Freestyle libre

xkerrybabessx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Has anyone brought freestyle libre sensors before, if so can we claim relief from vaule added vat or do we need to be on benefits? Tryed looking online but got so confused help pleases thanks x

Sent from my SM-G925F using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

T1D Sarah

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It uses a fancy term for a person with diabetes haha i tick the box because it just means if you have diabetes you automatically qualify for it :)

T1D Sarah

ergusto

Type of diabetes
Type 1
When completing the checkout process on the Freestyle Libre website you check a box and it automatically deducts the VAT from the total. You do not need to provide proof of your condition or apply for the VAT relief separately, which I had assumed I was going to have to when I first ordered. It's really very simple.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've seen the TV ads for the Freestyle Libre and it looks like a great piece of kit - easy to use and simple to read the results. Only one problem: I was made redundant a while ago and am living on a tiny occupational pension. Having had a look online, the cost of the test kit is about two weeks income for me! Just can't afford it. As a type 2 diabetic and daughter of someone who lost his sight because of diabetic complications I think it's really important to test my blood regularly but the NHS will not pay for test strips for my current meter and I'm beginning to feel that the health service spends a lot of time complaining about how much diabetes and obesity cost the NHS but is not willing to treat patients sufferers get from either condition...

Reactions: joss.t2

Brit90

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I just got mine today (On my birthday) and I have inserted into the back of my arm and I have 40 minutes to wait before I can test myself.
As I was doing it, I was trying to work out the cost of things and there is no reason why the government should not be paying for this. Obviously the government would get a discount on the RRP price, but it's still the same as the AccuChek Mobile I use. The cassettes are about £30 each for 50 tests - which if you use the new regulations you test just twice a day, but you know you should be testing more, but don't because who wants to keep pricking their fingers. As for the finger pricker lancet catridges they are about £7 for 24 tests.
So with some basic maths - 28 days @ 3 times a day = 2 cassettes, 4 lancet cartridges. Total £84.
Two Libre sensors £96 with the benefits of unlimited tests per day so that means more accurate reading. As you know the more accurate the reading the better your health will be.
I may post about it again over the next day or so - see how it goes - but I will still use it with the AccuChek for the first few days just to make sure.

Jasperville

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Trouble is, I am on my second libre, and still use my finger prick tests nearly as much, to calibrate the libre, as it is simply not accurate and every sensor is different.

Jane!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have the same problem . It's great for knowing if I'm rising or falling but today, for eg, when I'm poorly & thinking I'm doing really well with a steady 3 hours of 7.1, I just finger pricked & I'm 9.5!