Off my Metformin in just over 4 months :)

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just went to see the Doc, my blood pressure is now normal again - it was sky high in Jan. So, given my HbA1c reduction and my tumbling cholesterol she says I can stop the Metformin and praised my hard work and dedication.

Feel so so happy now, it was my goal and I met it.

Huge thank you to everyone on this fabulous forum who has supported me on my Diabetes journey, I honestly know I couldn't have done it without you all. Thanks for listening on my bad days, and praising me on my good ones. McDs, KFC and Pizza Hut are all history - I have a new, more exciting, more interesting life - who'd have thought a Diabetes diagnosis would be a good thing eh?

And now, a good LCHF dinner with obviously lashing of cheese and red wine.

Thank you Forum.

Reactions: 14 people

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done.. very impressive results. Just remember to keep it up!
Seriously very pleased for you.

impgolf

Well done PenfoldAPD! LCHF is definitely the way to go for most of us, whether diabetic or not. (And well done to DCUK for ' getting it' !).

Reactions: 2 people

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
Congratulations on all of your hard work paying off. Fab-u-lous!

AtkinsMo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Very well done, a very inspirational story, to those who will listen!

Lesa

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Wh
Just went to see the Doc, my blood pressure is now normal again - it was sky high in Jan. So, given my HbA1c reduction and my tumbling cholesterol she says I can stop the Metformin and praised my hard work and dedication.

Feel so so happy now, it was my goal and I met it.

Huge thank you to everyone on this fabulous forum who has supported me on my Diabetes journey, I honestly know I couldn't have done it without you all. Thanks for listening on my bad days, and praising me on my good ones. McDs, KFC and Pizza Hut are all history - I have a new, more exciting, more interesting life - who'd have thought a Diabetes diagnosis would be a good thing eh?

And now, a good LCHF dinner with obviously lashing of cheese and red wine.

Thank you Forum.
What did you do to get off metmorfin.

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Lesa my blood glucose, cholestorol and blood pressure all high on diagnosis. Basically changed my lifestyle, now follow LCHF diet (though maybe 40/60 g of carbs some days - often less) and upped my exercise. I now swim for a solid 30 minutes every day. I've also lost 10 kgs since January.

Metformin was making my stomach funny (don't think you need the details), I also just want to get off all the drugs I can.

Cholestorol now down to 3.6 and blood pressure in the normal range. Next HbA1c in September.

If you are willing to invest time and effort I believe you can control your diabetes with diet and exercise. You have to be committed though, many on here are more committed than me - I've had a few wobbles but we are getting there!

Reactions: 4 people

zeilende

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Yes, well done ! Great encouragement to those of us aiming for that result !! My last diabetes review was March 2015 but I am due to see the new practice nurse this coming Tuesday. Over the last 15 months, as requested, I have lost just over a stone (7 kg) and am hoping that I can stop the Metformin. Michael Mosley's book and his low sugar diet was my guide and eating as much fibre as possible each day has enabled my wayward digestive system to - how shall I say ? - cope with the medication.

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, well done ! Great encouragement to those of us aiming for that result !! My last diabetes review was March 2015 but I am due to see the new practice nurse this coming Tuesday. Over the last 15 months, as requested, I have lost just over a stone (7 kg) and am hoping that I can stop the Metformin. Michael Mosley's book and his low sugar diet was my guide and eating as much fibre as possible each day has enabled my wayward digestive system to - how shall I say ? - cope with the medication.

Best of luck with your meeting this week. With determination I firmly believe you can manage it with diet and exercise. Not saying it's easy, but worth it :)

Lindy1706

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done you x

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

Munkki

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good work, @PenfoldAPD !

Reading your account this morning is so motivating! I have my next blood test in half a year, so I try not to become complacent, and not too rigid. All the best :D

zeilende

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Best of luck with your meeting this week. With determination I firmly believe you can manage it with diet and exercise. Not saying it's easy, but worth it :)

Thanks, PenfoldAPD and Lindy1706, the review went well and I know I should have asked about the numbers but apparently I am now 4.2 on something and the number 76 from last year is now down to 46. My blood pressure is up but yesterday's exertions painting the shed may account for it ! Back in a week's time for a further blood pressure check, when I shall ask again about the numbers!! At my age, I am very pleased ---and I now love salad, even in frosty weather.....:)

berylc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
When people who know nothing about the LCHF diet tell me I'm killing myself being on it. I was killing myself not being on it!
Well done @PenfoldAPD a great achievement.
It was the metformin 'effect' that really pushed me to do something about my diabetes. Nothing on earth would ever make me take it again!
I'm not sure how many carbs I eat each day, will have to work it out, but certainly not many.