Honeymoon period

Ellie's mum

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi all,

I was just wondering what signs/symptoms you experienced when coming out of your honeymoon periods.

My daughter has been in her honeymoon period since 2 weeks after diagnosis and is currently on a low carb/insulin ratio and low basal and her bloods tend to be in the 4/5s before meals.

She's had no hypos for just over a week and her bloods are now in the 6/7s before meals with random 9&10s before bed. Tonight it was 12.2!

There's no signs of illness, nothing has changed with what she eats, the only thing that's different is she's on school holidays but I would say she is more active at home than she would be at school.

Could this be a sign that the honeymoon period is coming to an end?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

SurreyDad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
My 5 year old daughter was diagnosed with T1 around 6 weeks ago and hasn't entered the honeymoon period yet - but our Dr has told us it will be a severe drop in levels once she enters it, so I guess hypos will be the tell tale signs.

As for high numbers... they drive me crazy. We are still fine tuning her insulin and she has 2 time blocks in place... but it seems any snack she has spikes her levels!

Reactions: 2 people

Ellie's mum

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I think from my daughters point of view the honeymoon period has been really hard on her.

Up until recently she hadn't gone 2 days without a hypo and her insulin was being tweaked roughly every 3 days. It didn't help that in a morning she wasn't getting any symptoms so even though we checked regularly she could still be hypo by lunch time as her bloods dropped quickly. Being a girl that likes her food, having to treat a hypo before she can eat doesn't go down well!

I'm sure plenty of people would prefer to be in the honeymoon period but my daughter can't wait to see the back of it x

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hope that your daughters levels soon stabilise. Not being a T1 I don't really know what the honeymoon period is

LauraC27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello Ellie & Ellie's mum! I was diagnosed almost a year ago.. honeymoon phase kicked in around 2 weeks after diagnosis and lasted up until very recently, there was a point i came off my Novorapid insulin all together and was just using my Levemir morning and night, that was enough to keep my sugars stable that went on for quite a while (it was nice, but then i got used to it and a rise in blood sugars was a shock! I almost forgot they were coming! haha). The only signs and symptoms really are that your sugars will start to rise at times when they maybe were not before. It's a rollercoaster for a while and sometimes it will feel like there is no rhyme or reason to any of it! For example sometimes i would need to inject for breakfast.. but not for lunch as i would have enough insulin inside me working and if i had been walking around alot before or after lunch etc.. my sugar levels would stay stable without needing insulin. Its all trial and error for a while! Good luck with everything, it does get less confusing and easier as time goes on and you get to know how your body feels etc! If you need anything else or have any worries or questions.. always shout it out on the forum! These guys are great and someone will always get back to you. x

Ellie's mum

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thank you.

We've had a battle with low sugars for a while now so the higher bloods are a bit of relief for Ellie, we get the odd really high number (10&11s) but it settles itself back down again x

Hannah3003

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi i was diagnosed in January and am still in the honeymoon phase. I am so sensitive to insulin even 1/2 unit can make a massive difference to whether I go high or low. It is very frustrating but I think it'd preferable to being out of it. I can ~slightly~ get away with eating food high in carbs

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum mobile app

CarlyB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Tomatoes, snobby behaviour
Hi I was diagnosed as honeymooning in March this year and am still there. Bloods are fine during the day with no insulin before meals. I just have levemir before bed but wake up slightly high first thing in the morning.

I am finding the honeymoon period a strange one. I'm grateful for the warning that I'll be fully type 1 soon and can enjoy some luxuries in terms of food. On the other hand, I'm finding the not knowing when it's all going to kick off quite difficult to get my head around. Every high reading sends me into worry mode and everytime I feel a bit off I think it's down to the diabetes! Paranoid central over here!