Eggs & T2- Should we eat them at all?

DominicLaiYew

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Too many to list
Hello members!
Just read an article from Nutrition .com ( aka: Dr. Colin T Campbell's web) advocating that eggs are actually bad for us T2 people.
Now this has got me really confused as i have recently read a medical article saying that egg are great source of protein & good as a combination to our LCHF diet.
It say's taking more than 2 egg will quicken heart attacks later on for T2 patients.
Also, some Dr.'s like Jason Fung & Micheal Morsley say intermediate fasting help us improve on our blood sugar levels, i also read articles saying it might do us no good. ( T1 exempted)

Could anyone shed some light on this matter?

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ah yes, Dr Campbell, the author of the thoroughly discredited The China Study. He's one of the committed veg*n "researchers" who heavily slants his evidence to promote his cause. There are a number of masterful debunkings of the China Study online if you go looking for them.

Reactions: 2 people

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
Eggs are wonderful, eggs are great...I eat lots of them:)

I fast for 42 hours once a week and generally 16 hours from dinner to lunch each day. The latter because I have never been a brekkie eater. There are lots of intermittent fasters within this community. It helps us control and stabilise our Blood Glucose:)

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I eat loads of eggs - they are little bombs of nutrition and so versatile - have no problems

Reactions: 4 people

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I eat loads of eggs - they are little bombs of nutrition and so versatile - have no problems

Totally agree, eggs rock! If you choose to be LCHF they are a great breakfast staple - poached, boiled, fried, scrambled - the possibilities are endless :)

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Eggs & T2- Should we eat them at all?
Eggs: Yes, great flavourome food
T2s: No, I never eat them, that would be canibalism (and uncontrolled ones can be a little sweet for my taste):wideyed:

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
How can the humble, but versatile little egg be bad for type 2's :eek: sounds like Dr Campbell needs to get his egghead examined, so eggasperating :rolleyes:

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello members!
Just read an article from Nutrition .com ( aka: Dr. Colin T Campbell's web) advocating that eggs are actually bad for us T2 people.
Now this has got me really confused as i have recently read a medical article saying that egg are great source of protein & good as a combination to our LCHF diet.
It say's taking more than 2 egg will quicken heart attacks later on for T2 patients.
Also, some Dr.'s like Jason Fung & Micheal Morsley say intermediate fasting help us improve on our blood sugar levels, i also read articles saying it might do us no good. ( T1 exempted)

It depends on how badly you need to eat eggs.
Everything has some risk, you need to read the pro's, and con's, then decide which influences you most.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello members!

Hi Dominic
Well I eat eggs and fast (obviously not at the same time). BG's are lowest when fasting. In my opinion , which lets face it is all we can give, both are fine. If you are doing LCHF and it works for you then I would continue with it and eat what you think is LCHF.

nickm

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Don't understand your question. What are you going to eat if you don't eat the eggs? Nothing? (ie low calorie) if you already eat too much, giving the eggs a miss is probably a good idea. Toast? Coco Pops?
Don't be conned by any fad diet that tells you to limit eggs.

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What about a none fad diet that tells you to limit eggs?
Say one that suggests maybe oily fish as an alternative?

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
You can find something wrong with every food. The stress and fear of being afraid to put anything in your mouth is far worse than an egg. I don't eat them everyday but I do when I crave them. Always organic. I eat 1 if it's egg salad and two if it's an omelette. I find them to be very bs friendly.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't particularly like eggs, but they've always been a part of my diet for well over 70 years, and I'm not dead from a heart attack yet.

As a T2 I find that my weekly 3 egg omelettes with a little added protein and veggies are in fact one of the best foods for not spiking my glucose levels.

So it depends on whether you choose to believe a blogger who may have an axe to grind or the T2 people who're actually eating eggs in their low carb diets. (We're also told by those who think they know best that plenty of carbs are good for us, when the opposite is actually true.)

Robbity

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
For the sake of balance, plenty on here don't eat an excess of eggs, and they haven't died yet either.
I eat a few, but again, everything, (including some carbs), in moderation nowadays.

What axe does the blogger the op refer to have?
Can't say I know a lot about him.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For the sake of balance, plenty on here don't eat an excess of eggs, and they haven't died yet either.
I eat a few, but again, everything, (including some carbs), in moderation nowadays.

What axe does the blogger the op refer to have?
Can't say I know a lot about him.

Colin T Campbell is a US based Whole Food Plant Based diet aficionado and boy does he dislike LCHF... he even goes on to amazon and gives 1 star reviews to LCHF diet books..

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
he even goes on to amazon and gives 1 star reviews to LCHF diet books..

Haha! That alone makes me want to reject any idea the man may promote. Haha!

Thanks for that wee factoid. :)

kesun

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Dominic
Well I eat eggs and fast
I prefer to eat mine slowly, but I absolutely love them! I even keep ducks so I can eat big eggs with extra-big yolks. Eggs and bacon are my basic breakfast. Tea eggs are my standby for packed lunches and picnics. Devilled eggs have often saved me from high-carb cocktail hour hell. I deeply regret the egg-white omelette phase of my life as the yolk is the best bit.

Kate

Welshman1952

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was no fan of eggs even before I became vegan. Sure I can see many ethical reasons to avoid them, but from a purely dietary point of view I can't see too many issues. The only thing to be cautious about is cholesterol, so I guess you should try to steer away from too many 30 egg omelettes!!

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Colin T Campbell is a US based Whole Food Plant Based diet aficionado and boy does he dislike LCHF... he even goes on to amazon and gives 1 star reviews to LCHF diet books..

Many people dislike LCHF, it doesn't mean they have an axe to grind, it means they have an opinion.
Judging from the responses on here, I'm sure he could equally say some seem to have an axe to grind.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Many people dislike LCHF, it doesn't mean they have an axe to grind, it means they have an opinion.
Judging from the responses on here, I'm sure he could equally say some seem to have an axe to grind.
Guilty as charged..