Insulin to carb app?

Moodle

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi
Just joined this very useful site and thought I would leap in with a question.

Does anyone know of an app that you can enter how many carbs you have and it tells you how much insulin you need based on ratios you can preset it with?

Many thanks in advance!
Nik

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This is called a bolus calculator, I don't think there is an app for this, but it's a function that many glucose monitors have. Unfortunately, I don't use a fancy glucose monitor, but the accu check expert appears to be quite popular - https://www.accu-chek.co.uk/gb/products/metersystems/avivaexpert.html - maybe you could do a search for reviews on the forum if it looks like something you would be interested in.

Hopefully someone who has used one will be able to chip in shortly!

Jordi77

Type of diabetes
Type 2
You can also get it on the bayer contour next usb meter as it let's you put both insulin and carbs into it as well as your bgs of 2000 in the memory and has a rechargeable battery inside it and lasts longer than the ordinary batteries as you have to buy them now and don't get them from the companies like you used to as royal mail won't deliver them to you and depending which batteries you need can cost you a bomb in money

iHs

I sometimes use an app called PredictBGL which will record blood glucose levels and be a bolus wizard that will also feature insulin on board.

jocat44

I use an app called rapidcalc, I enter my blood glucose level and the amount of carbs, it then tells me amount of insulin on board, any correction and the amount of insulin I should take although I can adjust this if I need to. Also stores my basal injections, you have to work through series of menus giving it correction factors etc so it can work things out. I have found it invaluable since starting on basal bolus
Jo

Moodle

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks guys for all the replies. Have plumped for the rapidcalc as it seems to be pretty easy to set up and does all I need. Although they do like sending emails to you! :)

BlondeMonkey

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I switched to the accu check expert blood glucose machine and now would never be without it. After working with your health team and a lot of testing, you can programme ratios for normal days different ratios if your insulin sensitivity is different during the day. You can also programme ratios for exercise, illness, stress and menstrual which as a women is a god send! It also tells you how much active insulin you have left from your previous injection. Like all things the first few months is hard work but definitely worth it for better control!

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

Moodle

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not sure whether its available for android or not @steveo4 ! I would of thought so!

Thanks @BlondeMonkey I have been using that one for a few years, really does a good job! I am moving over to a Medronic 640G pump soon and although it has a bolus wizard on the pump it doesn't on the blood tester, which you can remotely give yourself insulin with...perhaps I should learn to do the maths with the ratios instead! :happy: