligent to test your bs as your insulin needs will most likely need to be reduced.

Personally I only have benefited from low carb and no side effects

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @AnniebT1

Yes you can low carb as a T1 but you will need to adjust your insulin regime. I lowered my carbs over several months so I could observe how my insulin needs changed as I went lower. I guess it depends how low you want to go.

Reactions: 2 people

Stefans

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @AnniebT1!
I started Low Carb Jan 2015, I did it all in at once, BUT I took NO bolus at meals, I waited 30 min / 1 hour, test and bolused as per test result, after a while I reduced the times and learned the amount to bolus. It worked out fine, but it takes a few months (or many) before you learn how to bolus for protein.
Now I take the same amount of basal and about 1/3 to 1/2 bolus as before on high carb. Latest 3 HbA1c's have been 5.8, 5.6 and 5.7, dropped from 7.9ish on high/normal carb diet. I have been a T1 for over 35 years so I produce no insulin what so ever.

Lows for me is much easier to control than before and I get less, the effect of one is much less, I can be at 3.0 and be fine. I can east 2 - 4 grams of sugar and be fine, instead of before when I needed to eat 15-30, drink one coke and then want more.

I feel much better, I did not realize how bad the high/low/high/low makes you feel.
I also did not realize how bad I feel when I'm over 8 in blood sugar, since it happened so often I did not notice it, now I do!!!

@dex44lego9 this is for you too!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

Mrs Vimes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've been lchf for 3 years. To begin with you have test A LOT! Before I got my cgm I tested through the night for safety too. You will start noticing that you get a very small spike from protein but it won't be straight away. It could be 1-3 hours afterwards. I'm on a pump now so a meal that may take 2-3 units I'll stagger. I may take 1 unit then 2 over 2 hours. Amount of fat will also delay a spike from protein.
As the saying goes YMMV. So what fits for 1 person may be different for others. Testing is so important until you get to grips. My basal has dropped by 10 units and I bolus 5-8 units of insulin a day. Now my total daily insulin is around 20-25 units compared to 60-80 units before.

smag3

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Doctors telling me that I probably know more than them
Yes you can! I have been type 1 for 51 years and lchf for just over a year. Who knew bg results could be so good! I found it much easier once I had my libre as you do have to test a lot.
Good luck. Go for it.

DR_Hornet

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I do low carb, 20 or less a day and my insulin doses needed to be drastically reduced. In fact to such small doses I rarely fear hypos because 1/2 or 1 unit can only go so far.

If you have been eating carbs and are going to lower them be very diligent to test your bs as your insulin needs will most likely need to be reduced.

Personally I only have benefited from low carb and no side effects
Can you run through a typical day of food and insulin? I've drastically dropped my carbs but nowhere near 20. Most days I try and go for under 100, which is achievable.

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Sure.
BF is guacamole( 1/2 an avocado) and celery and sometimes a slice if deli turkey ( 1 oz)
Lunch is about 2 oz of protein with some type of mayo dressing. I mix mayo with horseradish, mustard or a spicy hot sauce. I put it in a big piece of romaine or Boston lettuce. I had a pinch of onion and some scallion onion. I also have 1/4 more avocado with celery and radish
Dinner is 3 oz protein with the mayo thing either on a salad or lettuce wrap and a small handful of veggies along with the last1/4 avocado.
Snacks are a few nuts, seeds or olives.

I keep my meals small and protein according to Ron Rosedale and the mTOR pathway. Avocado has been a miracle for keeping bs steady and taming my appetite. It keeps me from dropping and spiking.

With each of these meals I take 1/2 unit, down from 8-12 when I ate 20 carbs at each meal. I take I unit lantus at night

I could NEVER stop the hypos and spikes even with just 20 carbs. I don't fear the hypos anymore.

Hope that hrlps