Strong genetic disposition to type 2: diabetes inevitable?

Actaeon70

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Noise, drunk people
I was diagnosed with T2 at age 32, then a year later my mother was diagnosed (aged 60) as well. I don't know of any other diabetics in the family, but then again I don't know a lot of my relatives. My GP mentioned that taking a particular antipsychotic medication was also a factor in my case.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
This is a subject I have been trying to discuss with my grandson who is 21 and still thinks he is invincible.

His other grand parents are both T2 his other grandfather's father was T1 and his mother was T2 , my Aunt is T2. My wife's brother is LADA/1.5 and two of her cousins are T1 brother and sister both from early childhood .well from when they where babies.

I have been trying to persuade him to take more care in what he eats as there is I think a genetic factor with Diabetes but he just laughs and says there's no chance he will become diabetic. Maybe in time he will come to take it more seriously.

Jordi77

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was diagnosed in 1994 and the only person in my family who had type 1 diabetes was my aunt and then a few years before my great aunt died she was diagnosed with type 2 Diabetes and that was the only people who had it until 2001 when my mum was diagnosed with type 2 and then my uncle was diagnosed with type 2 in 2003 and a year later for his wife so I was told that it goes back through the family a long time before I even got it making it on my mum's aunt's side of the family having it as well and it is on my father's side of the family just he is on the boarder line of type 2 Diabetes but my aunt and great aunt have it on that side of the family

Diamum5972

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Prejudiced people (my son has learning difficulties) and not being able to find a job
My maternal grandmother was type 2 and went blind through retinopathy, then the same thing happened to my mum less than a year after being diagnosed type 2. One of my cousins is type 1 and is developing nerve damage and I was diagnosed type 2 last October. My 22 year old son and my younger brother both had tests after displaying symptoms but were negative